Owens

Moss

Bruce

Gonzalez

Brown

Steve Smith

Marvin Harrison

Reggie Wayne

Rice, Owens, Moss, Harrison are in. Fitz will be first ballot. Gonzalez is someone people are saying will be in this year (which I agree with).

Now, Bruce does trail all those guys in TDs, but he's still 12th all time right now. And Bruce has the best play by a WR in Super Bowl history, considering the play as well as time and score. I don't see a logical argument to say he shouldn't be in the Hall.

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Huh?

Bruce is more deserving than almost every guy on that list. Bruce is severely underrated these days.

He was an average receiver his entire career. Played 16 years and didn't even amass 100 touchdowns. Only 7 of those years did he get over 1,000 yards. Holt played 11 seasons and has 8 years over a 1,000 yards and 74 TD's. Holt was in another tier on the football field.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, VanS said:

How come?  Issac Bruce was the better player. 

Comparing their seasons up until they turned 32, not including thier rookie year, giving a good comparison of their "prime", as in, before they got too old to be relevant. At 33 Holt was sent to the Jags and we don't really need to consider that necessarily, we have:

Bruce: 756 catches, 11,481 yards, 71 touchdowns

Holt: 817 catches, 11,872 yards, 68 touchdowns

with Holt playing 2 more games in the span. Seems like a wash to me. 

13 hours ago, TENINCH said:

He was an average receiver his entire career. Played 16 years and didn't even amass 100 touchdowns. Only 7 of those years did he get over 1,000 yards. Holt played 11 seasons and has 8 years over a 1,000 yards and 74 TD's. Holt was in another tier on the football field.

Oh come on that's not true at all. An average receiver doesn't put up 1700+ yards and 13 touchdowns with Chris Miller throwing the rock. :)

Reggie Wayne doesn't have 100 touchdowns with Manning and Luck as his quarterbacks his entire career. Andre Reed doesn't have 100 touchdowns, and only broke 1000 yards four times with Kelly at quarterback most of his career. He's in the HOF, and Wayne will probably be as well. James Lofton is another guy with 75 touchdowns in the zillion years he played. HOF guy. Andre Johnson has 70 touchdowns in 14 years. Was he average? You can't just chalk it up to statistics, and awards. At best that approach is half the battle. 

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh come on that's not true at all. An average receiver doesn't put up 1700+ yards and 13 touchdowns with Chris Miller throwing the rock. :)

Reggie Wayne doesn't have 100 touchdowns with Manning and Luck as his quarterbacks his entire career. Andre Reed doesn't have 100 touchdowns, and only broke 1000 yards four times with Kelly at quarterback most of his career. He's in the HOF, and Wayne will probably be as well. James Lofton is another guy with 75 touchdowns in the zillion years he played. HOF guy. Andre Johnson has 70 touchdowns in 14 years. Was he average? You can't just chalk it up to statistics, and awards. At best that approach is half the battle. 

Is Reggie Wayne a hall of famer? Not even sure he's better than Brandon Marshall who definitely has 0 chance of getting in to the Hall.

53 minutes ago, Malik said:

Is Reggie Wayne a hall of famer? Not even sure he's better than Brandon Marshall who definitely has 0 chance of getting in to the Hall.

Whether Wayne is a hall of famer or not is irrelevant to the point being made. Reggie Wayne was far from an average WR.

And, to the point, Isaac Bruce is far from an average WR. Anyone suggesting otherwise has either never watched Bruce or has a different definition of "average" than the rest of the world.

13 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Wayne had Marvin Harrison playing across from him. I wouldn't consider Reed or Lofton HOF'ers but the writers put them there. Holt put up the 1700 yards. Not Bruce.

I didn't feel like getting into a debate about this so I was just going to let it go. I keep seeing people say how I'm wrong and Bruce was better than Holt but yet nobody has stated why they think that. All I have read is .....he was better.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:03 PM, FrantikRam said:

You're ignoring what Isaac did before Holt got there. He had one of the most prolific seasons in NFL history, and did it with poor QB play.

Torry was better for a few years, but Ike had the longevity over Torry and a longer prime. He was better overall.

And I don't understand why people keep saying Bailey is a lock when Isaac should get in over him IMO.

So you're basically saying you think Bruce was better because he played longer??? I wonder where you would rank Calvin Johnson then...

Let's not forget Holt damn near matched Bruce's '95 season in 2003 while playing alongside a broken down 30 year old Faulk and an off-year by Bulger (22INT) enroute to his 2nd 1600+ yard season -- something Bruce did only one time. He fell short of Bruce by just 2 catches, 85 yards and 1 TD and did so with a higher catch rate (64%) and 1 less fumble. He did so during a year where Bruce had less than only 981 yards, 5 TD's and just 58% catch rate.

Not too mention Holt in 2005 still put up 1300+ yards, 10TD with a 64% catch rate with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jamie Martin at QB for 8 games during a season in which Bruce played just 11 games and had a measly 500 yards, 3TDs and a 51% catch rate.

Bruce has the longevity and both of them deserve to be in the hall eventually.  But no matter how you choose to compare them, Holt's prime was superior and far more consistent. 

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

dammit....I didn't even see that. Still don't think he was anything special. He had a couple good seasons but was never better than Holt.

He wasn't better than Holt, no. But he was great in his own right. He was a tough cover for any DB and without his versatility Martz's system would not have been as effective.

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

dammit....I didn't even see that. Still don't think he was anything special. He had a couple good seasons but was never better than Holt.

Just out ofcuriosity, how old were you in 1999?  Not trying to be offensive, but it definitely seems like you are speaking from a place of ignorance  (meaning dont have the first hand knowledge).  There was a time when Bruce was better, there was a time when Holt was better.  Theres a lot of perspective involved here.

Archived