The Oscars

RamRod

Beale street didnt get a nod because the production company behind it dissolved, so there wasnt some corporate machine to pump it up. Which basically shows the whole problem behind the Oscars.

Funny to me that some people are calling Crazy Rich Asians not getting a nod a snub. Its a formulaic rom-com that has been made 10,000 times but this one happened to have a different shade of character. If they wanted to give more representation to Asian talent at the Oscars, they should have given some sort of nomination(s) to Searching which stars an Asian as a regular person rather than the tired stereotypes that Crazy Rich Asians seemed to lean on.

The 2019 Oscars look about as bad in terms of lineup as the 2018 Oscars did but will see.  At least the Best Picture winner will not be The Shape of Water again which was awful...

Honestly, just saw BlacKkKlansman and wow, yeah it is barely a two star movie to me and if I never saw it again I would not really mind.  Ok but I thought it was supposed to be funny, but in the sensitive world of today and trying to get diversity in movies it is nominated for an Oscar?  Same with Black Panther, ok movie but in no way would I call it this all time great film and Oscar worthy at all.  At least I guess it is a step in the right direction, next step having quality movies with lead African American characters nominated for Oscars.  

Fruitvale Station is a damn good movie and should have been nominated back in 2013, not freakign BlackKKlansman but maybe that is just me....  Oh like 12 Years a Slave, that is a movie worth winning and Oscar and did for a freaking reason.

I have not seen Bohemian Rhapsody, Favourite, Green Book, Roma, A Star is Born and Vice.  I hold out hope for Bohemian Rhapsody and The Favourite but the rest seem pretty average.  Oh and Roma just watching the trailer could win a ton so at least there are those which are solid, Roma should win cinematography pretty easy but will see. 

First Reformed  seems good but was only nominated for original screenplay 

The Killing of a Sacred Deer should have been nominated, since 2017 seems to be in play and it was directed by Yorgos Lanthimos who directed The Favourite.   Also Sweet Country should have been nominated as well potentially.  

On 1/22/2019 at 9:31 AM, Outpost31 said:

A Quiet Place is gonna be remembered for the next 100 years as a great science fiction horror and all the rest of these movies are going to fade into absolute anonymity.

Same damn Oscars. 

Really?  A Quiet Place?  That movie was maybe awesome if you are a 14 year old or something.  To call that horror well I did not find it all that scary and the 'monster' or alien whatever was freaking lame as can be.  But yeah John Krasinski made stared and directed in it so that tells a lot, I was pretty disappointed by that movie after hearing hype about it to be honest I thought it was

FairScarceBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

8 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

There is only one reason Black Panther was nominated for best picture....and it has nothing to do with the actual quality of the film.

Pretty sure I know what your insinuating, and you better be careful because that talk isnt inline with forum law

Its also not true. Disney campaigned harder than anyone has ever campaigned for an Oscar nom. They have a ton of influence, its not surprising given their resources. 

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Pretty sure I know what your insinuating, and you better be careful because that talk isnt inline with forum law

Its also not true. Disney campaigned harder than anyone has ever campaigned for an Oscar nom. They have a ton of influence, its not surprising given their resources. 

It absolutely is true.   All Hollywood does anymore is push their agenda down everyones throats.      Anyone who denies it is simply choosing not to see it.

It doesnt matter how hard they campaigned.    Black Panther, while good, wasnt remotely close to a best picture caliber film.    It has no business being one of the finalists.      If it had any business whatsoever being there, I wouldnt have said a thing.   

And to piggyback off your point about Disney, its the same reason they campaigned so hard for it.    They forcefeed people their views harder than anyone else, and yes, they have the influence to make it happen.    

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Yea but Infinity War was nothing special right? Top 3 grossing movie of all time.

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It absolutely is true.   All Hollywood does anymore is push their agenda down everyones throats.      Anyone who denies it is simply choosing not to see it.

It doesnt matter how hard they campaigned.    Black Panther, while good, wasnt remotely close to a best picture caliber film.    It has no business being one of the finalists.    

And to piggyback off your point about Disney, its the same reason they campaigned so hard for it.    They forcefeed people their views harder than anyone else, and yes, they have the influence to make it happen.    

Yea the entire argument about BP being credible is invalid given Avengers: IW was a superior film.

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea the entire argument about BP being credible is invalid given Avengers: IW was a superior film.

Plus, its nowhere close to The Dark Knight, which is the only superhero film I think was worthy of being a best picture nominee.   

There are other points I could make to support my stance, but I dont want to go any further with it.   I've said my piece.

I mean, everyone knows why BP was nominated. Its clearly not based on merit. The sad thing is there are a number of socially relevant films that were good this year, but they go and push BP on people since its the one that caters to the lowest common denominator. Its not subtle, it had a poor storyline, it didnt have any shade of grey to it. Its the equivalent of Crash but a super hero movie. Just open your mouth and take the message. Dont present conflicting, deep issues that draw on reality (Like Beale Street, or First Reformed). Just package the message as neatly and unwrapped as a 150 character twitter blurb.

Archived