Bob Sutton

Mizter_Clean10

Two part Question:

How do you guys honestly see this offseason shake out? I know what we all want but does it happen? Do we let him go or ask him to retire? Or do we retain him because Andy is to loyal?

If we move on from Bob who are legitimate candidates for his replacement? I don’t know defensive personnel throughout the legal like I do offensive. It seems to me Andy really likes to stay within his extended coaching tree, is there anyone who would take a lateral move or who are the position coaches out there who are the next in line guys?

Andy talked about a phase of self-reflection. And that's probably what it needs to be. Offense, while not perfect, clicked. ST were ok. Defense not so much. 

During the season you probably don't have the time to dig deep because you're focused on the next opponent. Now it's time to sit back and dig ... and dig  .. and dig ... and identify cause and effect.

What was the issue? Individual performance or system. If performance - how come? bad coachiong? Wrong players? Right players in wrong system? If system - is it the DC? Someone else? Did they handle the Berry situation properly, having him occupying a roster spot all season? How move on with him? Did they adress positions of need properly in off-season? What's wrong with Speaks and Kpassagnon? Does the ILB/OLB coaching separation work? Do we need more experienced coaches there?

Same can be said for the Offense. OL play was attrocious at times. Especially yesterday. Put Brees in there and NE has 8 -10 sacks. Easily. Heck? Players? System? Injuries?

They need to sort it out. I'd probably look at the system and adjustments first - and then wonder who's responsible. Why didn't he adjust? On defense they did adjust heavily yesterday. Who was responsible for that?  Sutton? Reid?

I'd definitely start looking at the system and the gameplans. Did they properly adress the opponent? Did they properly adjust during the game? That's Sutton.
Next individual performance: Which unit excels, which lacks development? That's position coaches.

The announcers yesterday said one thing that was so true: No matter where the Patriots draft (usually late in any round), they are able to teach and develop talent. That's what makes up a franchise like they are. They'Ve been able to plug holes on the roster all those years. And if there was a hole left (like elite outside WR right now) they coach and gameplan around it.

The big issue with coaches right now is that most good experienced NFL coaches have been snagged away. And the Chiefs lost two good ones recently in Pederson and Nagy. Now get innovative. This team has something to offer, it's no longer a middle-of-the-pack small market team. I think they can get out there into the college ranks and find some bright guys. Do it. Reid reinvented himself this year. Now do the same on defense. And may be along the OL.

1 hour ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Two part Question:

How do you guys honestly see this offseason shake out? I know what we all want but does it happen? Do we let him go or ask him to retire? Or do we retain him because Andy is to loyal?

If we move on from Bob who are legitimate candidates for his replacement? I don’t know defensive personnel throughout the legal like I do offensive. It seems to me Andy really likes to stay within his extended coaching tree, is there anyone who would take a lateral move or who are the position coaches out there who are the next in line guys?

Hooo ... nearly missed it: Welcome to the club!!!

I’m done with Sutton.  Do I think it happens?  80/20, that he stays.

Now I’m not saying it’s all on Sutton;  that first half players were in position,  players not making simple tackles killed us (mainly Hitchens)..

The 2nd half I am going to place the blame on Sutton,  how many times can you let Edelman and Hogan kill you on the same play,  again and again.   No change in coverage, just killing on us the same routes.  I guess you can say he made adjustments to stop the run, but IMO that was more about Hitchens making a few more tackles and hitting his gaps better.

24 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

See my post above. And then you need to find someone better ... most coaches signed new contracts this time of the year.

At this point, you need change for the sake of it. I also guarantee you could entice a lot of guys with how good this team's offense is and the real chance at multiple superbowls if you can be halfway decent.

Thing is, barring some spectacular breakthrough by guys like KPass or Speaks, we are bound to have the same personnel next year (and yes that includes Hitchens). So we can't rebuild from the ground with fresh players. Gotta go with a new coach then. I'm optimistic

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Sutton isn't good, but your linebackers are the reason your defense is so bad. Maybe it's part of his scheme, but I'm pretty sure no DC's scheme asks their ILB's to stand there and get their faces raped by OL before even moving their feet. 

You overestimate Sutton. Hitchens was a very good LB for Dallas just last year. Not great, but quite good. Came here and all of a sudden he's one of the worst ILBs in football. And then you have Ragland who made his name as a downhill thumper playing a safe read and react style. It has to be coaching, at that point.

3 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

OL play was attrocious at times. Especially yesterday. Put Brees in there and NE has 8 -10 sacks. Easily. Heck? Players? System? Injuries?

This is less on topic, but I can never decide what I feel about Heck. I believe very strongly that OL play is substantially due to coaching. NE has been great for years regardless of who is in there. We saw a coaching change elevate Seattle's OL and destroy Oakland's. But it feels like we're always just above average on OL. Never bad, but never great. It's the kind of thing I'd like to get someone better at, but I'd fear that probability says we'd get someone worse.

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Chiefs-defensive-changes-fire-Bob-Sutton-AFC-Championship-128129261/

Hey guys! I've used this site forever and figured I'd finally create an account, felt fitting as a chiefs fan my first post coming after a heart breaking lost. 

It looks like Sutton is going to be fire/retire, hopefully quickly so we can all move on from that discussion. 

3 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Two part Question:

I feel like we move on from him in some form. Whether that's "retirement" or termination. We already have articles and rumors from non-KC sportswriting sources about moving on from him. I feel like this time last year, there were a lot of articles on like KC Star and Chiefs specific sites about how we SHOULD fire Sutton, but there was never anything from major non-Chiefs sites about how we would. So I think there's already smoke, and fire will follow.

The replacement is difficult, and I honestly think it's part of why Andy would and has had a tough time moving on. A trouble of going deep into postseason is most obvious candidates are swept up. Bowles would've made sense, but he's gone. Reid definitely likes internal promotions, but I don't think anyone there is, or should be, a contender. He might leave a lot of the job search up to Hunt, since there's no obvious Reid-known candidate. But it's hard to say.

It would be nice if Harbaugh got fired in Baltimore and came on as an DC, but I can't imagine he would accept a job that wasn't HC.  If he did, that would turn this baby around instantly imo. He schemes so well on the defensive side of the ball and the disguises are 2nd to none.

Should have done some research. A quick google search shows that he has an agreement in place, just waiting on "lawyer stuff." Rats!

What about Vance Joseph?

Archived