Cardinals re-sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to one-year deal

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

Seems like a luxury signing for the for Cardinals. I get it that he's a legend in Arizona and stuff, but you've gotta cut the cord at some point. 

Texans WR Andre Johnson has sentimental value to the Texans, but the team cut him after he stopped performing - it's a business, and teams don't have the bandwidth to be sentimental when they're picking #1.

You said it yourself, you cut him but you had Hopkins waiting after that. The Cards don't have that, why would they cut their best receiver? He's been nothing but an example for the young guys. And they have next to nothing (Kirk maybe?) at that spot.

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

You said it yourself, you cut him but you had Hopkins waiting after that. The Cards don't have that, why would they cut their best receiver? He's been nothing but an example for the young guys. And they have next to nothing (Kirk maybe?) at that spot.

I personally like Kirk, watched him a ton at Texas A&M - think he can be a really solid player and a future #1 for Rosen.

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

Seems like a luxury signing for the for Cardinals. I get it that he's a legend in Arizona and stuff, but you've gotta cut the cord at some point. 

Texans WR Andre Johnson has sentimental value to the Texans, but the team cut him after he stopped performing - it's a business, and teams don't have the bandwidth to be sentimental when they're picking #1.

Honestly let's be real here. Cardinals aren't going to compete in 2019. Why not bring back locker room presence and veteran leadership?

I'd liken this to Calvin Johnson and the Detroit Lions. When he retired, the Lions went after some of his guaranteed money, and created animosity between him and the organization. 

Cardinals understand Fitzgerald isn't worth that much purely from on-field production, but the overall package of what he does bring, to the team and community, made sense for them to overpay a couple million and keep him happy and around.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Honestly let's be real here. Cardinals aren't going to compete in 2019. Why not bring back locker room presence and veteran leadership?

I'd liken this to Calvin Johnson and the Detroit Lions. When he retired, the Lions went after some of his guaranteed money, and created animosity between him and the organization. 

Cardinals understand Fitzgerald isn't worth that much purely from on-field production, but the overall package of what he does bring, to the team and community, made sense for them to overpay a couple million and keep him happy and around.

Yeah, I guess I can concede to this. Good morale booster at the least. Shows the team that if you put in the work, you'll be rewarded.

I'll change my tune on this one. And ONLY this one. Because internet.

FYI, Fitzgeralds stats as a percentage of the team's output for the years.

2018 ----- Yards-29.1% ----- Rec.-24.4% ----- Rec. TD-40.0%

2017 ----- Yards-31.8% ----- Rec.-32.2% ----- Rec. TD-28.6%

2016 ----- Yards-24.7% ----- Rec.-27.9% ----- Rec. TD-21.4%

2015 ----- Yards-26.3% ----- Rec.-31.0% ----- Rec. TD-25.7%

It looks to me like it is largely an effect of the poor offense that he is in. You could argue that he has an impact on the totals for the team offensively, but there isn't a lot he can do if there aren't opportunities. His yards per reception have been stable, there has just been less receptions for him while still putting up a large percentage of the team's yardage totals.

Additionally, you can scale based on pass attempts. Over the previous 5 years, the Cardinals averaged 589.6 pass attempts per year, this year they had 495 attempts. If we scale even just his receptions and yards to a typical Cardinals year, Fitz would have 874 yards on 82 receptions and that is with his QBs completing 57.1% of passes. It may have been a down year, but not near the drop off that some saw just by looking at bulk statistics.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:33 AM, freak_of_nature said:

In the same vein, I'd cringe  if Miami gave Cameron Wake another 10M contract. 

I get what you're saying, but this is a bad example.  Wake is nowhere near the same galaxy as Fitzgerald is as a player or what he has meant to an organization.  Fitzgerald is in a class with guys like Kobe, Jeter, Duncan and other all-time greats who have stayed with the same organization throughout their career.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, footbull3196 said:

Um, that would be everyone who reads the articles that go into detail about how Fitzgerald is contemplating retirement and might call it quits only to be duped by him yet again

Then, why do you keep reading about it?

Although I am a Niners fan, I have lived in Arizona for 15 years.  For those who don't live here, I can see why you would look at stats, his age, suberbowl rings, etc...  But, Larry is so involved in the community here.  Even people who have never watched a single football game know his name.  So, he loves it here and the team, well....I can't ever see them cutting him if he's still producing.  Even if he isn't at his peak.  There would be a revolt.  lol 

It's not like a situation where he's holding them back from taking that next step.  Larry will stop playing for the Cardinals when he announces his retirement.  Not a second before that.  

On 1/24/2019 at 11:33 AM, freak_of_nature said:

In the same vein, I'd cringe  if Miami gave Cameron Wake another 10M contract. 

Meh, his last contract was $8m annually (2 year deal). I'd give him another $7.5m  for a year to extend his legend, tbh.

I imagine some Cards fans have similar feelings regarding Larry's extension.

Archived