Hall of Fame Finalists 2019?

x0x

8 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

It’s interesting that Ike Bruce is getting no love. In a season where there was a lot of talk here that Frank Gore has compiled enough stats to warrant the Hall the guy who retired with only Jerry Rice ahead of him isn’t given any love.

He'll get in like Tim Brown.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:21 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

No he was not. Holt was always the better player and much more consistent. 

Bruce was only better by name and that was only because Bruce had been there much longer and as time went on, it had become one of those things where if you said otherwise you were just a hater.

No, he's right. Bruce was better. 

1. People don't even realize Holt did next to nothing in their Super Bowl winning season. Bruce was the big receiving weapon/clear cut #1 on that team. Holt even padded his unremarkable season numbers in a meaningless season finale loss against the Eagles. Bruce also set the tone with his opening TD vs. the Vikings in the divisional playoffs and caught the huge game winning TD vs. the Titans in the SB. 

2. Bruce was better than Holt in every area of the game. Both of them were utter cowards/complete non-factor sliding ******* after the catch, but Bruce was up there with anyone to have ever played as a route runner. He could have you X-raying your ankles after he comes out of his breaks. The same can not be said for Holt, who couldn't gain actual separation from a decent corner one-on-one to save his life. His catches were mostly either digs hitting the holes in zone (Coryell tree system crap), or out patterns where the corner was draped all over him and the QB made a throw into a tight window. 

3. Bruce succeeded as a premier receiver in the mid-90s before the Martz system. Holt went down the toilet after Martz left. 

On 1/29/2019 at 2:43 PM, Shanedorf said:

The job of the HOF and their voters isn't to put players in, its to keep them out
That's how you maintain the elevated status and singular awesomeness of being elected into the Hall of Fame
Adding more players each year doesn't make it better, it makes it less exclusive

Then they shouldn't have a minimum or maximum number of players they allow in each year, and they shouldn't let people go up for a vote more than once.

You are either HOF material or you aren't.

22 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

But Butler WAS more physically gifted. He started out as a very good CB before he became an All-Pro S two years in. Atwater was very good as he was, but he simply didn't have the versatility Butler did. He wouldn't have been used the same way because it would have ended poorly. 

I don't think that's true at all. Atwater was an incredible physical specimen. You have to be if you are going to be the teams enforcer and set the tone and pace for the defense every sunday.

I think you are assuming that he was used the way he was due to limitations. When the truth was he was used the way he was because that was the scheme and he could fulfill the role like few safeties could. He had rare physical abilities for the position. And it was taken advantage of. But in college he was used more traditionally and averaged 4 interceptions a season. Who knows how many more he could have had at the pro level if the was used more traditionally.

20 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

It's really interesting to me that people seem to be leaning toward Hutchinson getting in over Faneca when choosing between the two. Faneca had an extra all-pro season, 2 more probowl seasons and won a SB.

I don't know just how much winning a SB really plays into an offensive lineman's case for enshrinement. I'm not saying it's ignored entirely. But if I was a voter, I am not attaching a ton of importance to a SB win for an offensive guard.

Me? I am going to remember Steve Hutchinson road grading in front of a record breaking Shaun Alexander more. And assign more significance to that.

But that is me. It's not like the argument for any of the offensive linemen over the other isn't razor thin. They all deserve to be in. And they all have very strong arguments. I mean I don't think Kevin Mawae has even been mentioned in this thread. And the dude was stupendous.

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

It's unfortunate Zach Thomas didn't make the cut again. To me, he was right up there with Ray Lewis as an amazing middle linebacker. Brian Urlacher is also in. Thomas should be. Hopefully, his name doesn't get pushed aside as time goes by. 

If Urlacher is in, Z Thomas should be in.

But Randy Gradishar should be in before either of them.

13 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

I don't know just how much winning a SB really plays into an offensive lineman's case for enshrinement. I'm not saying it's ignored entirely. But if I was a voter, I am not attaching a ton of importance to a SB win for an offensive guard.

Me? I am going to remember Steve Hutchinson road grading in front of a record breaking Shaun Alexander more. And assign more significance to that.

But that is me. It's not like the argument for any of the offensive linemen over the other isn't razor thin. They all deserve to be in. And they all have very strong arguments. I mean I don't think Kevin Mawae has even been mentioned in this thread. And the dude was stupendous.

More of the point was the all-pro and pro bowl selections. Only 2 of Hutchinson's 5 all-pro selections were during Faneca's prime also. All 6 of Faneca's all-pro selections were during Hutchinson's career (and at least 4 during Hutchinson's prime). Hutchinson will be remembered for clearing the way for Alexander in his MVP season, but I also don't think he was ever at that level in another year of his career.

One of the things that is amazing about Faneca also was that he could and did play LT at a high level. He filled in at LT in 2003 for 10 games of the season and played very well. He was second team all-pro in a year that he moved from LG to LT.

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Then they shouldn't have a minimum or maximum number of players they allow in each year, and they shouldn't let people go up for a vote more than once.

You are either HOF material or you aren't.

Write em a letter and tell them they are doing it wrong. Then come back and let us know what they say
Joe Horrigan, who has been Exec Director for 42 years is stepping down and there might be change on the horizon

“I never say there’s only one way we can look at things,” Horrigan said. “I always say you should keep an open mind.

“For instance, there’s no magical number (of voters). We have 48 now. That may be too much or maybe it’s not enough.
I’ll leave that to my successor. There are a lot of things to look at.”

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20190127/pro-football-hall-of-fame-is-losing-legend-in-joe-horrigan

Kvetching about it here accomplishes nothing. If you think you have a better way, tell them.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:21 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

No he was not. Holt was always the better player and much more consistent. 

Bruce was only better by name and that was only because Bruce had been there much longer and as time went on, it had become one of those things where if you said otherwise you were just a hater.

You're ignoring what Isaac did before Holt got there. He had one of the most prolific seasons in NFL history, and did it with poor QB play.

Torry was better for a few years, but Ike had the longevity over Torry and a longer prime. He was better overall.

And I don't understand why people keep saying Bailey is a lock when Isaac should get in over him IMO.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:47 AM, BroncoBruin said:

There is a serious backlogging problem with the HOF. I think every single one of these guys apart from maybe Bruce should be in. 

Huh?

Bruce is more deserving than almost every guy on that list. Bruce is severely underrated these days.

Archived