Is Gurley still hurt?

bomont

I think McVay just trusted CJ more that game. Gurley wasn’t really doing them any favors.

via NFL.com

Todd Gurley missed the end of the regular season due to a knee injury, so when the dynamic running back was relegated to the sideline for much of Sunday's NFC Championship tilt, most assumed it was injury related. 

Not so, says Gurley. 

The running back told NFL Network's Steve Wyche after the Rams' 26-23 overtime win against the New Orleans Saints that his lack of playing time was performance-related. 

"I was sorry. I was sorry as hell today," Gurley said. "I was sorry. So, C.J. (Anderson) did his thing. The whole team did its thing. Everybody kept me up during the game. That's why it's a team sport. This is the greatest team sport in America. It takes everybody, everybody on the team and that's what we did."

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling Gurley doesn't do well in high pressure moments. I feel like last year on the falcons game he cracked. This year in the chiefs game, same thing. And now in this game. I could be wrong, but maybe he suffers from axciety? 

Either that or he's hurt. One or the other, you just don't sit a dude with that kind of production because "the flow wasn't there".

I don't buy it, I think he's still hurt. No way CJ Anderson is actually a better option to trot out there. Yes, he has been phenomenal in his brief Rams stint, especially running tough inside the tackles, but Gurley's versatility and explosiveness is just so much more valuable. Don't see him getting relegated to the bench by choice, no way. I think he's banged up but can play and wants to play, they keep trying him, but in his current state he's less helpful than CJ.

I expect us to learn about his [insert injury] following the SB. 

It's not like Anderson did much either. The Saints had a great run defense this year. I was not surprised they were able to severely limit the effectiveness of the Rams running game. Sometimes it's not that there's anything "wrong" you just have to give credit to the other side for doing a good job.

13 minutes ago, Riftty said:

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling Gurley doesn't do well in high pressure moments. I feel like last year on the falcons game he cracked. This year in the chiefs game, same thing. And now in this game. I could be wrong, but maybe he suffers from axciety? 

Either that or he's hurt. One or the other, you just don't sit a dude with that kind of production because "the flow wasn't there".

What? He played well against the Falcons and was great last week against Dallas.

12 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

It's not like Anderson did much either. The Saints had a great run defense this year. I was not surprised they were able to severely limit the effectiveness of the Rams running game. Sometimes it's not that there's anything "wrong" you just have to give credit to the other side for doing a good job.

It's not about Anderson doing much.  Gurley was a net negative.  Not only did he play poorly, but he had two big drops... one of them the Saints intercepted. 

25 minutes ago, kramxel said:

What was he feeling sorry for?

It's slang for really bad.  So when he says he was sorry, he is actually saying that he was awful.

I actually answered your question, so if it was sarcasm then just disregard lol

17 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don't buy it, I think he's still hurt. No way CJ Anderson is actually a better option to trot out there. Yes, he has been phenomenal in his brief Rams stint, especially running tough inside the tackles, but Gurley's versatility and explosiveness is just so much more valuable. Don't see him getting relegated to the bench by choice, no way. I think he's banged up but can play and wants to play, they keep trying him, but in his current state he's less helpful than CJ.

I expect us to learn about his [insert injury] following the SB. 

Did you watch the game yesterday?  Gurley was absolutely terrible.  It's really not about who the better player is - that's obvious Todd Gurley.  For some reason, Gurley's head was not in the game yesterday.  He's one of the best receiving options out of the backfield of any RB in the league and he dropped two easy passes, the Saints intercepted one of them.  He just was terrible and got benched.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

It's not about Anderson doing much.  Gurley was a net negative.  Not only did he play poorly, but he had two big drops... one of them the Saints intercepted. 

If I'm looking at Gurley in the context of the game he was playing in when he performed poorly, I have to look at the other team doing something to stop him. The fact they also held Anderson to 2.6 YPC suggests that they at least had something to do with Gurley's bad game.

Archived