Sam Darnold vs Josh Allen is the next great QB rivalry

Activated10

14 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Cam hasn't progressed as much as you expect you would based on his rookie year. Allen also has better arm talent than Cam, long term Allen will be more consistent QB than Cam ever was

Ignoring the whole "Cam hasn't progressed" narrative, what reason is there that makes you believe Allen will develop into a more consistent version of Cam?  Allen wasn't anywhere close to where Newton was as a rookie.  He wasn't as good of a prospect either.  I haven't seen anything from him (yet) that would suggest him turning into a consistent version of an upper-end franchise QB is anything more than just an optimistic prediction.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

OP: "Sam Darnold vs Josh Allen is the next great QB rivalry"

Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield, who were actually good as rookies:

I mean... LaMar Jackson was meh as a rookie. He wasn't terrible. Sure he has room to grow, but he wasn't good.

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

I mean unless Goff regresses hard and ends up living in the dumpster, I just don't see it.

The 2 live and train together in the offseason.  It's a great story, then you add in the comparisons between them, their coaches, their teams.  It's going to be a primetime game all the time.  You're probably going to get 1 regular season game with playoff implications and hopefully a playoff game (that they should have had this year) most of the time.  

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The 2 live and train together in the offseason.  It's a great story, then you add in the comparisons between them, their coaches, their teams.  It's going to be a primetime game all the time.  You're probably going to get 1 regular season game with playoff implications and hopefully a playoff game (that they should have had this year) most of the time.  

I didn't know that. If that's the case (that they live and train together during the offseason), that really would be a bit of a fun rivalry moving forward. 

Considering both of their rookie seasons were up and down (with more down than up), I think this is pretty premature.....

Iirc there was a thread about how Chad Henne and Mark Sanchez would be a great AFC East rivalry after a particular MNF game way back when on the old forum. That didn't really pan out, obviously.

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I didn't know that. If that's the case (that they live and train together during the offseason), that really would be a bit of a fun rivalry moving forward. 

They have the same agent who set them up together last year.  They became really good friends (there's a bunch of stuff on instagram). Mitch moved in with Jared while they worked together in the offseason up until OTAs kicked off.  The career arcs are just astonishingly similar.  Similar rookie campaigns in similar situations.  Similar 2nd years in similar situations.  The Rams won their division at 11-5 and lost in the WC round to the defending NFC champs.  The Bears won their division at 12-4 and lost in the WC round to the defending Superbowl champs.  Goff went to the probowl as an alternate.  Mitch is going to the probowl as an alternate.  

What a hard life it must have been last year for a former #1 and #2 over all QB of the 2nd and 3rd largest media markets to live and hang out together in SoCal.  

If I was Mitch idk if I could stand living with Jared if the Rams win the SuperBowl this year.  If hes anything like my buddys at that age hes going to be holding it over him all summer, lol.

Simply put: let’s see what both of these guys can do with talent around them. I was impressed by both in their given circumstances.

It’s annoying that people don’t see a finished product of 20/21 year olds and automatically say bust. I didn’t watch as much of Darnold but Josh was the entire offense. He was asked to do everything in order for the Bills to compete, be the leader on offense as a rookie, be the leading rusher, and throw deep ball after deep ball because the team consistently needed bulk yardage at a time because we had a terrible offensive line that resulted in no running game. Sure, he has room to grow, sure he missed consistently with flat throws, we knew what Josh Allen was going to be coming out, and to be honest he was better than i expected him to be at this stage. Let’s see if he grows. 

He was a RAW talent coming out, who most everyone said should sit a year or 2. So give him a year or 2.

29 minutes ago, Danger said:

Main difference is right now. Goff has had a good amount of sustained success. Trubisky has had a few good games here and there.

Not really if we compare their career arcs to this point its striking how close it is. Jared had 34 total TDs in 2 years, Mitch has 35 total TDs in 2 years.  Mitch has the higher comp% Jared has the higher YPA.  In their 2nd years, they both averaged 31 attempts per game.  Jared played 15, Mitch played 14.  Its pretty remarkable.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Not really if we compare their career arcs to this point its striking how close it is. Jared had 34 total TDs in 2 years, Mitch has 35 total TDs in 2 years.  Mitch has the higher comp% Jared has the higher YPA.  In their 2nd years, they both averaged 31 attempts per game.  Jared played 15, Mitch played 14.  Its pretty remarkable.

Mitch has also played in 4 more games, attempted about 85 more passes, ran 73 more times. Thrown 5 more interceptions too.

And lets not forget to acknowledge the fact that the Buccaneers literally weren't even playing defense in Mitch's 6 touchdown game. I watched each of those Touchdown passes. 5 of them were completely wide open. If you take out that game.

Trubisky this past season had seven games with a passer rating below 90. He played in 14 games. (50%) 
Jared Goff last year, in a season that across the board was less QB happy than this season (yes there was a massive increase in favor of the passing game this season) had just four. He played in 15 games. (26.7%)

There is still a wide gap between Goff and Trubisky. 

11 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The amount of disrespect Cam receives on here is amazing.

Is Josh Allen even better than Lamar Jackson? I dont think so. Bills fans are getting out of hand with Allen. Settle down

Josh Allen def better than Lamar Jackson. I was big fan of Jackson before the draft and he had decent rookie year but its obvious he's gonna have huge sophomore slump when defenses figure out the run game 

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Mitch has also played in 4 more games, attempted about 85 more passes, ran 73 more times. Thrown 5 more interceptions too.

And lets not forget to acknowledge the fact that the Buccaneers literally weren't even playing defense in Mitch's 6 touchdown game. I watched each of those Touchdown passes. 5 of them were completely wide open. If you take out that game.

Trubisky this past season had seven games with a passer rating below 90. He played in 14 games. (50%) 
Jared Goff last year, in a season that across the board was less QB happy than this season (yes there was a massive increase in favor of the passing game this season) had just four. He played in 15 games. (26.7%)

There is still a wide gap between Goff and Trubisky. 

Why on earth would we penalize a qb throwing to wide open wrs.  I seriously dont get that.  Hes putting the ball where he was supposed to.  That's what he is supposed to do.  Goff also played significantly worse defenses than Trubisky played.  But go on hold to your narrative buddy.

Archived