Using technology to eliminate poor NFL officiating

Gmen

Am I crazy?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Am I crazy?

• No. You're brilliant
    • Yes. Crazy like a fox

5 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

But how do you know if the knee touched before it crossed?

We can leave that up to the fan refs for now. Ideally you would be able to use technology and sensors to eliminate all refs. But the technology is not there yet. 

I've always wondered if they could use GPS or infrared for ball tracking.  Being able to see the ball even under a pile up.  That'll be helpful in pointing to exactly where the ball goes out of bounds on punts, if the ball goes through the uprights, crosses the endzone line (or 4th down line). Also syncing the video with ball tracking data will be key in determining where the ball is exactly. For example, upon replay, the refs can freeze to the exact moment the players knee is down.  Then view the ball tracking data to see where the ball is. But this is all dependent on the tech being precise enough to do this and I'm not sure if it has advanced enough.  I dunno.  I am very techy, but only with PCs... so this is completely outside of my expertise.

Personally, I think using fans to make calls is a terrible idea.  It just completely opens the door wide open for bias towards the more popular team.  

1 hour ago, areksoo said:

Personally, I think using fans to make calls is a terrible idea.  It just completely opens the door wide open for bias towards the more popular team.

Exactly. Unfortunately there are way too many variables at play for something like the OP suggests to work.

I still think adding 2-3 penalty challenges for each team is the way to go.

There are too many obscure rules that most people don't know. You'd never find 1000 or even 100 knowledge enough people to properly staff your proposal, for free. 

Also, yeah, the bias thing would be a problem. Maybe 99% of the time not a problem, but you'd definitely see it swing the wrong way on a controversial call. And there'd be no way to correct for that in real time. 

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Great. More technology taking jobs from hardworking people. Just what we need.

That’s a negative mentality to have. If a job can be automated, it should be automated. There is no need to have humans doing mundane jobs if robots and technology can do more effectively and efficiently. Society will just need to adapt in order to deal with the loss of jobs.

9 hours ago, Gmen said:

That’s a negative mentality to have. If a job can be automated, it should be automated. There is no need to have humans doing mundane jobs if robots and technology can do more effectively and efficiently. Society will just need to adapt in order to deal with the loss of jobs.

It’s easy for certain people to say this when they’re not being effected.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

It’s easy for certain people to say this when they’re not being effected.

Maybe a bad example, but we’re not mad at cars for displacing rickshaw pullers, are we? In a sense, we automated travel. In doing so, we actually created a TON of jobs for people. Those rickshaw pullers had opportunities to go work in the automotive industry, whether it was engineering, manufacturing, repair, sales, etc. And now those jobs are being automated as well.  And like the rickshaw drivers, people will need to adjust again. I won’t get into politics, but I think the companies displacing the workers should at least be partially held responsible for the retraining of the workforce - whether it’s directly, or through higher taxes which feed government programs for continued education. But, you can’t stifle progress because it puts certain people out of jobs.

The most obvious application of technology in sports is setup of strike zone in baseball using laser. This has been proposed many moons ago.... never happens. Human makes mistakes but that is what makes the game interesting!  

Archived