Belichick's Quest for 347

x0x

How many seasons does Belichick have left?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• 2019 will be his last
    • 2 more
    • 3 more
    • 4 more
    • 5+ The Man. Is GREEDY.

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I could see him going on forever.

Me too...but I Think that is because there is a part of me that isn't convinced he's not actually Rasputin. If someone told me about Rasputin, but didn't give me any idea of what he looked like, my visual image of him in my head would be that of BB, I'm pretty sure (Side note, this also applies for Emperor Palpatine, whom would also look a lot like BB in my head if nobody told me what he looked like or I Had never seen him before) 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/21/bill-belichick-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-los-angeles-rams-nfl-news-updates

According to this story, Bill Belichick wants to keep it going for “a long time.”

No coach has ever had a better handle on the game’s history than Belichick. That being said, he may not think of the all-time wins mark all the time, or even all that often. But you better believe it’s on his radar. I think he’ll make a run at it and try for it  I’d LOVE to see him get it. 

And I’d love Don Shula to live long enough to see him get it.

If he doesn't do it in four more years, I imagine he would strongly consider retirement by that age. Say 12-4 in 2019, 12-4 in 2020, 11-5 in 2021, and 10-6 in 2022. He'd beed 11 more playoff wins in between to tie the record. That would probably include at least two more Super Bowl titles, likely three. Then Josh McDaniels takes over fully refined from his years under Bill and the dynasty continues with Jalen Hurts leading the Patriots for another decade plus. 😁

I doubt he even cares about the Shula record  IMO. That would mean a minimum of 4-5 more years of coaching at the highest level with no decline from the Patriots or Brady. Not impossible  but unrealistic.

I do think both are tied at the hip to where the other might possibly force one to retire. I Don't  think either wants to start over , "NOW " that Garropolo is gone!

HC --> QB

QB --> HC

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I doubt he even cares about the Shula record IMO. That would mean a minimum of 4-5 more years of coaching at the highest level with no decline from the Patriots or Brady. Not impossible  but unrealistic.

Trust me. He cares. 

Every time he passes a HOF coach on the wins list, he always pays some sort of little tribute to the coach. He showed up to a Sunday night game in Pittsburgh wearing a fedora like Paul Brown used to wear when he was one win away from passing him. The Patriots won big, too. 

Belichick knows exactly where he is on the list. Guaranteed.

Not to mention, given Shula’s glee at the Patriots losing Super Bowl XLII, do you really think Belichick won’t try to knock that old man off his perch at the top of the list?  Coach Belichick has a memory better than an elephant’s. 

7 minutes ago, rfournier103 said:

Not to mention, given Shula’s glee at the Patriots losing Super Bowl XLII, do you really think Belichick won’t try to knock that old man off his perch at the top of the list?  Coach Belichick has a memory better than an elephant’s. 

It's hard to beat perfection, so you can understand Shula's glee. I mean he's perfect, and everyone else is not. 

So as a long-time NFL fan I watched Parcells turn around the truly awful Giants and make then a playoff team. You have to understand how bad the Giants were back then, they were like the laughingstock of the NFL. Parcells and his wunderkind Belichick changed all that. Well sure, Lawrence Taylor helped but you know what I mean. 

There's no way to debate it, the best coach ever is BB. That's just facts and stuff. Two SB's with the Giants and one SB with the Patriots as an assistant coach. Followed by 622 SB's with the Patriots as head coach. Constant roster and coaching changes yet the end result is the same: winning. 

He doesn't seem like the type to hang on much longer IMHO. He's rather wealthy, highly respected, and the world is his oyster. Plenty of other fun stuff to do in his golden years instead of waking up at 3 a.m. to go to the office. 

5 minutes ago, FinSting said:

It's hard to beat perfection, so you can understand Shula's glee. I mean he's perfect, and everyone else is not. 

So as a long-time NFL fan I watched Parcells turn around the truly awful Giants and make then a playoff team. You have to understand how bad the Giants were back then, they were like the laughingstock of the NFL. Parcells and his wunderkind Belichick changed all that. Well sure, Lawrence Taylor helped but you know what I mean. 

There's no way to debate it, the best coach ever is BB. That's just facts and stuff. Two SB's with the Giants and one SB with the Patriots as an assistant coach. Followed by 622 SB's with the Patriots as head coach. Constant roster and coaching changes yet the end result is the same: winning. 

He doesn't seem like the type to hang on much longer IMHO. He's rather wealthy, highly respected, and the world is his oyster. Plenty of other fun stuff to do in his golden years instead of waking up at 3 a.m. to go to the office. 

Waking up at 3am to study football is his fun stuff

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

Trust me. He cares. 

Every time he passes a HOF coach on the wins list, he always pays some sort of little tribute to the coach. He showed up to a Sunday night game in Pittsburgh wearing a fedora like Paul Brown used to wear when he was one win away from passing him. The Patriots won big, too. 

Belichick knows exactly where he is on the list. Guaranteed.

Cares to the point of coaching 5 more years? No I don't. I'm not saying he doesn't want to or wouldn't  love to, but I don't think he ultimately cares until it's closer to being within reach. That's all. 

Now if he decides to coach through the 2020 or even through 2021 season, yes you bet your a$$ He's going after it. I just dont think hes going to because that would mean Brady 3 more years? BB has nothing else to prove. Shula is but a footnote to Belicheck at this point when comparing the two.

Its Belicheck

then everyone else.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Cares to the point of coaching 5 more years? No I don't. I'm not saying he doesn't want to or wouldn't  love to, but I don't think he ultimately cares until it's closer to being within reach. That's all. 

Now if he decides to coach through the 2020 or even through 2021 season, yes you bet your a$$ He's going after it. I just dont think hes going to because that would mean Brady 3 more years? BB has nothing else to prove. Shula is but a footnote to Belicheck at this point when comparing the two.

Its Belicheck

then everyone else.

That man eats, sleeps, and breathes football. Both of his sons are on the Patriots staff, and beside spending a week or two during the offseason on Martha’s Vineyard, he doesn’t seem to have many interests outside of football. 

I could be wrong, but Belichick is a total football lifer. I don’t see him walking away for a few more seasons...

• 3 weeks later...

1972-miami-dolphins-coach-don-shula_1_be

And his restaurant is named 347 Grill.

What we know is Belichick will coach next season. So it really depends how close he gets. Even a titan such as he will recognize how difficult it is to come so close and he might be motivated enough if he believes he can do it in 2-3 more years.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:37 AM, cddolphin said:

Terrible take when you look at the Pats' playoff performances.

Belichick won't retire with Brady - I think he's too competitive. I can see him coaching to 70 and trying to make another SB with Brady's successor (and probably making it).

Who else could have scored 41 pts and 31 pts without deep threats?

You can't even find a QB who could have scored 400 pts with that squad. Pats without Brady at best would be just another AFCE team fighting for playoff spot.

Archived