Steve Spagnuolo hired as DC

kingseanjohn

14 minutes ago, jimmydee said:

3-4;4-3....mehhh. Does it really matter if we're not aggressive and creative?  I've thought for two years that our front looks more 43 than 34, but with so many packages, it really is insignificant. Aggressiveness and creativity is the key in the scheme, not the scheme itself. Spags brings some energy.....and creativity, and some aggression.  Let's see how it all shakes out.  (D Ford at DE...really?? Teams will run right at him for 4-6 yards a pop).  Next year's breakout star....O'Daniel!!!….should have played more this year, but NOOOOO, play lack luster experienced guys over some one really hungry with talent.  O;Daniel will at least play down hill.

I also think O’Daniel is going to breakout.

My biggest concern would be lining up Dee Ford and Chris Jones in front of him,  neither are typically good against the run and blockers would swallow him up.

Edited by samsel23

On 1/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, Edge said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/anthony-hitchens-14530/

Just check the contract. We can't do that due to the dead cap. I'm also convinced to give him another shot. Hitchens should be a more natural fit in a 4-3 defense than in a 3-4 defense, so with our switch it just makes sense to give him the chance to proof himself next year.

If you want to move on from one LB, it should be Ragland. I just don't see a position for him in a 4-3 defense, but obviously we wouldn't save much money by cutting him.

Hitchens might be a better fit in different D so I agree on Ragland and because I think a different scheme will fit Hitchens better.

38 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

What I gathered from this is that they desperately need help at safety. Not really earth shattering as the safety position was brutal most of the year, along with the ILB position. They got gashed in the run game, game after game.

2 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

What I gathered from this is that they desperately need help at safety. Not really earth shattering as the safety position was brutal most of the year, along with the ILB position. They got gashed in the run game, game after game.

ILB, S, CB, and offensive line to protect PM2

4 hours ago, valkrei said:

ILB, S, CB, and offensive line to protect PM2

4 hours ago, Habbsawce said:

For me, in order of importance (assuming Berry is healthy next year)

1. ILB

2. S

3. Oline

4. CB

We need DL depth and need it bad. Right now we have Jones, Nnadi, Williams, Walker, and Ivie in the interior. You could argue that Houston, Speaks, and Kpassagnon are DE. But our line doesn't look good for a transition to a 4-3.

For CB we only have Fuller, Ward, and Smith under contract. Fuller is a FA next offseason.

CB, DL, ILB, S are my top four. Don't forget that Watts will be back and was looking good before his injury. I'd be good with BPA out of those four in the first three rounds.

1 hour ago, Habbsawce said:

Wonder if DJ wants to try his hand at coaching? Wouldn't be bad to bring on to work with LB's. Not necessarily the primary coach right now, but gets some hands on experience and go from there.

DJ and Berry should be coaches

4 hours ago, Habbsawce said:

For me, in order of importance (assuming Berry is healthy next year)

1. ILB

2. S

3. Oline

4. CB

Flip those four over, ie CB-OL-S/ILB. CB is by far the most important.

OL is as important but not as urgent. A new safety would be nice but I would be willing to play another year with ILB we have. Depth at TE and RB need to be in the mix at that point.

J

I think we need to build this defense upfront. So DL or ILB would be my first need and if i think about the importance of the position and our personnel right now i would say an MLB is the top need for us in this offseason. Either we draft one or we get one in free agency. I'm not a fan of spending big money in free agency to any guys other than ours, but i would be fine to get an experienced MLB. Than we need DL depth for sure, especially if we let Bailey go, which could happen. Then i think our need for a corner is more important than a need for safety. Who knows what happens with Berry, but i liked what i saw from Sorensen, Lucas and on limited basis Watts. Nelson could be gone so we're short on corners and should grap one with our first 3 picks. O-Line is always important, but this season has shown that we have some depth on the team and we still have a guy like McKenzie who makes the transition to a guard. He can't be horrendously bad if he eated up a roster spot. He could fill a depth role and Reiter + Devey probably fill the hole Morse will leave, assuming we let him go in free ageny, which i think is likely to happen due to his concussion history. I might even say that RB is a bigger need than O-Line right now, since Ware is a free agent as well.

So for me it's:

MLB > DL > CB > S > RB > OL

11 hours ago, Edge said:

I think we need to build this defense upfront. So DL or ILB would be my first need and if i think about the importance of the position and our personnel right now i would say an MLB is the top need for us in this offseason. Either we draft one or we get one in free agency. I'm not a fan of spending big money in free agency to any guys other than ours, but i would be fine to get an experienced MLB. Than we need DL depth for sure, especially if we let Bailey go, which could happen. Then i think our need for a corner is more important than a need for safety. Who knows what happens with Berry, but i liked what i saw from Sorensen, Lucas and on limited basis Watts. Nelson could be gone so we're short on corners and should grap one with our first 3 picks. O-Line is always important, but this season has shown that we have some depth on the team and we still have a guy like McKenzie who makes the transition to a guard. He can't be horrendously bad if he eated up a roster spot. He could fill a depth role and Reiter + Devey probably fill the hole Morse will leave, assuming we let him go in free ageny, which i think is likely to happen due to his concussion history. I might even say that RB is a bigger need than O-Line right now, since Ware is a free agent as well.

So for me it's:

I’m right along with this thinking.

SAM LB, LE, and ILB  would be my top 3 areas to improve upon and get younger.  I think these are the 3 keys to Spags defense succeeding.

11 hours ago, Edge said:

So for me it's:

15 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I’m right along with this thinking.

SAM LB, LE, and ILB  would be my top 3 areas to improve upon and get younger.  I think these are the 3 keys to Spags defense succeeding.

I'm with you as well. One person I would be interested in free agency is Jordan Hicks; when healthy he is a quality run defender and coverage defender. He reminds me a lot of DJ. I would also consider trading up for Devin White in the draft if he falls past Cincinnati  at 11(NOT LIKELY but if it does happen then we need to pounce).

As you mentioned we would need improve our DL with the move to a 4-3 especially our depth as well. After Chris Jone, Brandon Speaks, Nandi, Tanoh(?), and a few others we don't have much depth. I look at Philadelphia when they won their superbowl and they had quality depth along their line; now we're not going to fix this defense in one offseason but getting quality depth would help us be a lot better than we were last season. Some depth guys I would take a look at in free agency are Shelby Harris, David Irving(high risk but high reward); In the draft, Zach Allen, Jay Furgeson, Anthony Nelson, and Dexter Lawrence are some  guys I would go after.