If the Rams defense stops Tom Brady and they win Wade Phillip's should go to the HOF.

Kiwibrown

He certainly has as good as any DC's resume already, but I'm not sure coordinators have a place in Canton. It's clear that in the NFL, coordinating is a direct step below head coaching, and I say direct, because it's not in the same way that a left guard is a step below QBing in terms of value/impact, as those are 2 very distinct jobs. A left guard can not become a QB if he is good enough at LG. Whereas generally, the good coordinators become HCs, the ones that fail at that become coordinators again. For them to induct a coordinator would be like inducting a backup QB, almost. I'm just guessing that as their view based on how they hire, and the lack of anyone in the HOF off the back of their time as DC/OC (LeBeau is in off his HOF playing days, I have no doubt him being a legendary DC strongly helped his case, but he's not a valid example here). Personally I think if you've got a coordinator resume the size of Wade's, you deserve to be immortalized in Canton.

Defensive DVOA during Wade's DC stints, for his 1st years I show the change in rank compared to the season before he arrived. Color changes indicate new team.

• 1986: 5th (N/A, DVOA only goes back to 86, but the Eagles were 10th in points allowed)
  • 1987: 5th
  • 1988: 2nd
  • 1989: 4th (+23)
  • 1990: 19th
  • 1991: 4th
  • 1992: 15th
  • 1995: 10th (+9)
  • 1996: 7th
  • 1997: 5th
  • 2002: 12th (+14)
  • 2003: 27th
  • 2004: 13th (+17)
  • 2005: 15th
  • 2006: 15th
  • 2011: 6th (+25)
  • 2012: 4th
  • 2013: 18th
  • 2015: 1st (+3)
  • 2016: 1st
  • 2017: 6th (+11) 
  • 2018: 19th

22 seasons over 8 separate stints, an average defensive DVOA ranking of 10. In every single stint he immediately improved the defense, and pretty drastically each time too.

He also had a 5 year stint in NO that predates DVOA, between 81 and 85. 24th in PPG year 1 (they were the worst defense in the league before he arrived, 8th in year 2, then 12th, then 19th and lastly 22nd.

wade phillips had one of the greatest talented defenses of all time with the broncos. I mean, maybe he had a big part in that, but I think any coordinator could have performed similarly given the circumstances. IIRC, wade was shredded by Brady when he was with the cowboys.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Wade Phillip's stopped Brady as the Broncos d coordinator and, if he does it again he will deserve the hof, even though they dont elect coordinators.

Cooridantors like Phillip's and McDaniels should be eligible for the HOF due to their significant impact on the game. 

Worth noting.  Did Wade's Broncos "stop" Brady or did they slow him down enough for the Broncos to get the W?

2015, I suppose you can make an argument for a stop considering the timing of the two interceptions of Brady - particularly the one on the two-point conversion that would have tied the game.  

2016 is a bit more debatable.  Yes, they held the Pats under 20 in Mile High, but one the Pats singular TD drive, Brady moved the ball pretty effectively, per norm, in the intermediate passing game en route to the Blount punch-in.  Game-script had a decent amount to do with that game because the Broncos offense couldn't muster a damn thing (only 4 drives that didn't result in a 3-and-out, including the opening drive of the game and one of the last ones which ended up resulting in a fumble).

We aren't going to "stop" Brady, but we've got a shot at slowing him down enough for the offense to get the job done on their end a la that 2015 AFCCG.

Just now, The LBC said:

Worth noting.  Did Wade's Broncos "stop" Brady or did they slow him down enough for the Broncos to get the W?

2015, I suppose you can make an argument for a stop considering the timing of the two interceptions of Brady - particularly the one on the two-point conversion that would have tied the game.  

2016 is a bit more debatable.  Yes, they held the Pats under 20 in Mile High, but one the Pats singular TD drive, Brady moved the ball pretty effectively, per norm, in the intermediate passing game en route to the Blount punch-in.  Game-script had a decent amount to do with that game because the Broncos offense couldn't muster a damn thing (only 4 drives that didn't result in a 3-and-out, including the opening drive of the game and one of the last ones which ended up resulting in a fumble).

We aren't going to "stop" Brady, but we've got a shot at slowing him down enough for the offense to get the job done on their end a la that 2015 AFCCG.

Stoppng Brady in the superbowl is keeping him under 28 if your offense is playing well. 

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Stoppng Brady in the superbowl is keeping him under 28 if your offense is playing well. 

Well, I'll put it this way.  If we don't hold him below 28, barring some sort of redux of our game against the Chiefs this season (which I can't see happening against the Pats in the Super Bowl), our offense isn't going to carry us past that except maybe with regard to game-script (gonna be tricky, we legitimately need to utilize the same game-script against them they just used against the Chiefs lol).  The real trick for our defense is going to be limiting the points garnered off of our turnover(s); Goff's going to be good for one.

LOL, McDaniels.

McDaniels could fall off the face of the earth and you would never know the difference (and we've seen this from years he wasn't there). It's Belichick's offensive scheme and Brady's decision-making. A monkey could call the plays and you would never know the difference.

As for Phillips: He's historically great with pass rush, but his coverages are basic. He doesn't game plan for opponents, either. He just runs his system based on ways to get favorable matchups in the front 7 to put heat on the QB and ignores everything else. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. His defenses over the course of his career have been hit or miss. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:54 PM, Asciimo said:

wade phillips had one of the greatest talented defenses of all time with the broncos. I mean, maybe he had a big part in that, but I think any coordinator could have performed similarly given the circumstances. IIRC, wade was shredded by Brady when he was with the cowboys.

We had virtually the exact same defense in 2014 and went one and done with Del Rio. He absolutely deserves credit for that defense.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I think Wade Phillips should go to the HOF anyways. He's one of the best DC's of all time and has longevity in this league.

This is what I came in here to say... you don’t need a qualifier for the thread title 

Archived