The Oscars

RamRod

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Black Panther getting a nod is just another validation that this award show is much more about rich celebs patting themselves on the back for being woke than it is about recongnizing the best of the industry.

Also, Roma is on a level its own against the other films nominated for BP, but I dont think it wins because it was released straight to Netflix. The industry needs to protect its own, and traditionally released films are much larger generators of money. They wont want to recognize the shift to streaming as an option. And for that reason, the best movie, Roma, wont win.

Agreed. Roma is on a whole different level of filmmaking compared to the other movies nominated. Which means they'll get the consolation prize, Best Foreign Movie. 

1 hour ago, August4th said:

they should just split BP into two awards like it was originally. one for "blockbuster" big release films and one for the artistic smaller ones. I think everyone wins there

No. That was an awful idea.

8 hours ago, RamRod said:

I haven’t seen either of their movies but I don’t get your point. Do you think their performances aren’t worthy?

I think Lady Gaga played herself. I don't think you should get an Oscar nomination for that.

As others have said, Black Panther shouldn't be in the running for best picture. However, I really liked Michael B Jordan as Killmonger and wouldn't have hated a supporting actor nomination (but not a win). But that could also just be because I had such low expectation for him and ended up loving what he did.

Beale Street and Barry Jenkins were straight robbed. Ridiculous. 

ROMA should easily clean up Best Cinematography, Best Director and Best Picture. But the Academy will probably baulk at rewarding Netflix, so some mediocre "#3 on everyones list" like Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody is gonna win. Gross. 

My Hopes: [1st and 2nd]

Picture: Roma (The Favorite)

Actor: Christian Bale

Actress: Olivia Colman (Yalitza Aparicio)

Supporting Actor: Adam Driver 

Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz (Emma Stone)

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

Adapted SP: If Beale Street Could Talk (BlacKKKlansman)

Original SP: The Favorite (Vice)

Cinema: Roma (the Favorite)

Archived