Cardinals re-sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to one-year deal

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, freak_of_nature said:

I think AZ's devotion to him could be a hindrance. They could've used that money to sign a good player 10+ years younger coming off his first contract. 

If anything it's the other way around. Fitz's refusal to go to a contender the past few seasons out of loyalty  to the Organization,  trying to help turn it around costed him a potential  SB Ring.

They should accommodate the best player in Franchise history to insure he remains a Cardinal for his entire career. Which is most likely this upcoming Retirement celebration season to come.

Not many better options then Larry to help a Young inexperienced  FQB like Rosen going into his 2nd season.

6 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I think AZ's devotion to him could be a hindrance. They could've used that money to sign a good player 10+ years younger coming off his first contract. 

But would they be as good of player and as great of a locker room guy as Fitz though?

If there's another player in the league who deserves a contract like this, I'd like to see him.  Fitz is the epitome of class, and while he's slowed down, his intangibles are still worth every penny the Cards are paying him one final time.  Good on the Cards and I tip my hat to Mr. FItz - he goes out on top either way!

31 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

AZ is a rebuilding team. Fitz is a fine player and person, no doubt, but it's 2019 and AZ is in a completely different situation than they were a couple of years ago. Give him a FO job. 

In a rebuild you don't need to have 53 guys under 25 years old. You're always going to need a few veteran voices in the locker room. I don't see a problem with this.

Larry is truly winning at the Business of Football...Cap guru, Andrew Brandt wrote about him in the past and Larry is still killing it on the contract side
Through 2018, he's earned $160 million - and that's not fluff. Those are earned dollars and he's about to add more to his total

https://overthecap.com/player/larry-fitzgerald/408/

Larry is a winner both on the field and off, kudos to him

Here's an older article from Brandt detailing Larry's earlier negotiations

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/08/22/larry-fitzgerald-brings-his-a-game-to-contract-negotiation/

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

Not sure on their cap situation, but I doubt that money really matters that much, and besides, Fitz deserves it!

The only problem I have with this is that it means one of the true good guys in the game will go another yr. without a Super Bowl. Loyalty to a team is awesome but it'll be to bad if one of the best WR's ever doesn't win a Super Bowl in his career. 

Archived