The Oscars

RamRod

Black Panther is fun good movie, but still typical rock-solid MCU fare. Bohemian is merely a good movie buoyed by a great lead acting performance. I heard The Green Book was overrated. I heard A Star Is Born is legitimately great, but it's the 3rd time they've done this movie. I thought Bad Times At The El Royale was better than some of these movies.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched The Wife. I thought going on this would be a case of Glenn Close winning simply because she’s overdue much like Pacino for Scent of Woman or Paul Newman for The Color of Money but she was really good and definitely deserving. Probably one of the biggest locks of the show.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:28 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Black Panther is fun good movie, but still typical rock-solid MCU fare. Bohemian is merely a good movie buoyed by a great lead acting performance. I heard The Green Book was overrated. I heard A Star Is Born is legitimately great, but it's the 3rd time they've done this movie. I thought Bad Times At The El Royale was better than some of these movies.

The Best Picture nominees this year could be arguably the worst collection all time of Best picture nominees, or at least worst in awhile.  I mean Blackklansman was at best a B- or a C movie if that, and for what is supposed to be this funny movie it was not funny, that is an insult that was even nominated.  Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing was worth an Oscar nod and got one, not this crap.  

The Favourite has some promise and will see, is directed by Yorgos Lanthimos the amazing director of The Killing of the Sacred Deer which was freaking cool and original.  Roma I heard was good but will see, but yeah pretty lack luster group for Best Picture.

Hard to not be worse than The Shape of Water winner like last year but that group overall did have some solid movies with Dunkirk, Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Darkest Hour and Get Out.  Not to mention 2017 with Moonlight, Fences, Hell or High Water, Hacksaw Ridge, Lion and Manchester by the Sea, that is a freaking list of Best picture nominees worth getting nominated.  

18 hours ago, August4th said:

yeah...this years batch of films getting BP noms is the weakest I can remember. sad, because I think this was a solid yr for films imo so many better and more deserving films were left out this yr

What was really that good that was left out?  And oddly enough the more popular or main stream movies I feel are needlessly being involved in the Oscars more and more which is ok if it is worth it like Mad Max Fury Road was but many this year are not.. 

For them to say Black Panther is an Oscar worthy movie, ummm no it was not that good period.  People want to talk about how great it is to have a African American super hero, no one commented on the original Blade movie when it was made in 1998.  A very underrated movie I feel and really quite awesome for the time, was before The Matrix yet had very similar fight scenes and vibe that the original Matrix had, not quite as good but still.  No one was gushing over it and nominating Blade for an Oscar just because there was a African American super hero in it, oh but Black Panther is revolutionary or something?  I would say Blade is a better movie overall though than Black Panther was no doubt.

Still just randomly going back to the year 2000, not that long about but look at the Best Picture nominees.  

American Beauty
The Green Mile
The Sixth Sense
The Insider
The Cider House Rules

Pretty solid list outside of The Cidar House Rules I must say.  Really though with the money movies are making clearly few directors or producers care about quality they just do what people will pay to see in the theatres and that is all that matters.  Make a movie with a lot of action intertwined with comedy and one liners, a little sex, few swears and CGI and good to go, oh and have it be based on material that already has a fan base or existed.  

Roma is a good film.  It'll get hated on and didn't have the domestic box office numbers in the U.S. because, let's face it, a lot of American audiences are lazy and don't want to spend an entire movie-view reading subtitles and stereotype a film on account of that without ever even seeing it.

I agree that Bohemian Rhapsody is a straight up average movie bolstered by Malek's outstanding performance - he managed to save what's some really mediocre writing, which speaks world's to that performance.

And there are certain films that audiences just aren't going to get behind because they're "too quiet" or not paced fast enough for their attention spans, despite having really good performances (and technical achievements) in them.  I'd have swapped Leave No Trace in for pretty much any of the BP noms not named Roma.  Not sure that I'd say it was BP-worthy, but Old Man and the Gun was a better film than half the BP noms as well - though I get the feeling David Lowery's getting an Academy blackball right now because of his continued casting of Casey Affleck.

