TEN promotes TE Coach Arthur Smith to OC

Broncofan

23 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

At least this gives Mariota some stability, yeah?

i don't even know if it does that. arthur smith has spent a grand total of one year in a shanahan-style offense. dude was learning on the job as much as any of the players. by all accounts he's a bright young coach and our TE room seems to overperform every year, so it's nice that he's getting his shot, but he's a total unknown as an OC and the fact that we didn't even bother to conduct a proper search is as infuriating as it is unsurprising with this organization.

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

God what an uninspiring decision. Maybe he pans out and is a good playcaller, but it was frustrating last season dealing with a first year playcaller already.

We're trying to promote Kellen Moore and give the play calling duties back to Jason Garrett. So perk the eff up buttercup!

6 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i don't even know if it does that. arthur smith has spent a grand total of one year in a shanahan-style offense. dude was learning on the job as much as any of the players. by all accounts he's a bright young coach and our TE room seems to overperform every year, so it's nice that he's getting his shot, but he's a total unknown as an OC and the fact that we didn't even bother to conduct a proper search is as infuriating as it is unsurprising with this organization.

I guess all you can do is -hope- for the best

Players (past and present) seem to love the hire. Since he's been with us he's worked under 4 different head coaches. Pretty impressive he remained on staff all 4 times when each new coach could have brought in their own guy. With that being the case, he knows Mariota better with anyone and has seen up close and personal what's worked and what hasn't so maybe he can get the most out of him.

Also LaFleur wanted to bring him with him to Green Bay and had high praise for him.

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Players (past and present) seem to love the hire. Since he's been with us he's worked under 4 different head coaches. Pretty impressive he remained on staff all 4 times when each new coach could have brought in their own guy. With that being the case, he knows Mariota better with anyone and has seen up close and personal what's worked and what hasn't so maybe he can get the most out of him.

Also LaFleur wanted to bring him with him to Green Bay and had high praise for him.

I have no doubt he's a great positional coach...

But he's never called plays on any level, right? That's kinda a big deal.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I have no doubt he's a great positional coach...

But he's never called plays on any level, right? That's kinda a big deal.

Correct. That’s the only downside to the hire and it’s a pretty big one. He’s as good of a hire as we could have hoped for outside of that though.

17 hours ago, -Hope- said:

But you gotta have one thing...

This is encouraging. His success will probably come down to how good of a playcaller he is as it seems he’s the most prepared guy in the room. It’ll be hard to be much worse of one than LaFleur was but any rookie will take their lumps.

2 hours ago, ianlewis16 said:

Which would be the greatest decision in the history of sports. Step down bruh

Well the Jerry media trolls are saying we cant judge the decision because we know nothing about the guy. 

Me: " Well that's cause for concern a-hole!"

We've heard for awhile now that hes some sort of genius. But he has not called one play a day in his life as far as we know. 

Archived