2019 Free Agency - Potential Targets

D82

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

For 15 years we (and the Redskins) were offseason champs. Always bringing in the biggest/most names. And we were terrible. The last 5 years we have been frugal. Weve been very successful in the NFC comparatively (most division titles, 2nd most wins). 

Its not dumb, its boring. Though I am very disappointed we didnt get ET3. 

It feels like we are a couple good players away from making a superbowl run. So frustrating. 

It's dumb in the sense that we've seen other franchises get good players on cheap contracts who have helped them win championships over the last couple of years (or at least, make it to the Super Bowl). 

I'm not saying go and spend all of your cap resources on one or two players. I'm saying be smart and add pieces to help get over the hump. If you were to tell me that the Cowboys were to bring in C.J. Anderson or Ty Montgomery, Ezekiel Ansah or Justin Houston, Ndamukong Suh or Timmy Jernigan, Clinton-Dix or Quin on cheap, 1 or 2 year contracts...I'd be ecstatic. 

You might say it's the first day of free agency, be patient - but when every beat reporter for the team says it's unlikely they're going to be active at all in free agency aside from bringing back their own...it doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

Not really. Same spot basically, watching the Championship round  from their homes. 

Absolutely ridiculous take. Cmon man. You know going 5-11 and being the laughing stock of the NFL =/= having one of the best young rosters in the NFL and being a regular in the playoffs. 

This is just plain silly to say. 

Matts, Jerry got a reputation as being a FA spender after Deion.  But the truth is that we’ve really never been like the redskins when it comes to free agent spending.  The very few times that we were active in FA spending such as 2005 had good results.  TO was a good FA pick up that helped the team to the best record in NFC. Brandon Carr was a good FA pick up.  The thing that has hurt the franchise is making horrible trades for Galloway and Williams... not the few times we’ve been active in FA.

2 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Matts, Jerry got a reputation as being a FA spender after Deion.  But the truth is that we’ve really never been like the redskins when it comes to free agent spending.  The very few times that we were active in FA spending such as 2005 had good results.  TO was a good FA pick up that helped the team to the best record in NFC. Brandon Carr was a good FA pick up.  The thing that has hurt the franchise is making horrible trades for Galloway and Williams... not the few times we’ve been active in FA.

Hardy, Leaf, Wiley, Vanderjagt, Riveria, Young, George, Weeden, etc. Also, I dont think Owens nor Carr were good signings in hindsight. 

The list that you made includes a ton of JAGs that every team makes. There’s not one player on that list that set the franchise back with a big contract that resulted in a lot of dead salary cap money.   Hardy was a one year deal which didn’t cripple the franchise.  If fact Hardy’s contract was made in a per game basis.  Rivera was part of the 2005 class which I mentioned before which immediately helped turn the team around including having a really good team in 2007.  Wiley was at the end of his career and wasn’t a great signing but was far from a splash signing that hurt the franchise.  At that point the franchise was hurt from the Galloway trade and poor drafting.  

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/05/01/cowboys-wanted-double-dip-2nd-round-also-draft-oklahoma-state-de-emmanuel-ogbah

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones was asked Saturday if he wanted Ogbah early in the second round of the draft Friday night.

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean we still wouldn't have tried to get right back and get Smith," Jones said.

Those plans changed, however, when Ogbah became the first player taken to start the second round when the Cleveland Browns drafted him two spots in front of the Cowboys

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Absolutely ridiculous take. Cmon man. You know going 5-11 and being the laughing stock of the NFL =/= having one of the best young rosters in the NFL and being a regular in the playoffs. 

This is just plain silly to say. 

I love ya textaz, but Matts is right. 

Archived