Dallas Cowboys - NFL Draft Prospect Meetings

canadaluvsdallas

49 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Per @BobbyBelt

South Carolina's Deebo Samuel and Missouri's Emanuel Hall have already been confirmed as Cowboys pre-draft visitors, and you can now add another wide receiver: Georgia WR Mecole Hardman.

Would love another speed guy.

Hardman would be fun

Took about 5 minutes to look up where each top-30 visitor is slated to be picked in the draft. This is super rough, and I'm sure I screwed something up, but there are some interesting patterns.

2 Jaylon Ferguson, DE
3 Christian Miller, DE
5 John Cominsky, DL
3 Gerald Willis, DL
4 Trysten Hill, DL
5 Kingsley Keke, DL

7 Dre Greenlaw, LB
7 Darius Harris, LB

5 Mike Weber, RB

2 Taylor Rapp, S
2 Johnathan Abram, S
2 Juan Thornhill, S

3 Dawson Knox, TE
2 Jace Sternberger, TE
5 Drew Sample, TE

2 Deebo Samuel, WR
3 Emanuel Hall,               WR
4 Mecole Hardman, WR

Notes:

• I think it's pretty clear that the Cowboys would definitely take a safety at #58 if the right one were available. But perhaps they aren't looking too strongly at developmental guys who won't make much of an early impact. 
  • They want at least one defensive lineman, but will be flexible with where they take one. Doing homework all over the board.
  • They'd like to draft another WR if the right value presents itself somewhere in rounds 2-4
  • They are not satisfied with TE either. Approaching it similarly to WR
  • A mid-round RB could interest them
  • They are looking for a developmental linebacker and special-teamer in the late rounds.
  • If I had to guess, they'd love a safety in the second round, then add a defensive lineman and pass catcher (TE or WR) in the 3rd and 4th round.
Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Took about 5 minutes to look up where each top-30 visitor is slated to be picked in the draft. This is super rough, and I'm sure I screwed something up, but there are some interesting patterns.

2 Jaylon Ferguson, DE
3 Christian Miller, DE
5 John Cominsky, DL
3 Gerald Willis, DL
4 Trysten Hill, DL
5 Kingsley Keke, DL

7 Dre Greenlaw, LB
7 Darius Harris, LB

5 Mike Weber, RB

2 Taylor Rapp, S
2 Johnathan Abram, S
2 Juan Thornhill, S

3 Dawson Knox, TE
2 Jace Sternberger, TE
5 Drew Sample, TE

2 Deebo Samuel, WR
4 Mecole Hardman, WR

Notes:

• I think it's pretty clear that the Cowboys would definitely take a safety at #58 if the right one were available. But perhaps they aren't looking too strongly at developmental guys who won't make much of an early impact. 
  • They want at least one defensive lineman, but will be flexible with where they take one. Doing homework all over the board.
  • They'd like to draft another WR if the right value presents itself somewhere in rounds 2-4
  • They are looking for a developmental linebacker and special-teamer in the late rounds.
  • If I had to guess, they'd love a safety in the second round, then add a defensive lineman and pass catcher (TE or WR) in the 3rd and 4th round.

Really nice write-up/breakdown 

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

He's one of the 30 visits....

Probably hurts his stock some, but Rapp probably makes up for it with football IQ.

Also plays faster than that thanks to his change of direction skills (tested elite in the 3-cone, 20 yard shuttle, and 60 yard shuttle.)

Rapp would be a dream for Dallas. His 40 yard dash time is the only thing that makes this dream even slightly feasible. Would be a great pairing with Woods.

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

2 Jaylon Ferguson, DE
3 Christian Miller, DE
5 John Cominsky, DL
3 Gerald Willis, DL
4 Trysten Hill, DL
5 Kingsley Keke, DL

7 Dre Greenlaw, LB
7 Darius Harris, LB

5 Mike Weber, RB

2 Taylor Rapp, S
2 Johnathan Abram, S
2 Juan Thornhill, S

3 Dawson Knox, TE
2 Jace Sternberger, TE
5 Drew Sample, TE

2 Deebo Samuel, WR
4 Mecole Hardman, WR

Notes:

I would change a few. Jaylon after his pro day is did nothing to vault himself into the 2nd round. Especially with a 3-cone drill most OT's would be ashamed of. Sternberger too I think gets droppped to the 3rd or even 4th.

But other then that, i think you might be right about their drafting.

13 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I would change a few. Jaylon after his pro day is did nothing to vault himself into the 2nd round. Especially with a 3-cone drill most OT's would be ashamed of. Sternberger too I think gets droppped to the 3rd or even 4th.

But other then that, i think you might be right about their drafting.

Perhaps. My goal was more to look for trends at positions than focus on specific players. I haven’t done enough work to confidently say on most of them. 

That said, if you are right and the Cowboys view Ferguson and Sternberger as third round picks, then safety looks like an even stronger bet at #58.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Excellent. Let the best safety in the draft tumble to 58

After that 40? We've seen a 4.7 throw guys 2 or 3 rounds down before they get selected. The fact that he is not known as a coverage guy and the way of the box safety is now considered only a luxury option and not a necessity he could see himself free fall. I was not a big fan of Abram or Rapp coming in and even less of a fan now with us signing Iloka.