Cardinals re-sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to one-year deal

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

Not sure on their cap situation, but I doubt that money really matters that much, and besides, Fitz deserves it!

They'll have 45M going into FA, with 23 FA's. They have to set aside maybe 10M for their draft class. 

So they'll have 35M in FA, but 16 roster spots to fill, assuming they'll get 7 from the draft. So maybe 2 really good players they'll be able to sign + a lot of low/minimum guys to fill out the roster. The 11M would've helped trying to get a LT like Trent Brown or Donovan Smith. 

(Of course this is before cuts & restructures)

@NFLExpert49 I completely understand your frustration with Fitz at this point.  It’s blatantly obvious he doesn’t care about winning and he’s been so misleading and vague about his retirement.  It’s not on the same level as Brett Favre’s waffling but it’s become incredibly irritating 

I’m gonna lose it if he resigns to another 1 year deal with Arizona after this season is over.  I’m getting tired of him too

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

Not sure on their cap situation, but I doubt that money really matters that much, and besides, Fitz deserves it!

You’re right, a guy who’s coming off a season with 69 catches for 734 yards definitely deserves north of $10 million a year from a team that could better use that money to bring in some young difference makers in free agency.  This is getting ridiculous, maybe he deserved it after last season but not after this year

8 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

@NFLExpert49 I completely understand your frustration with Fitz at this point.  It’s blatantly obvious he doesn’t care about winning and he’s been so misleading and vague about his retirement.  It’s not on the same level as Brett Favre’s waffling but it’s become incredibly irritating 

I’m gonna lose it if he resigns to another 1 year deal with Arizona after this season is over.  I’m getting tired of him too

I am a Cards fan and literally haven't heard him say anything about retiring this offseason. You don't have to watch any interviews, read any articles,  etc. lol. You can just wait for the moment he announces it. 

9 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

You’re right, a guy who’s coming off a season with 69 catches for 734 yards definitely deserves north of $10 million a year from a team that could better use that money to bring in some young difference makers in free agency.  This is getting ridiculous, maybe he deserved it after last season but not after this year

$10M a year is not a considerable WR contract in the modern NFL.

Pierre Garcon makes that much.

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

$10M a year is not a considerable WR contract in the modern NFL.

Pierre Garcon makes that much.

Yeah but Garcon was coming off a season where he had 80 catches and over 1000 yards.  His signing made a ton of sense for the 49ers at the time.  Fitz getting $11M at this point in time after the season he just had (which wasnt even his fault because nobody should have been expected to produce in that anemic offense) is just a lifetime achievement award at this point

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I am a Cards fan and literally haven't heard him say anything about retiring this offseason. You don't have to watch any interviews, read any articles,  etc. lol. You can just wait for the moment he announces it. 

Well that's my problem with it.  He's so misleading about it, he acts like it might finally happen and then he just keeps opting into these 1 year deals.  Every year it's "This could be Fitz's last home game", "This may be the last time we see Fitzgerald in a Cards uniform", etc, and it never happens because he keeps coming back for "1 more year" . This was ok in 2016, and maybe even after 2017, but now it's just tiresome

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/cardinals-larry-fitzgerald-final-home-game-rams-stats-retirement-nfl-news/1tbwg5jryihqj18206wgpomair

Seems like a luxury signing for the for Cardinals. I get it that he's a legend in Arizona and stuff, but you've gotta cut the cord at some point. 

Texans WR Andre Johnson has sentimental value to the Texans, but the team cut him after he stopped performing - it's a business, and teams don't have the bandwidth to be sentimental when they're picking #1.

9 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yes it must truly be exhausting for you, given how much the media talks ad nauseum about the powerhouse Arizona Cardinals. To hear about if a football player might retire or might not. 

Truly you suffer.

Or maybe he just needs to stop screwing with all of us with his "maybe I will, maybe I wont" act.  It's not like the media is the one creating the speculating, if they were it would be different but he's the one saying that he might retire and then never actually following through on it

4 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

In the same vein, I'd cringe  if Miami gave Cameron Wake another 10M contract. 

cameron wake hasn't been with the team nearly as long nor is the same level as player as fitz was/is so i don't really understand the comparison.

Great move by the cardinals now and going forward

Just now, MattVikings said:

cameron wake hasn't been with the team nearly as long nor is the same level as player as fitz was/is so i don't really understand the comparison.

He's been a Dolphin for 10 seasons and is tied for 2nd in sacks over past 10 years. (He didn't play in the NFL until he was 27) He was certainly a top NFL DE in his prime.

11 minutes ago, MattVikings said:

Great move by the cardinals now and going forward

Do you mind explaining to me how this is a great move for the Cardinals both right now and the future, other than for PR purposes?  Because I'm just not seeing it when it comes to football related reasons

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

Or maybe he just needs to stop screwing with all of us with his "maybe I will, maybe I wont" act.  It's not like the media is the one creating the speculating, if they were it would be different but he's the one saying that he might retire and then never actually following through on it

Who are you referring to that’s getting screwed with?

I’m going to be real bummed when the day of retirement does come for Fitz. He’s been a great guy on and off the field for a very long time and while I wish he could’ve finished his career the last few years with a quarterback better suited to use him, I definitely respect his choice to stay in Arizona to wrap it all up. 

Archived