Arthur Smith promoted to OC

deeluxx3

The most interesting thing to me is if we'll stick with the zone blocking. I'd imagine that we will use it, all teams do to an extent, but I don't think it is going to be the focus that it was supposed to be last year. I think we will see more man concepts. 

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

The most interesting thing to me is if we'll stick with the zone blocking. I'd imagine that we will use it, all teams do to an extent, but I don't think it is going to be the focus that it was supposed to be last year. I think we will see more man concepts. 

I typically takes time for a OL to jell in a zone scheme. My opinion it’s better if we do, we really should get a full back shanahan & kubiak always ran their offense wit a lead back

44 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I typically takes time for a OL to jell in a zone scheme. My opinion it’s better if we do, we really should get a full back shanahan & kubiak always ran their offense wit a lead back

I’d be down for a FB. I thought Fowler would be able to help when we signed him for like a week lol. He was praised for having good hands, he was really good blocker for us a couple years back, and he has familiarity with Henry from college. I’d like to give him another look. Also, it’s not like the position is completely extinct either...Devlin provides a few key plays for New England it seems each game. Like any other position, we would just have to use him correctly and Fowler would be beneficial. 

Random Thought:

Another reason to like this hire is that it shows Vrabel isn't just going to hire his buddies. You look at Adam Gase with the Jets. He was fired for many reasons. But rather than try to switch up what he did to get fired, he brings in pretty much the same guys he was fired with from Miami. 
Shawn Jefferson at WR coach. Dowell Loggins as OC.

That is my problem with coaches fired from previous stops, they end up doing the same thing that got them fired from the first place. Running the same system. The same coaches. Like didn't you see it didn't work?

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this is some incredibly damning data re: our offensive predictability and run percentage. if there's anything at all arthur smith changes about our offense, please god let it be this. unreal.

Every. Single. Set. Of. Downs.

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this is some incredibly damning data re: our offensive predictability and run percentage. if there's anything at all arthur smith changes about our offense, please god let it be this. unreal.

We ran the ball on first down 75% of the time. That is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

We ran the ball on first down 75% of the time. That is ridiculous.

Not necessarily. On series where we had at least 3 plays before a change of downs, we started with a run on first down about 68% of the time. That's not counting series where we got a first down in one or two plays thanks to a bigger play or a penalty.

We didn't have a lot of 10+ yard plays, especially through the air, so this probably isn't leaving out a ton of first downs. 

I think I saw the actual statistic close to the end of the season and we ran the ball on first down ~58% of the time. Still higher than I would prefer, especially considering we struggled to run a big part of the season.

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

LaFleur being as run, run, pass as he was, is something that I certainly didn't expect when we hired him last year.

I know we had our injuries but that amount is ridiculous. Especially since our run game was so poor until late in the season.

If the numbers are correct, the Rams were the highest RRR team in the league... And seem to be top 4 alongside the Seahawks, Bills, and us in combined RRP/RRR... So maybe it shouldn't be too surprising. 

Of course, this only breaks down a series that goes 3 downs... And omits series where the 1st was gained before a team reached a 3rd... We can extrapolate and assume it extends out evenly... But we really don't know how. 

2 hours ago, lamont said:

Anyone know Downing’s offensive philosophy?

Was the QB coach for Carr during his best stretch so far. 

But like we talked about earlier. How much does that have to do with him or Carr?  Either way he is a nice addition. Some play calling experience. QB coach experience too. And from the Gruden/Shanahan/McVay school of offense. Should help strength the direction we going. 

Archived