2019 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting RG

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting RG position?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting RG position?

• Retain Mike Remmers
    • Sign an external free agent (state preference in thread)
    • Draft a replacement (state preference in thread)
    • Promote Danny Isidora
    • Other (state preference in thread)

15 hours ago, The_Dude said:

3 year $18 million extension. Vikes could have easily been in on that. 

If he had entered the free agent market, he likely would have gotten more than that, which is why I said they wouldn't be in play for him. They wouldn't have won any negotiation battle because of their cap situation.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

If he had entered the free agent market, he likely would have gotten more than that, which is why I said they wouldn't be in play for him. They wouldn't have won any negotiation battle because of their cap situation.  

If he entered the market, he'd probably command $10 million per year. The cap situation isn't that much of a hindrance. They can have close to $40 million in cap space if they cut Remmers, Sendejo and Rudolph. Barr and Richardson don't have to be in the plans, though I'd prefer to keep one. Glowinski was one of the only FA guards I had an interest in. The 30+ year olds on the market just don't make sense to me. Maybe Saffold would be a good pickup.

Not sure what change over happened, but OTC now has us with less than $7M in cap space. I was working on a mock when I noticed it. Even with cutting the “big 3” of Remmers, Sendejo, and Rudolph (plus trading away Rhodes and Treadwell) there’s still less than $33M in cap space. Not 40M. Add in deals for minor free agents, our RFAs and ERFAs and that brought it down to around $22M. 

Had us sign Matt Paradis (Kubiak connection) and KJ Wright and that left us with under $10M. Rookie pool after the Rhodes trade was around $8.4M (taking out the rookie minimum salary x number of picks to make the rookie pool top 51 cap space). 

Its going to be a tight offseason baring some major creativity from the front office. 

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Its going to be a tight offseason baring some major creativity from the front office. 

It sure will be. The team has some options with restructures on guys that aren't far into their deals and a possible move with Griffen. Making those moves would be an indication of the tight offseason that is coming. A team can only afford to overpay so many players.

I would be overpaying for offensive line before overpaying for any of the other positions that the team has a choice at this offseason. Other positions have guys on rookie contracts that have more potential than the rookie contract guys they have available to fill some of their holes on the offensive line.

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Saffold would be the only 30+ yr old I'd consider, but even then, it would depend upon what he's asking for.  Even after cutting Remmers and Sendejo, I'm not for hamstringing the team spending $8-9M on a OG.  

I agree. I do have issues with the team throwing around $10 million to average starters, because that's what we're talking about here. Sure, average on the Ol would be a huge improvements over last year, but then you're losing better than average talent on defense in Barr, Richardson, or a CB to make it work.

if the defense takes a major hit and loses two or three starters, I don't think bringing in an overpaid OG will be enough to compensate. 

Thats why I support spending the money on the defense (maybe bring back Compton and Easton cheap at LG) and using the draft to rebuild the OL.

Archived