Hall of Fame Finalists 2019?

x0x

I honestly don't think Bailey is as much of a lock to go in his first year as everyone is stating. I think he is an absolute definite HOF but NFL voters are a strange bunch. 

Tony and Reed are definites but I don't think Bailey is a lock. My heart wants Atwater because he has been waiting a long time. Same for Coryell. But my guess for the final 3 would be Boselli, Hutchinson and Lynch. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, x0x said:

Typically 5 go in plus the veteran committee which doesn't include these guys.
Isaac Bruce, WR
Edgerrin James, RB
Tony Gonzalez, TE
Kevin Mawae, C/G
Alan Faneca,G
Steve Hutchinson, G
Tony Boselli,T
Champ Bailey, CB
Ty Law, CB
John Lynch, FS
Ed Reed, FS
Steve Atwater, S
Richard Seymour, DE/DT
Tom Flores, Coach
Don Coryell, Coach

Gonzalez, Reed and Bailey are essentially locks so that leaves 2 for open discussion. I think personally think Atwater finally gets in along with John Lynch.

I don't think Flores, Coryell or James have any chance this time around and of course it's doubtful more than one offensive lineman gets in. Isaac Bruce is a strong candidate I wouldn't be surprised and then with the Pats making 3 straight Super Bowls both Ty Law and Seymour could sneak in although I see them waiting a bit more.

Good lord. That is a stacked class. I would hate to have to vote on a class like this. But if I had to:
Gonzalez
Reed
Bailey

And then it gets tough. One of the three offensive linemen HAVE to get in. But how do you choose between Mawae, Faneca, Hutch and Boselli?

I go Hutch or Faneca. Probably Hutch.

And the last one, for me, is Atwater. Who shoulda been in the Hall a long time ago, IMO.

1 minute ago, Non-Issue said:

Good lord. That is a stacked class. I would hate to have to vote on a class like this. But if I had to:
Gonzalez
Reed
Bailey

And then it gets tough. One of the three offensive linemen HAVE to get in. But how do you choose between Mawae, Faneca, Hutch and Boselli?

I go Hutch or Faneca. Probably Hutch.

And the last one, for me, is Atwater. Who shoulda been in the Hall a long time ago, IMO.

The only two first team All-Decade guys from the 90s who aren't in are Atwater and LeRoy Butler. Both should be in ASAP. 

Gonzo and Reed have to be locks. No questions asked, they were HOF guys the minute they retired.

I'm iffy on Champ Bailey being a lock, but I do see him as a odds on favorite for the #3 in this group (between him and Atwater, IMO). 

If you're sending five, you should round this group out with Hutchinson, IMO.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:49 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

In no world was Leroy Butler better than Atwater.

Butler could hit, rush the passer, AND cover. 

Atwater was a 2x All-Pro with 24 ints, 6 FF (8 FR), and 5 sacks. Butler was a 4x All-Pro with 38 ints, 13 FF (10 FR), and 20.5 sacks. Even granting that Butler had roughly an extra season of games, his production smokes Atwater's. 

I wouldn't dispute Atwater being deserving of HoF consideration, but Butler was the better player by any measure and should probably go in first. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, dtait93 said:

Probably a popularity thing to be honest.

Bailey had 7 more Pro Bowl appearances than Law, and I remember on Madden Bailey always being rated like 4-5 points higher. Bailey always seemed to be in that 94-98 range, and Law always seemed to be in that 90-94 range. I don't think they were that far apart to be honest. A stat showing receptions, yards, touchdowns, and passer rating allowed would be helpful but I don't think we have that available to us.

I couldn't honestly deny that popularity isn't a factor. The HoF does lean towards popular players. But Bailey was popular because of what he did on the field. Not because of Madden ratings. If that is what you are suggesting.

To me, Bailey is a lock. And he differs from Law in that Bailey, to me, was a true shutdown corner. He was the guy, like Sanders and Revis, that you could put on an island against the leagues best receivers, and relax. He didn't get challenged a lot by opposing QBs. Which is why the bulk stats (interceptions, PDs, etc) can be a bit misleading when compared to other CBs.

Of course I am not suggesting Bailey was a shut down corner his entire career. But when he was at his best, dude shut em down. Not through scheme. But through man to man coverage.

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

There is a serious backlogging problem with the HOF. I think every single one of these guys apart from maybe Bruce should be in. 

The NFL hasn't increased the number of players getting in each year even though the sport has become immensely more popular and the league has expanded since the Hall was opened.

34 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Butler could hit, rush the passer, AND cover. 

Atwater was a 2x All-Pro with 24 ints, 6 FF (8 FR), and 5 sacks. Butler was a 4x All-Pro with 38 ints, 13 FF (10 FR), and 20.5 sacks. Even granting that Butler had roughly an extra season of games, his production smokes Atwater's. 

I wouldn't dispute Atwater being deserving of HoF consideration, but Butler was the better player by any measure and should probably go in first. 

Eh... you really cant get bogged down in the stats to make the case that Butler was the better safety or that he was more physically gifted. Atwater was used much differently than Butler. He played much of his career in the box. Almost as an extra linebacker.

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

There is a serious backlogging problem with the HOF.

The job of the HOF and their voters isn't to put players in, its to keep them out
That's how you maintain the elevated status and singular awesomeness of being elected into the Hall of Fame
Adding more players each year doesn't make it better, it makes it less exclusive

19 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The job of the HOF and their voters isn't to put players in, its to keep them out
That's how you maintain the elevated status and singular awesomeness of being elected into the Hall of Fame
Adding more players each year doesn't make it better, it makes it less exclusive

Meh. And? 

19 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Eh... you really cant get bogged down in the stats to make the case that Butler was the better safety or that he was more physically gifted. Atwater was used much differently than Butler. He played much of his career in the box. Almost as an extra linebacker.

But Butler WAS more physically gifted. He started out as a very good CB before he became an All-Pro S two years in. Atwater was very good as he was, but he simply didn't have the versatility Butler did. He wouldn't have been used the same way because it would have ended poorly. 

Archived