Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as DC

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

There were 5 defensive All-Pros on that team. DRC, Jackrabbit, Vernon, Snacks, and Collins.

I'm happy for Spagnuolo the person. Players love him and he's a really good guy. The media will love him too. However, as a DC, he is too rigid in his schemes to be successful in today's NFL, and the statistics back that up. When he has the perfect personnel to run his defense, and everyone is on the same page, it turns out well. But anything less than perfect circumstances and he fields historically bad defenses, especially in the passing game. 

He's the DC equivalent of Jeff Fisher as a HC or Mike McCoy as an OC - he's stubborn, dated in his approach, and by and large opposing coaches have figured out his system, how to beat it, and in that vein his playcalling becomes pretty dang predictable.

Jones and Speaks should flourish, possibly Derek Nnadi too, but (and you're probably in a better position to make this evaluation - hint, hint, input requested) I'm not sure I see a LB outside of Speaks (who probably is more of a DL in Spags scheme) that is an outstanding fit in SS' defense that the Chiefs have on roster.  Maybe Dorian O'Daniel as a WILL, but I'm not sold on him having a 3-down role there just yet.

35 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

At least he's done it before and even a marginal improvement should vault them to the SB

If we assume their offense stays the same, yes. But it's hard to do. The Chiefs scored the 3rd most points in NFL history this season. 

That hire really scares the hell out of me. I'm lacking experience to judge his performances, but if 2016 is the only positive season since he won the Super Bowl, it realy scares the hell out of me. I read he's not making big adjustments, which ultimately draws a scary comparison to Sutton, so overall i'm very, very pessimistic about this hire. I just hope that Reid knows what he's doing.

Archived