I don't know about as a BP nom, but I feel like 8th Grade, and in particular Bo Burnham for his screenplay (Adam McKay getting a nom over Burnham is absolutely criminal; but then I'd have given Krasinski a nom for A Quiet Place over McKay to be honest) was snubbed.  Ballad of Buster Scruggs should have been a BP nom - but again the Academy is showing its Netflix bias the same as it did with Beasts of No Nation (you can get technical noms but no acting/performance nods because that shows the actors that they have to do major studio projects to get the accolades).  And honestly, Private Life (which I'd hoped Giamatti's rep would have buoyed more) and Madeline's Madeline (which never stood a chance with the Academy) are better all-around films than half the BP noms.

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Roma is a good film.  It'll get hated on and didn't have the domestic box office numbers in the U.S. because, let's face it, a lot of American audiences are lazy and don't want to spend an entire movie-view reading subtitles and stereotype a film on account of that without ever even seeing it.

I agree that Bohemian Rhapsody is a straight up average movie bolstered by Malek's outstanding performance - he managed to save what's some really mediocre writing, which speaks world's to that performance.

And there are certain films that audiences just aren't going to get behind because they're "too quiet" or not paced fast enough for their attention spans, despite having really good performances (and technical achievements) in them.  I'd have swapped Leave No Trace in for pretty much any of the BP noms not named Roma.  Not sure that I'd say it was BP-worthy, but Old Man and the Gun was a better film than half the BP noms as well - though I get the feeling David Lowery's getting an Academy blackball right now because of his continued casting of Casey Affleck.

I don't know about as a BP nom, but I feel like 8th Grade, and in particular Bo Burnham for his screenplay (Adam McKay getting a nom over Burnham is absolutely criminal; but then I'd have given Krasinski a nom for A Quiet Place over McKay to be honest) was snubbed.  Ballad of Buster Scruggs should have been a BP nom - but again the Academy is showing it's Netflix bias the same as it did with Beasts of No Nation.  And honestly, Private Life and Madeline's Madeline (which never stood a chance with the Academy) are better films than half the BP noms.

Yeah I need to see Roma, it looks solid.

I agree Eighth Grade should have been nominated, very key movie and is right on the pulse of today.  It was very good and well worth a nomination.  I have not seen all the new movies but many are not even worth watching to be honest.  Then you have movies like The Rider and Sweet Country no one even knows about, heck in the politically correct time of today why would Sweet Country not be nominated?  Was made in 2017 both of them and released in the US box office 2018 though.  And best thing about Sweet Country the racial stuff is not so right in your face even though it is part of the story and you think of them more as characters and not hey there is the token black guy.    

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What was really that good that was left out?  And oddly enough the more popular or main stream movies I feel are needlessly being involved in the Oscars more and more which is ok if it is worth it like Mad Max Fury Road was but many this year are not.. 

For them to say Black Panther is an Oscar worthy movie, ummm no it was not that good period.  People want to talk about how great it is to have a African American super hero, no one commented on the original Blade movie when it was made in 1998.  A very underrated movie I feel and really quite awesome for the time, was before The Matrix yet had very similar fight scenes and vibe that the original Matrix had, not quite as good but still.  No one was gushing over it and nominating Blade for an Oscar just because there was a African American super hero in it, oh but Black Panther is revolutionary or something?  I would say Blade is a better movie overall though than Black Panther was no doubt.

Still just randomly going back to the year 2000, not that long about but look at the Best Picture nominees.  

American Beauty
The Green Mile
The Sixth Sense
The Insider
The Cider House Rules

Pretty solid list outside of The Cidar House Rules I must say.  Really though with the money movies are making clearly few directors or producers care about quality they just do what people will pay to see in the theatres and that is all that matters.  Make a movie with a lot of action intertwined with comedy and one liners, a little sex, few swears and CGI and good to go, oh and have it be based on material that already has a fan base or existed.  

Not true.  It's just that they aren't cranking out a new film every year or even every other year because they're actually invested in the projects they do - and in a lot of cases, audiences just don't get exposed to them because distributors don't get behind films for major national and international releases unless they think it can net them a ton at the box office (which, sadly, with a lot of domestic audiences, means following the formulaic tons of action, lots of on-the-nose dialogue/humor model).

Private Life is the first film Tamara Jenkins as made in 11 years (since The Savages) in large part because she was so emotionally-invested in the subject matter having gone through it herself.

Cory Finley, making his directorial debut, achieved some prime-De Palma level directing in Thoroughbreds.  Lynne Ramsay's been doing great stuff for years, but it's not the sort of stuff that distributors want to put in theaters.  Hriokazu's direction in Shoplifters was brilliant - there's so much intent that's actually there if you look for it and consider how else it could have been done, but wasn't because it wouldn't have been effective.

