Belichick's Quest for 347

x0x

How many seasons does Belichick have left?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• 2019 will be his last
    • 2 more
    • 3 more
    • 4 more
    • 5+ The Man. Is GREEDY.

So Don Shula's all-time wins as a head coach is thought to be untouchable given the circumstances of our time. Shula needed 33 seasons including 19 playoff victories to set the record over George Halas at 324 who made his mark in 40 seasons. Of course seasons were considerably shorter in Halas' day and Shula had slightly shorter seasons and playoffs. However with coaches being fired routinely after 2 bad years, you can see how this is an exceptional mark.

Belichick is 66 but he's 56 wins behind with the Super Bowl to play.

For me the question is Josh McDaniel's supposed successor status. He flipped the Colts last year and all signs pointed to some deal with the Pats to succeed Belichick, which with Kraft sounds like the best deal on the planet so I could understand that. Let's just say Pats win and he's 56 wins from breaking the record. That can be divided many ways but here's a template:

12-4 (1-1)

11-5 (2-1)

12-4 (0-1)

I mean, the Pats have to lose in the AFC playoffs sometimes right? Anywho the above gets Belichick through his age 69 season at 18 short. Now if we massage the above numbers we can hypothetically see him getting the record in 4 years time and retiring at 70. At 6 years we're looking at a guarantee and 5 years seems probable. If McDaniels is indeed focused on being the successor and is ok with waiting, then he doesn't matter as a potential loss. But of course, we have the Brady question. I think even Tom Terrific can't play another 6 years and 4 is probably pushing it (but plausible).

So for the poll I'm simply asking how many years for the Hoodie.

Part of me thinks he goes out with Brady. 

Another part thinks he rebuilds his dynasty, wins a SB and hands it off to someone else.

BB is probably my fave of all time. I’m gonna miss him. I love that Payton looks up to him so much and they seem to have a good relationship. I really think Payton’s tried to model himself after BB and Parcells and I’m really grateful for that.

Pats fans, any inside scoop?

3 hours ago, Dome said:

Part of me thinks he goes out with Brady. 

Another part thinks he rebuilds his dynasty, wins a SB and hands it off to someone else.

BB is probably my fave of all time. I’m gonna miss him. I love that Payton looks up to him so much and they seem to have a good relationship. I really think Payton’s tried to model himself after BB and Parcells and I’m really grateful for that.

Pats fans, any inside scoop?

these are all correct takes

24 minutes ago, William Lee said:

Brady made Belichick.

Terrible take when you look at the Pats' playoff performances.

Belichick won't retire with Brady - I think he's too competitive. I can see him coaching to 70 and trying to make another SB with Brady's successor (and probably making it).

He said in a documentary a while back that he wouldn't coach into his 70s. But I think that documentary is like 10 years old, so maybe his opinion has changed seeing as he's within striking distance of that record. I also believe Belichick would really like to get a chance at showing everyone that he can succeed in the playoffs without Brady, so he might try to wait him out.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Belichick is still coaching 5-10 years from now. If he coaches another five years, he'd have to get 11.2 wins per season, regular season and postseason, to get to that wins record. It might take him a couple years past that for the years when Brady retires and who knows who they have at QB, but I think he'll probably do it.

45 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I could see him going on forever.

I mean, I can too as well. Maybe this is the price he has to pay for selling his soul - he'd be incredibly successful, but he has to coach forever, never getting to retire (and never smiling too).

13 minutes ago, areksoo said:

Belichick is also the GM.   I can see a situation where he "retires" as the head coach, but still hangs on as a GM. 

This? Makes a ton of sense.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:
6 hours ago, areksoo said:

Belichick is also the GM.   I can see a situation where he "retires" as the head coach, but still hangs on as a GM. 

This? Makes a ton of sense.

I actually find this to be very unlikely. I don't think that after all this time Bill could give up the control

Archived