The Oscars

RamRod

5 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Lady Gaga and Melissa McCarthy nominated for best actress.... What has the world come toO.o

I haven’t seen either of their movies but I don’t get your point. Do you think their performances aren’t worthy?

2 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I haven’t seen either of their movies but I don’t get your point. Do you think their performances aren’t worthy?

No it was jest a just pointing out that those are two people I don't think anyone would have ever imagined would be getting best actress nominations. Wasn't meant to be taken seriously

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

No it was jest a just pointing out that those are two people I don't think anyone would have ever imagined would be getting best actress nominations. Wasn't meant to be taken seriously

McCarthy got a nomination for Bridesmaids which still puzzles me but this movie seems like something different than her usual unfunny comedies.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I knew it was coming, but I'm still upset Black Panther got nominated.

They have to do this to get viewers.  There is literally no other way they get viewers for a bunch of snooze fest movies that nobody watches. 

It's despicable of the Oscars to nominate a movie for ratings, especially one so bland and boring and not all that great as Black Panther.  Say what you want about the other reasons for it being nominated, it was nothing - NOTHING - special as a movie, like a photocopy visually of every other 18 Marvel movies before it with the exact same arc and narrative style. 

It's a shame and a catastrophe that the Oscars care more about their image, their viewership and their ratings than they do about trying to put their minuscule, out of touch, biased and corrupted minds together to figure out which film was the greatest achievement in... Filmmaking. 

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

They have to do this to get viewers.  There is literally no other way they get viewers for a bunch of snooze fest movies that nobody watches. 

It's despicable of the Oscars to nominate a movie for ratings, especially one so bland and boring and not all that great as Black Panther.  Say what you want about the other reasons for it being nominated, it was nothing - NOTHING - special as a movie, like a photocopy visually of every other 18 Marvel movies before it with the exact same arc and narrative style. 

It's a shame and a catastrophe that the Oscars care more about their image, their viewership and their ratings than they do about trying to put their minuscule, out of touch, biased and corrupted minds together to figure out which film was the greatest achievement in... Filmmaking. 

Oh, I get wanting to bring in viewers. I argued for it a few years ago. But as you said, Black Panther is nothing special.

There were other, better movies that made money to nominate. But the backlash they would have received...

Black Panther getting a nod is just another validation that this award show is much more about rich celebs patting themselves on the back for being woke than it is about recongnizing the best of the industry.

Also, Roma is on a level its own against the other films nominated for BP, but I dont think it wins because it was released straight to Netflix. The industry needs to protect its own, and traditionally released films are much larger generators of money. They wont want to recognize the shift to streaming as an option. And for that reason, the best movie, Roma, wont win.

Archived