We saw how long it took to get major production behind Lanthinmos, whose been giving us great films for 10 years now going back to Dogtooth.  Hollywood is just... mindnumbingly slow.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I need to see Roma, it looks solid.

I agree Eighth Grade should have been nominated, very key movie and is right on the pulse of today.  It was very good and well worth a nomination.  I have not seen all the new movies but many are not even worth watching to be honest.  Then you have movies like The Rider and Sweet Country no one even knows about, heck in the politically correct time of today why would Sweet Country not be nominated?  Was made in 2017 both of them and released in the US box office 2018 though.  And best thing about Sweet Country the racial stuff is not so right in your face even though it is part of the story and you think of them more as characters and not hey there is the token black guy.    

I think Sweet Country fell into that same space that The Other Side of the Wind did; they'll find a reason to not nominate a film they think might actually steal votes away from the voters they figure will be voting for their presumptive favorites.  Take, for example, that it's as obvious as a slap in the face that they want to give Spike the Best Director Award this year, not because BlacKKKlansman is some great film (by his standard or any other), but as a sort of cumulative achievement award (same way they did with Ang Lee for Life of Pi).  But if you put Orson Welles' last film, that didn't get released until almost 25 years after his death, up against it, there are a good number of voters that would vote for Welles on the "Meryl Streep Principle".

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think Sweet Country fell into that same space that The Other Side of the Wind did; they'll find a reason to not nominate a film they think might actually steal votes away from the voters they figure will be voting for their presumptive favorites.  Take, for example, that it's as obvious as a slap in the face that they want to give Spike the Best Director Award this year, not because BlacKKKlansman is some great film (by his standard or any other), but as a sort of cumulative achievement award (same way they did with Ang Lee for Life of Pi).  But if you put Orson Welles' last film, that didn't get released until almost 25 years after his death, up against it, there are a good number of voters that would vote for Welles on the "Meryl Streep Principle".

Very true and that is probably the case with Spike but yeah BlacKKKlansman totally sucked and was quite bad I thought, not funny either which was a surprise some what.  Same happened with Roger Deakins last year, Cinematography or director of photography genius, but he wins his one and only Oscar from freaking Blade Runner 2049, damn insult.

Here are other movies he has done, a few being some of the most well shot movies visually ever.  

Sicario
Prisoners
Skyfall
Revolutionary Road
Doubt
The Assassination of Jessie James
No Country for Old Men
Jarhead
A Beautiful Mind
The Hurricane
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Fargo
The Shawshank Redemption
Thunderheart

Honestly though director wise you cannot really find a directior with this kind of track record like Deakins has.  At least not currently.  Sure some have little good movies but few can string together hit after hit like some of the older greats did.

Rian Johnson, how can you make Brick then make these crap Star Wars movies that totally suck.  Ana Lily Amirpour made A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, then makes this crap like The Bad Batch which sucked.  .  

Joel and Ethan Coen are arguably two of the most talented directors currently but even then still make some bad movies like Hail, Caesar! but at least they do write as well which makes it even more impressive.   David Fincher is really impressive as well and has a great track record of movies, he is right up there.  Then there is Quentin like the Coen's who writes his stuff which makes it even that more impressive.  Ridley Scott is impressive but has not done a ton lately, but his older stuff is great, same with Martin Scorsese and some others.

With Tamara Jenkins and The Savages, sure that is difficult and hard to go through in life but the fact she has not made a movie in so long probably has more to do with funding and subject matter than her trama she had to deal with in life.  And The Savages was good but nothing great and no surprise why it did not make a ton.  But yes directors writers or whatever, there is a fine line of this is a great story and this will actually make money.  Because no matter how great the story or great the film work, if it does not make money and is popular with a wide spread audience no one will see it.  Still it is nice to watch movies that are unique and original and to me that is just something the film industry rarely produces of late and proof of that is the Oscar nominations this year.  Not many films to really get excited about I feel.  

All this talk of which movie should win best picture and it's abundantly clear to me that 20 years from now, A Quiet Place is going to be the most enduring movie made from this year and the others are all going to be forgotten about (except for Black Panther, whose legacy will be tied to the MCU). 

Archived