Trey Flowers: Has there been a better defender?

DoleINGout

In the Belichick era, has there been a player that has been as good as Flowers has been to this point in one season? There have been great years by Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Ty Law, and Mike Vrabel. Asante Samuel, Stephon Gilmore, Dont'a Hightower, Jerod Mayo, Darrelle Revis, and a handful of other players have contributed very good seasons as well throughout the years. How does Trey Flowers compare? I'm convinced this season has established Flowers as a legitimate elite edge defender in the National Football League.

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

How? I’m legitimate surprised anytime Gilmore gives up a catch at this point. 

Gotta agree with this. Flowers is exceptional, but Gilmore was the best CB in the league this year. Aside from busted. Coverage on Keenan Allen, and a couple of penalties, I don’t remember him giving up a play this post-season.

8 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Gotta agree with this. Flowers is exceptional, but Gilmore was the best CB in the league this year. Aside from busted. Coverage on Keenan Allen, and a couple of penalties, I don’t remember him giving up a play this post-season.

He gave up that one play to Watkins on the broken play. Other than that, no.

5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

How? I’m legitimate surprised anytime Gilmore gives up a catch at this point. 

Flowers is a rock against the run and considering his impact as a pass rusher, especially at opportune moments, I prefer the season he's had to the mostly outstanding coverage Gilmore has provided. Despite being consistent, Gilmore has given up several plays this season where I have thought he was off, (like in parts of the 2017 season). Maybe all it is is my preference but I think Flowers has legitimately put together one of the best seasons and post-seasons combined of any defender in the Belichick era.

Archived