Lions hire John Bonamego to coach Special Teams

TheKillerNacho

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/lions-announce-john-bonamego-as-special-teams-coordinator/

They pass up on the in-house candidate, Devin Fitzsimmons to hire experienced STC John Bonamego.

Man I hated this guy when he was in Miami. He more recently was the Head Coach of Central Michigan for four seasons, but was fired after leading the team to an 1-11 2018 campaign, the worst in team history.

Weird, a rehire? I mean he did leave them, they didn't fire him. Idk, kinda of wanted Darren Rizzi but he must have bigger plans. Bonamego has a extensive back ground/history in special teams coaching in the NFL though even if he had a rough time as a HC in college. 

In-State guy too, kind of cool, not that it REALLY matters. 

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Man I hated this guy when he was in Miami. He more recently was the Head Coach of Central Michigan for four seasons, but was fired after leading the team to an 1-11 2018 campaign, the worst in team history.

Oh wow. What the hell is DET doing?? I should be enjoying this as a rival fan, but this is just sad.

Interesting hire I guess? He wasn't never that good with the Lions in his first stint with the exception of one season where they had a decently ranked special teams unit. Under Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia he should have better talent to work with on special teams because they prioritize having more roster spots dedicated to guys who excel on special teams,  but I doubt that will suddenly make him a good ST coach. 

Archived