Bob Sutton

Mizter_Clean10

I love it. I absolutely love this decision.

it will be interesting to see who gets the job. You would think our DC job would be a pretty interesting one, since we do have the players to field a good defense. Part it with a great offense and this job seems pretty attractive if you want to try win a SB within the next years. I'm not sure how i would feel with Ryan. On the one hand he could be a good addition to get some fire into this team, on the other hand it might be distracting and it could be a question if he an Reid would come along well together. Mike Smith might be an internal candidate, through i'd rather have some outside guy, to get some fresh blood into the defense. Bowles might be a candidate as well, but we'll see. Some names are mentioned atm.

1 minute ago, Edge said:

Actually he is. DC in Tampa Bay. I totally missed that hiring.

I know I already said it, but Vance Joseph would be a good hire. He's already very familiar with the division. At the end of the day though, I feel much better about the season now. Mahomes wins MVP, they win a playoff game at home and shed Bob Sutton. Things are looking up!

22 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

I know I already said it, but Vance Joseph would be a good hire. He's already very familiar with the division. At the end of the day though, I feel much better about the season now. Mahomes wins MVP, they win a playoff game at home and shed Bob Sutton. Things are looking up!

Joseph is going to the Cards if I remember correctly.

I hoped for Spagnulo tbh. Rex Ryan may still be a good DC, but it's the same defense than under Sutton.

I gotta believe Andy Reid knows a good pedigreed DC. He was so against letting Sutton go last season for this year. But now Sutton was messing up a good thing with Mahomes. That was the last straw I gotta feeling. And too, if we had replaced Sutton for this last season, I gotta believe we'd be playing the SB this coming Feb.

Such a relief that Reid took the nice guy hat off.  Probably should have made this move around midseason but ok.  Lots of coaches available if you want to play defense.  Even bad teams can play good defense.  No to Rex Ryan though.

I don't think the Chiefs need a monster draft or any "big play" guys on defense.  Defense and special teams are the true team sports in football and good coaching/playcalling can make a big difference.

Offensively I do think the Chiefs need to emphasize sustaining drives and learn how to neutralize a pass rush.  They should have called more screens against New England.  You don't hear the term much these days but a tall "possession receiver" surely wouldn't hurt.

I think the idea we don’t want Rex because Bob runs the same system is flawed.

The inverse of that would be saying Matt Patricia has to be good because he runs the same system BB runs for the Patriots.

Furthermore Rex took play calling away from Bob for a reason back when they were at the Jets.

2 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

I don't think the Chiefs need a monster draft

Chiefs have many needs. Offense needs C, OG, another TE (lose Harris), another RB (depth), another WR (we stalled without Sammy Watkins).

Defense needs DL(depth and run stopping), 2 starting ILB's. (ours stink at both run/pass support), 2 starting safeties (ss and fs; ours stink and EB is getting surgery again, sigh), and another CB.

That's a hefty list. That's 13 players to replace. I'd like to get a 2, 3 for our 1st. rd. pick. Trade it.

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Chiefs have many needs. Offense needs C, OG, another TE (lose Harris), another RB (depth), another WR (we stalled without Sammy Watkins).

Defense needs DL(depth and run stopping), 2 starting ILB's. (ours stink at both run/pass support), 2 starting safeties (ss and fs; ours stink and EB is getting surgery again, sigh), and another CB.

That's a hefty list. That's 13 players to replace. I'd like to get a 2, 3 for our 1st. rd. pick. Trade it.

I'm with you on trading our 1st for a 2nd and two thirds or two 2nds(Maybe the Colts want to get back in the first if they like someone and we trade for the Jets second they own and their second).

In terms of the hefty list, some of these needs would be taken care of in free agency. A few people I would look at in free agency are(in no particular order):

1. Landon Collins(S)- NYG

2. Earl Thomas(S)- SEA

3. Shelby Harris(DL)-DEN

4. Anthony Harris(S)- MIN

5. Jordan Hicks(LB)- PHI

6. David Irving(DL)- DAL

7. Tevin Coleman(RB)- ATL

8. Shane Ray(LB)- DEN

9. Deone Bucannon(LB/S)- ARI

10. Bashaud Breeland(CB)-GB

11. Jason Verret(CB)- LA

1 hour ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

I think the idea we don’t want Rex because Bob runs the same system is flawed.

The inverse of that would be saying Matt Patricia has to be good because he runs the same system BB runs for the Patriots.

Furthermore Rex took play calling away from Bob for a reason back when they were at the Jets.

I wouldn’t be upset with Rex,  we could do much worse for sure.  I just want fresh blood.

My main concern with Rex is that he needs 6-8 quality DB’s on game day, his scheme relies on guys being able to be interchangeable.  If he doesn’t have that, he becomes as passive as Sutton in his play calling and tends to start dropping his pass rushers into coverage.  

Chris Hewitt is still my favorite choice, might be too soon for him but he is certainly deserving.  

Archived