Austin Seferian-Jenkins released

Adrenaline_Flux

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

That to me, is creating a hole.  Getting rid of a guy like Gipson and replacing him with the guy who was the "backup" means you're downgrading from what you had in 2017/18 as a starter and at very least, need a really good quality backup just to keep the depth at a comparable level.  Especially when we'll have Harrison coming off an injury to begin with.

Not getting rid of a guy who had like half a dozen catches as a Jaguar.

Doesn't mean they won't do it.  Would pretty much fit their MO.  But promoting decent depth wherever you can find it and cutting the quality starter is exactly how you create holes and decimate your depth.

whos to say they dont like cody davis as a 3rd safety?   and if i recall reavis showed some promise last offseason.   when teams are screwed by the cap they have to make changes to their roster ie replacing starters and or depth guys.   with coughlin still at the helm im fully expecting our cap situation to be crap just like it was the first go around with him as a gm/coach.  

also the injury to Harrison was a Minor knee bruise so there is 0 doubt he will be 100% ready to play week 1 and the entire offseason.  

gipson was good not great last year.  this team has a decent number of needs and needs to get under the cap and figure out their plan for QB next year first and formost.   im nto sure about you but spending 9 million for good not great safety seems pretty high especially compared to the franchise tag last year that was 11 million and change. 

On 24/01/2019 at 9:38 PM, LinderFournette said:

whos to say they dont like cody davis as a 3rd safety?   and if i recall reavis showed some promise last offseason.   when teams are screwed by the cap they have to make changes to their roster ie replacing starters and or depth guys.   with coughlin still at the helm im fully expecting our cap situation to be crap just like it was the first go around with him as a gm/coach.  

also the injury to Harrison was a Minor knee bruise so there is 0 doubt he will be 100% ready to play week 1 and the entire offseason.  

gipson was good not great last year.  this team has a decent number of needs and needs to get under the cap and figure out their plan for QB next year first and formost.   im nto sure about you but spending 9 million for good not great safety seems pretty high especially compared to the franchise tag last year that was 11 million and change. 

I'm not saying they're not going to do something stupid like that.  But i still think it's stupid.

I think you're underselling Gipson here.  He's not just a guy.  He's easily still a Top-10 FS even in a down year, and when the defense is working properly, in this scheme he's a Top-5 and borderline ProBowl caliber FS in the league.  I'd much rather pay a guy $9M to be one of the top guys at his position, than $6M to be...just a guy.  Where's ASJ in the grand scheme of TEs league wide?  Even healthy he's where?  In the 30s, late 20s at best?  Better players are more valuable.

Especially when you think about how much more important FS is to keeping an extremely good secondary together, compared to just having "some okayish guy" as a TE you want to upgrade anyway.  Plus having a SS guy not only coming off injury (no matter how minor), but with only a few games started under his belt beside that prospective new "rookie" FS.  You really want two guys who are effectively rookies backstopping your entire defense?  I don't care how good Ramsey and Bouye are...they're going to look significantly worse without a guy like Gipson back there, and the LBers too.  FS is the glue that holds a scheme like this together.

To frame it another way:

How often have you really felt like Gipson wasn't good enough to be a starting FS for this team?

How many times have you felt like ASJ wasn't good enough to be the primary TE weapon for this team?

Sure, it's a $3M salary gulf between the two...but the latter question feels like something that comes up constantly.  The former, never.

Cut players who aren't that good at their jobs and haven't contributed anything, before you cut similarly priced players who are legitimately good at their jobs, and potentially integral parts of the strength of your team.  It shouldn't be complicated.

Thats a good point Tug, at least Gipson is still good at what he does and with no obvious replacement like with Harrison, cutting him is a massive gamble and we've all seen how terrible a defense can get when you don't have a dependable FS to prevent massive plays from happening. Plus we weren't getting to the QB nearly as well as 2 years ago so big plays could be there is a decent FS isn't

On 26/01/2019 at 5:41 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats a good point Tug, at least Gipson is still good at what he does and with no obvious replacement like with Harrison, cutting him is a massive gamble and we've all seen how terrible a defense can get when you don't have a dependable FS to prevent massive plays from happening. Plus we weren't getting to the QB nearly as well as 2 years ago so big plays could be there is a decent FS isn't

Yeah.  Just not a risk i'd want to take if it can be at all avoided.

Much rather risk going into next season with the same sort of hodgepodge TE group we had last year when ASJ missed the whole thing anyway.  Less potential catastrophe in having underwhelming TEs, than having your entire defense held together by a poor Free Safety.

Archived