Sean Payton

stl4life07

Sean Payton I think is getting a pass today. 

When I think of that I think of LeBron James in the Finals last season. Game 1 he was having an historic game and the Cavs was beating the Warriors in Golden State. They had a chance to steal a road game against the juggernaut Warriors team. Thats until JR Smith had that blunder. What did LeBron James do? He got upset, pouted, and instead of refocusing understanding that the game still went into OT and the Cavs still had a chance to win the game, LeBron James did nothing and the Warriors dominated OT and the Warriors swept the Cavs the rest of the series. LeBron got a pass because everyone looked at JR Smith and pointed the finger. We all knew JR was capable of doing bonehead stuff like that. LeBron James if he is the GOAT and leader of men shouldve rallied his team in OT to overcome that adversity and beat the Warriors.

Sean Payton to me feels like exactly what LeBron James did. I felt like after that bad call happen when the Saints had the momentum at that point, Payton didnt get the call, he pouted, and didnt focus on the fact that the Saints still had a chance to win the game. They still had a chance to stop the Rams on defense on the last possession. They still got the ball first in OT and did nothing. Payton didnt make any adjustments when clearly the Rams took away Thomas. He had I believe 3 catches in the 1st quarter and only 1 catch the rest of the game. Payton didnt make any adjustments after the Rams made adjustments on Kamara in the passing game. How about the Saints running game being held to 50yds rushing? Payton didnt make any adjustments to get better production from the running game. There was also a possession in the redzone where Payton was trying so hard to give Taysom Hill the 3rd string QB some shine. It was to the point where Kamara fumbled the ball because he wasnt used to getting handoffs from Hill like he was with Brees. Im sitting back saying, this is the NFCCG your 3rd string QB and gadget guy shouldnt be trying to get shine. The Saints have been struggling in the redzone all game long. They need Brees to be touching the ball every snap especially in the redzone and not Hill.

So Payton is getting a pass today because of the sympathy him and the Saints are getting from one call that went against them. Not to mention had Payton ran the ball three straight times on that drive, nobody would be talking about a no call made by the refs. Which is another bad decision Payton made trying to be too aggressive or too cute. You run the ball three times, let the Rams burn their two timeouts either you get the first down, score a touchdown, or at worst still settle for the field goal, go up 23-20 with about 50 seconds or less on the clock and the Rams have to drive down the field with no timeouts left in that loud stadium just to tie. So people can fully blame the officials for that one call but dont exempt Sean Payton. He is the blame for the Saints losing I believe more than the officiating. The officials were missing calls left and right all game long for both teams. That same officiating crew officiated the Week 9 game and missed calls but the Saints won and no Saints fan talked about it. The media only mentioned the questionable 4th and 1 call but thats it. So we knew heading into this game about the officiating crew. They also have a history of not throwing many flags. Whether they are just letting the players play or just simply bad at calling fouls. Either way you do what you can control and Payton did a horrible job at coaching on Sunday. People gave him a pass last year against Minnesota. Saints was down 17-0 early. Late in the game the usage of timeouts was horrible on his part to even give the Vikings a shot at the end. So Im not giving Payton a pass like everyone else is doing today. 

This isnt going to go well.  Even if JR made the correct play there is no guarantee that the Cavs wouldve won that game.

That point for the Saints Rams game is about as guaranteed of a win you can have in the NFL when the game is that close.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

This isnt going to go well.  Even if JR made the correct play there is no guarantee that the Cavs wouldve won that game.

That point for the Saints Rams game is about as guaranteed of a win you can have in the NFL when the game is that close.

You are right the Cavs wasnt guarantee to win that game. LeBron who many people say is the GOAT or at least in the discussion didnt do any favors about how he reacted after what JR did. He pouted when he went to the bench and in OT I dont think he took a shot until the OT was almost over in which the Warriors had the game wrapped up. Then after the game LeBron and the media deflected everything on JR instead of just saying, wait a minute, LeBron you shouldve rallied the your team, get them refocused and overcame that adversity.

I feel the same way about Payton. He wasnt the best coach on the field Sunday before or after that one call. So instead of pointing the finger at himself, he deflects it all on the refs. If the refs gave the Rams all the calls the entire game including that call then ok I see your point. The refs were screwing the Rams too. They screwed the Rams on the previous drive with a missed face mask call on Goff. It wouldve been 1st and Goal on the 1yd line had the refs got the call right. You dont think the Rams come away with 7pts and go up 24-20 instead of just settling for a field goal to tie the game up 20-20? In the Week 9 matchup that same officiating crew missed a face mask call on Kupp with the Rams having the ball in the 4th quarter down 38-35. That was huge because they missed that call, the Rams punted the ball away, the Saints go down and get that 72yd td by Thomas to go up 45-35 and essentially ice the game and get the upper hand for HFA in which they had in the NFCCG. 

We can go back and forth about calls but nobody can control them but the officials. Payton shouldve done a better job in general to where the game shouldve never came down to a bad call. The Saints and Rams were aware all game long bad call after bad call so if you are aware of it then dont allow a bad call to hurt you. But thats just my opinion. Saints fans follow their leader in Payton and if he is deflecting everything on the officials then the majority of Saints fans will too. Ive seen a few media people looking strictly at Payton and not putting the loss all on the officials. Nobody is disputing the call wasnt bad. It was atrocious but Payton poor coaching decisions made it where that no call happened. Run the ball 3x times and that no call never exists. 

