Unpopular Opinion: Last night showed that the NFL OT rules are great as-is

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's insinuated from a ton of these responses. Maybe you specifically didn't say it, but plenty are saying it.

If the KC defense was on the field to begin with, maybe we'd get a chance on seeing the KC offense. Alas, they didn't show up when it matters the most.

That's where this narrative needs to go - not some discussion on how rules need to be changed. 

Play defense. That's going to get the offense on the field.

Okay let's get something straight, I'm not 100 % against the sudden death rule, however, I'm totally against it BECAUSE it's a coin toss.

I totally agree that the KC defense lost that game, and they deserved to.

I just don't understand why we couldn't see the patriots defense too, and see if they could have make a stop.

But I understand the sudden death rule because the game would be too long without it.

For those saying tds back and fourth would make the game endless, what happens if both teams kick fgs in overtime in the playoffs? How does the game stop?

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

How about whoever had the ball last in regulation. In theory they ended the regular game time in a more advantageous position. Or why not just let the game continue as it currently was going and next score after 60 minutes wins?

I actually think the current setup is pretty good, just throwing something out there. Giving both teams a chance to possess (even if TD) would be worse than the current rule. The probabilities are more even now and that change would favor the second team to posses more than either coin toss result does now.

I'm actually OK with an entire "5th Quarter" if you will. Put another 15 on the clock and keep going. 

11 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Okay let's get something straight, I'm not 100 % against the sudden death rule, however, I'm totally against it BECAUSE it's a coin toss

That's fair, I guess. But I don't see anything WRONG with a coin toss. A coin toss is literally 50/50 - it's gonna land heads or tails. You have to be prepared for both outcomes.

I totally agree that the KC defense lost that game, and they deserved to.

Cool, sorry if I'm coming off a bit abrasive on this one.

I just don't understand why we couldn't see the patriots defense too, and see if they could have make a stop.

We couldn't because New England's offense took control of OT by driving the ball down the field in a very convincing fashion, converted three huge 3rd downs and punched the ball in. 

It's a team game, and the Patriots O put the entire team on it's back. 

One stop. One stop. ONE STOP and it's a different discussion. If you can't get that stop, you deserve to lose.

But I understand the sudden death rule because the game would be too long without it.

Again - I'm perfectly OK with treating it as the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter; putting another 15 up, flipping the field and keep playing until you get to 00:00. If you're tied there, rinse and repeat.

I think it's pretty solid but if you made a change you probably want 1 of these 2:

Play out 10 min quarters.

College rules. Alternate possession at 30 yard line so it's basically like rounds in boxing where you can win or it goes another round. No PAT.

If you want excitement, college rule would be BOSS.

Why can't there just be an extra full quarter of football? Or just give both teams a minimum of 1 possession. The winner of the coin toss will still get an advantage, but it will be FAR less pronounced than the advantage they get now. Offenses lead to >95% of  points... You win games by scoring more points than the opposition. I find it very unfair if the other teams offense gets to see the field and yours does not.

I understand the reason for 10 minutes and TD wins in the regular season, they want it to end as quickly as possible, but the playoffs should be treated as the different animal they are.

I hate the Pats.

Its not the coin toss’s fault they won. I’m sorry but there’s 3 phases of a game the current OT rules test all of them. The Pats put together a 75 yard drive to win it. That’s not just blind luck, that’s the team that executes better when the chips are down. They Chiefs had ample opportunity to stop them and get Mahomes on. They failed to do so. 

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

The coin toss determined the game

No, Tom Brady determined the game. If you give up a touchdown on the first drive of OT, you don't deserve to win. The current system is just fine.

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah but what if it's tied after that 5th quarter?

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Again - I'm perfectly OK with treating it as the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter; putting another 15 up, flipping the field and keep playing until you get to 00:00. If you're tied there, rinse and repeat.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, your defenses lack of ability to get off the field on 3rd and long determined the game.

The rules are fine. Do you really want a college football style of OT that lasts damn near three hours? The original rule of first score sucked as it made it too easy for teams to go down and kick a FG. But really no excuses if your team allows a TD in that situation. 

Seriously lol, the point of view that the “coin toss determined the outcome” made sense only under the old rules when you could march 30 yards into field goal range and end the game.  Not like the Chiefs didn’t have plenty of opportunities to keep the Patriots out of the end zone.  Mahomes would have gotten his chance if his secondary wasn’t the absolute worst in the league

Archived