Arthur Smith promoted to OC

deeluxx3

Guys in midday 180 had the same thought I’ve had for a long time. I’m not a big Mariota fan. I think most everyone knows that. However, I really don’t see a difference in Mariota and Goff. Goff has a bigger arm but Mariota works better outside pocket. Both to me are not typical QBs that can stop back to sling it when we they want. Both need a heavy dose of the run game with PA off of that. Goff also has the advantage of staying healthy as well. Put Mariota with McVay with those same guys around him and I see the Rams still in the SB. I’ve never been a big fan of Goff either even before he was drafted. 

58 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Guys in midday 180 had the same thought I’ve had for a long time. I’m not a big Mariota fan. I think most everyone knows that. However, I really don’t see a difference in Mariota and Goff. Goff has a bigger arm but Mariota works better outside pocket. Both to me are not typical QBs that can stop back to sling it when we they want. Both need a heavy dose of the run game with PA off of that. Goff also has the advantage of staying healthy as well. Put Mariota with McVay with those same guys around him and I see the Rams still in the SB. I’ve never been a big fan of Goff either even before he was drafted. 

The difference for me is that the Rams are willing to pass the ball. Last year they were 21st in the league in pass attempts per game, this year 14th. So the willingness to do it more often is there.

Here's our rankings

2018: 31st

2017: 28th

2016: 28th

We don't let Mariota throw the ball. I've been saying it for years...we gotta get the guy some easy, high-percentage throws early in games. Too often this year his first pass attempt was on 3rd and long.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 11:59 AM, deeluxx3 said:

The difference for me is that the Rams are willing to pass the ball. Last year they were 21st in the league in pass attempts per game, this year 14th. So the willingness to do it more often is there.

Here's our rankings

2018: 31st

2017: 28th

2016: 28th

We don't let Mariota throw the ball. I've been saying it for years...we gotta get the guy some easy, high-percentage throws early in games. Too often this year his first pass attempt was on 3rd and long.

This begs the obvious question, why are they not letting him pass it? Is it the coaches being stubborn or is Mariota just simply not very good at it? 

5 hours ago, ShupacTakur said:

This begs the obvious question, why are they not letting him pass it? Is it the coaches being stubborn or is Mariota just simply not very good at it? 

Marcus isn't Peyton Manning but he's def a guy that can make a lot of throws.

5 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Trent Dilfer said (if his opinion matters) that he has been forced into offenses, in summary. Saying they have been trying to make him a "whole field" reader. When he excels in half field. Said there are less than a handful of QBs in the league who truly are full field read QBs. (I'm guessing Brady, Brees, Rodgers).  Not saying he can't make full field reads, but it isn't his strength. He said there is no shame in being half field read QB.  Said McNabb was a half-field read QB. 

Said it is going to take the right OC to realize what he is good at and ask him to do that. Rather than try to make him be something that doesn't come natural. Said the best way to coach a QB is to allow them to do what they are good at. Simple but real. 

Do what he is good at more often and less of what he struggles with....and then hope in time he evolves and is able to add to his arsenal. 

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Trent Dilfer said (if his opinion matters) that he has been forced into offenses, in summary. Saying they have been trying to make him a "whole field" reader. When he excels in half field. Said there are less than a handful of QBs in the league who truly are full field read QBs. (I'm guessing Brady, Brees, Rodgers).  Not saying he can't make full field reads, but it isn't his strength. He said there is no shame in being half field read QB.  Said McNabb was a half-field read QB. 

Said it is going to take the right OC to realize what he is good at and ask him to do that. Rather than try to make him be something that doesn't come natural. Said the best way to coach a QB is to allow them to do what they are good at. Simple but real. 

Do what he is good at more often and less of what he struggles with....and then hope in time he evolves and is able to add to his arsenal. 

Unfortunately we’ve surrounded him with offensive coaches unwilling to do something so obvious — playing to his strengths. No other team in the nfl would be so stupid.

I’ve been saying this for years to be honest I think Marcus would’ve thrives under Whiz he got the ball out quick & we saw flashes out of Mariota, our running game & OL play was a mess & he was taking a beating but the kid was making progress as a passer 

37 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I’ve been saying this for years to be honest I think Marcus would’ve thrives under Whiz he got the ball out quick & we saw flashes out of Mariota, our running game & OL play was a mess & he was taking a beating but the kid was making progress as a passer 

I firmly believe that Whisenhunt probably knew how to use Mariota better than any coach he's had since. He was just unfortunately a terrible head coach. 

17 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm not disagreeing, I just think it could be a legit question at this point. I do agree that his strengths would be maximized in a base 3-wide offense that emphasizes the short and intermediate passing game. He's always been a rhythm passer going back to his days at Oregon.  

53 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

I firmly believe that Whisenhunt probably knew how to use Mariota better than any coach he's had since. He was just unfortunately a terrible head coach. 

Hopefully Smith took notice to that and will implement some of that. 

3 hours ago, ShupacTakur said:

Right, because Marcus rookie year though he took a beating he wasn’t looking like this project QB that couldn’t play under center QB he was painted out to be. Whis did things Marcus was comfortable with short field easy throws up tempo 

I've always believed getting Marcus in rhythm early in a game with short to intermediate passes on 1st and 2nd down is just as important as establishing the run game. If we're ever going to have an explosive offense getting Marcus in rhythm early is going to have to become a priority. No way around that.

Archived