27 minutes ago, Raves said:

Because every time the Saints got into the red zone yesterday they scored a touchdown right? Didn't think so. The lack of call sucks but there were many that did and changing all of them doesn't mean the outcome of the game is changed. 

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

You are right the Cavs wasnt guarantee to win that game. LeBron who many people say is the GOAT or at least in the discussion didnt do any favors about how he reacted after what JR did. He pouted when he went to the bench and in OT I dont think he took a shot until the OT was almost over in which the Warriors had the game wrapped up. Then after the game LeBron and the media deflected everything on JR instead of just saying, wait a minute, LeBron you shouldve rallied the your team, get them refocused and overcame that adversity.

I feel the same way about Payton. He wasnt the best coach on the field Sunday before or after that one call. So instead of pointing the finger at himself, he deflects it all on the refs. If the refs gave the Rams all the calls the entire game including that call then ok I see your point. The refs were screwing the Rams too. They screwed the Rams on the previous drive with a missed face mask call on Goff. It wouldve been 1st and Goal on the 1yd line had the refs got the call right. You dont think the Rams come away with 7pts and go up 24-20 instead of just settling for a field goal to tie the game up 20-20? In the Week 9 matchup that same officiating crew missed a face mask call on Kupp with the Rams having the ball in the 4th quarter down 38-35. That was huge because they missed that call, the Rams punted the ball away, the Saints go down and get that 72yd td by Thomas to go up 45-35 and essentially ice the game and get the upper hand for HFA in which they had in the NFCCG. 

We can go back and forth about calls but nobody can control them but the officials. Payton shouldve done a better job in general to where the game shouldve never came down to a bad call. The Saints and Rams were aware all game long bad call after bad call so if you are aware of it then dont allow a bad call to hurt you. But thats just my opinion. Saints fans follow their leader in Payton and if he is deflecting everything on the officials then the majority of Saints fans will too. Ive seen a few media people looking strictly at Payton and not putting the loss all on the officials. Nobody is disputing the call wasnt bad. It was atrocious but Payton poor coaching decisions made it where that no call happened. Run the ball 3x times and that no call never exists. 

No one is saying the Saints still didn't have a chance to win after and blew it.  But there is a direct line you can draw from DPI being called to the Saints winning the game, with the only movement from the flow being a miracle play that went for a TD as there would've been no time to get a big gain and get set for a FG as there woudlv'e been under 10 seconds left.

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

Because every time the Saints got into the red zone yesterday they scored a touchdown right? Didn't think so. The lack of call sucks but there were many that did and changing all of them doesn't mean the outcome of the game is changed. 

No it's because their kicker is 100% on the year from under 40 yards and they would've ran the clock to under 10 seconds by kneeling 3 times before kicking the FG.

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Honestly you should just stop.  You're making the rest of the Rams fanbase look worse on your own.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

No it's because their kicker is 100% on the year from under 40 yards and they would've ran the clock to under 10 seconds by kneeling 3 times before kicking the FG.

And Cory Littleton would have jumped the snapper and blocked the kick.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

And Cory Littleton would have jumped the snapper and blocked the kick.

How often has he done that this year when given the chance?  If it's higher than .01% I'll give it to you, but I know for a fact that is about as likely as saying that on the 1 yard line after the Goff facemask is called they are going to fumble the ball and the Saints will run it back for a TD.

Sorry for your loss Saints fans

Gary Anderson was one of the more accurate and prolific kickers of his era and he didn't miss a single FG all season long. 100 % accurate
But he whiffed an "easy" 39 yarder in his home dome and cost the 15-1 vikes a chance to move on to the SB. We also saw Blair Walsh whiff a 27 yarder with a playoff  game on the line. Crazy stuff happens all the time, that's why we watch. So no, you cannot draw a direct line to a victory.

Remember that crazy end-of-the -game 3 lateral play by the Saints in their miraculous comeback vs the Jags ? And then John Carney whiffed the XP ?
That actually happened and that was long before they moved the XP back. It was a 21 yard kick back in the day

Your chances would have greatly improved with a proper PI call, but nothing is certain after that.
The NFL is a wicked mistress and if you're a fan long enough, you're gonna get kicked in the nuts

( Jerry Rice fumbled )

This is how I view it.  Sean Payton has huge balls.  Sometimes he takes a risk and it pays off, other times it fails.  It just is what it is.

As far as him not making adjustments - I've been on record a bunch of times saying the Saints lack quality offensive personnel.  As far as the game yesterday goes, tell me a receiver on that team that is very talented outside of Thomas and Kamara?  As you go on in the postseason, teams are better and better.  The Rams said - we're taking away Thomas.  They took away Kamara.  What else are they supposed to do?  Throw to Ted Ginn or one of those other crappy receivers?

35 minutes ago, Raves said:

How often has he done that this year when given the chance?  If it's higher than .01% I'll give it to you, but I know for a fact that is about as likely as saying that on the 1 yard line after the Goff facemask is called they are going to fumble the ball and the Saints will run it back for a TD.

That's the point. The game played out the way it did. We can talk about do-overs, but it's pointless to only discuss one missed call in a game full of them. I understand your frustration. I don't begrudge you for it. But if we're setting things right, the Saints might still lose.

Not sure this was the right time to address this. Let the Saints fans be. While I do think Payton blew a few things yesterday and it wasn't 100% on the refs, I know if the roles were reversed, the last thing I'd want is post after post of rubbing it in. Let's focus on our Rams and get ready for the biggest game of our lives. 

Archived