Bengals to hire Raiders QB Coach Brian Callahan as OC

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, Duluther said:

That’s be embarrassing for Bill. To be OL coach when you’re son is your OC, and when your former QB is your HC.

i don't think it's embarrassing at all. i imagine he's quite happy for his son, and sometimes coaches take pride in working for players they used to coach. dean pees has repeatedly said that one of the reasons he became the titans' defensive coordinator was because he was really excited to work for a guy he used to coach in vrabel.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:16 PM, Duluther said:

That’s be embarrassing for Bill. To be OL coach when you’re son is your OC, and when your former QB is your HC.

You get full control over your OL and get to be the main influencer in the running game all while working for people that wouldn't have gotten to their current position without you? Yeah, how embarrassing

2 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

You get full control over your OL and get to be the main influencer in the running game all while working for people that wouldn't have gotten to their current position without you? Yeah, how embarrassing

Yes that would be embarrassing no matter how you put lipstick on it. Unless he genuinely doesn’t want a higher position.

3 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

BTW, it would appear that Bill Callahan is not going to be the OL coach.  The Redskins FO basically confirmed he's coming back next year.

So still a mystery who's going to fill that spot.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

BTW, it would appear that Bill Callahan is not going to be the OL coach.  The Redskins FO basically confirmed he's coming back next year.

So still a mystery who's going to fill that spot.

They said they expect him back.  They're posturing for some kind of compensation.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

They said they expect him back.  They're posturing for some kind of compensation.

That's the only way he's coming over, and i can't see the Bengals offering up compensation for him.

6 hours ago, Duluther said:

Yes that would be embarrassing no matter how you put lipstick on it. Unless he genuinely doesn’t want a higher position.

The vast majority of OL coaches are very happy with "just" being an OL coach that is paid "just" over a million dollars a year. Most of them don't ever really want to be a head coach and those that do often don't want to after their first time being a head coach because their skills as an OL coach make them great at developing an elite defense or a great passing game (which is what you need to do as a HC to maintain that position).

9 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

The vast majority of OL coaches are very happy with "just" being an OL coach that is paid "just" over a million dollars a year. Most of them don't ever really want to be a head coach and those that do often don't want to after their first time being a head coach because their skills as an OL coach make them great at developing an elite defense or a great passing game (which is what you need to do as a HC to maintain that position).

Why are you generalizing so much, rather than being specific? I’d assume because the specifics don’t support you. Bill Callahan has not just been a OL coach; he was a HC twice. He may or may not desire to be one at this stage, which can’t be proven either either way so that’s be a speculative point at best, but the fact that he has had the desire and been a head coach refutes the point entirely.

If you’ve got to put so much lipstick on something like this (i.e. all this theatrical spinning talk you’re doing), it’s probably because you’re putting it on a pig. Just put it as simple and unbiased as possible, no theatrics: we have a failed HC now (possibly) working under his son [oc] and his protege [hc]. 

Not to say it isn’t impossible for someone to be filled with pride moreso than embarrassment in this scenario, but that takes a particular kind of man (which ventures into a whole other discussion that is very specific to who Bill is as a person... which I won’t get into much, but I will say he was the HC of my team and his character, or lack thereof, is well documented). Let’s be clear: this isn’t the same thing as a father son business where after many years the father gets long in the tooth and hands the main duties to his longtime employee and his son. This is a case of him - calling a spade a spade - working under his son and protege. 

Archived