Bengals to hire Raiders QB Coach Brian Callahan as OC

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

......why?

I mean, I like it as a Ravens fan but......why?

I don't think it matters much. I really can't believe that Taylor, coming from his tree, isn't going to be calling plays and whatnot. Honestly, not even sure why some of these guys have OCs. Shanny doesn't. I don't think McVay did this year either. They are basically their own OC. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it matters much. I really can't believe that Taylor, coming from his tree, isn't going to be calling plays and whatnot. Honestly, not even sure why some of these guys have OCs. Shanny doesn't. I don't think McVay did this year either. They are basically their own OC. 

I don't think calling them passing-game and running-game coordinators is really any different. I wonder if Taylor is trying to get Bill Callahan by hiring his son.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I don't think calling them passing-game and running-game coordinators is really any different. I wonder if Taylor is trying to get Bill Callahan by hiring his son.

Agreed. And Shanny does have those (pass / run game coordinators) who are heavily involved in the game planning. They just don't call plays. So I think that would be Callahan's role here as well, he just has an official "OC" job title as opposed to pass / run game coordinators. 

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

......why?

I mean, I like it as a Ravens fan but......why?

Hard to say if this new coaching staff will succeed, but I'm happy with the hires/rumors.  I'm thrilled I'm not reading "Bengals are hiring Norv Turner, Scott Linehan, Marc Trestman, Mike McCoy, etc..."

Like other Bengals fans have said, at least it’s refreshing we are trying something different after all these years. If it doesn’t work out, try again in a few years. The mediocrity of Marvin could only last so long before it left us wanting more. What difference does it make if you are 4-12 or 9-7 and still miss the playoffs? Try new things and eventually you’ll find a nut (see Cleveland Browns). 

8 hours ago, Duluther said:

That’s be embarrassing for Bill. To be OL coach when you’re son is your OC, and when your former QB is your HC.

Eh, I don't know. Maybe Bill doesn't want to be the head honcho anymore and is happy with an advisory / assistant HC role to mentor two young coaches, one of which is his son and the other a former player he's close with?

Depends on how you swing it and how he feels about it.

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Eh, I don't know. Maybe Bill doesn't want to be the head honcho anymore and is happy with an advisory / assistant HC role to mentor two young coaches, one of which is his son and the other a former player he's close with?

Depends on how you swing it and how he feels about it.

Yeah i agree.  I have to assume positions like OC and HC come with longer hours, more responsibility, etc.  Someone toward the latter half of their career that's made their money and fame may just be comfortable doing the thing they know they're good at.

Also, i wouldn't be surprised if they hired Bill as an OL coach/assistant HC to help out Zac.

Archived