Bengals to hire Raiders QB Coach Brian Callahan as OC

RaidersAreOne

On 1/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, Duluther said:

That’s be embarrassing for Bill. To be OL coach when you’re son is your OC, and when your former QB is your HC.

Think everyone covered it, but I'll chime in and say no. I'd say it's actually his proudest moment...

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

Why are you generalizing so much, rather than being specific? I’d assume because the specifics don’t support you. Bill Callahan has not just been a OL coach; he was a HC twice. He may or may not desire to be one at this stage, which can’t be proven either either way so that’s be a speculative point at best, but the fact that he has had the desire and been a head coach refutes the point entirely.

So why are you speculating that Bill still wants to be a HC? 

It's been 12 years since he's been a HC (16 in the NFL).  If it was something he wanted so bad, one would think he could have found a spot at a lower level college.  But instead he's coaching OL in the NFL.

I don't know what the guy is thinking necessarily, but i think we can rule out that he has a burning desire to be a HC at this point.

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Why are you generalizing so much, rather than being specific? I’d assume because the specifics don’t support you. Bill Callahan has not just been a OL coach; he was a HC twice. He may or may not desire to be one at this stage, which can’t be proven either either way so that’s be a speculative point at best, but the fact that he has had the desire and been a head coach refutes the point entirely.

If you’ve got to put so much lipstick on something like this (i.e. all this theatrical spinning talk you’re doing), it’s probably because you’re putting it on a pig. Just put it as simple and unbiased as possible, no theatrics: we have a failed HC now (possibly) working under his son [oc] and his protege [hc]. 

Not to say it isn’t impossible for someone to be filled with pride moreso than embarrassment in this scenario, but that takes a particular kind of man (which ventures into a whole other discussion that is very specific to who Bill is as a person... which I won’t get into much, but I will say he was the HC of my team and his character, or lack thereof, is well documented). Let’s be clear: this isn’t the same thing as a father son business where after many years the father gets long in the tooth and hands the main duties to his longtime employee and his son. This is a case of him - calling a spade a spade - working under his son and protege. 

No one can get into the mind of Bill to know forsure, but this is a ridiculously cynical take. Whether or not he failed as a HC (16 years ago), working alongside your child in any fashion - regardless of where you both rank on a positional hierarchy - would be a fantastically fulfilling way to end a long career. Why wouldn't you want to show up for work to work with your son and protege (people I assume he likes and enjoys being around) bestow your knowledge onto them, and watch them blossom as a coaches and people? Not every coach, former HC or not, inherently strives to reach the pinnacle position of head coach; especially given his age. And it's not like Bill Callahan is a terrible OL coach who is begging for a job so he goes to his son and protege desperately looking for work. He's well-accomplished in his field and is sought after for it. What would he be bitter about? The coaching title, money, self-image?

At this point in Callahan's life I can assume money, notoriety or pride don't reign supreme over his quality of life, and how he wishes to end his career. If Bill makes that decision I'm happy for him. If I were in his shoes that option would probably top my list.

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

If you’ve got to put so much lipstick on something like this (i.e. all this theatrical spinning talk you’re doing), it’s probably because you’re putting it on a pig. Just put it as simple and unbiased as possible, no theatrics: we have a failed HC now (possibly) working under his son [oc] and his protege [hc]. 

Not to say it isn’t impossible for someone to be filled with pride moreso than embarrassment in this scenario, but that takes a particular kind of man (which ventures into a whole other discussion that is very specific to who Bill is as a person... which I won’t get into much, but I will say he was the HC of my team and his character, or lack thereof, is well documented). Let’s be clear: this isn’t the same thing as a father son business where after many years the father gets long in the tooth and hands the main duties to his longtime employee and his son. This is a case of him - calling a spade a spade - working under his son and protege. 

weird 

this would be in no way what so ever embarrassing 

3 hours ago, Duluther said:

I do not understand this line of thinking whatsoever, and I hate Callahan (as a Husker fan) and would love to take a jab at him. This ain't the one chief. 

Archived