Who is getting cut this off-season?

ET80

Every season, we see teams have to make decisions on guys who are on expensive contracts, and the FA market starts to buzz once these guys are released. 

Who are the guys on your team that might create that sort of buzz?

The Texans aren't really strapped for cash, but I could see Lamar Miller (and his $7mm cap hit) released. He wouldn't create a "buzz" but could be a good fit for someone looking for a speed element to add to their backfield.

If Jadevion Clowney and the Texans can negotiate a long term deal early enough, I could also see OLB Whitney Mercilius released - he's a $7mm cap hit as well, but his production has been on a steady decline since his breakout year in 2015. His value is pretty good given his contract, so he actually might be traded vs cut - but he'd be a hot commodity nonetheless.

What about your team?

Jeff Heath may not be back. Depends.

I could see us restructuring Tyrone Crawford's deal or just keeping him on. We have enough cap space with or without a restructure. 

Sean Lee most likely won't be back. Rumor is he may retire though. 

Not sure I see us re-signing Beasley after his most recent comments.

Main Broncos candidates, along with my % chance of them being cut:

Case Keenum, QB (cap $21 mill, dead cap $10 mill) - 10%

Sure, we save $11 mill against the cap by cutting Case but we don't have anything resembling another QB option right now. This would obviously change in an instant if we signed Flacco or Foles, but I personally can't see that. If we were to go QB in round 1 then Case will almost definitely be competing with them for the starting QB job.

Emmanuel Sanders, WR (cap hit $12.9 mill, dead cap $2.7 mill) - 50%

He's coming off a terrible injury for a WR (torn achilles) and may not be ready for the start of next year, but I actually think we will keep hold of him. We're so thin at WR, especially veterans and he's an unbelievable route runner from a precision standpoint. Still, it's going to be a tough decision for Elway.

Derek Wolfe, DE/DT (cap hit $10.9 mill, dead cap $2.3 mill) - 40%

After 8 games I would have put this % at about 90% rather than 40%. However, Wolfe started to become a lot more disruptive as the season went on. A lot will depend on how much we decide to pay Shelby Harris and whether we retain Zach Kerr. If we have to spend any more than $6 mill for next year for the two combined, Wolfe could be on his way out.

Ron Leary, OG (cap hit $9.2 mill, dead cap $1.75 mill) - 100%

Also tore his Achilles but was playing poorly for the injury. Not even close to worth the money and despite the below average play of his replacement(s) after he went down, the drop off wasn't anywhere near big enough for the difference in salary. Goner. 

Brandon Marshall, LB (cap hit $9 mill, dead cap $4 mill) - 85%

The way he's been talking, you can tell he thinks he's on his way out. Even though the dead cap to cap hit % is high, the fact is we can get someone in for a lot less than the $5 mill of savings to play at the level he did last year. He played a LOT lighter than previous years (reports of him at 230lbs) and he just couldn't hold up in the run game and he couldn't stay on the field (injured for most of the year). I think he's going to be another of the 'old guard' to leave this offseason.

Darian Stewart, S (cap hit $6.4 mill, dead cap $2.8 mill) - 80%

Easily his worst year as a Bronco. He's been a staple of our Defensive Backfield since he arrived but he looked washed up last season. He's never, ever been a guy that missed tackles but I think his diminishing athleticism lead to his missed tackles last year, and it's the same reason you can't trust him in man coverage at all. I really like Will Parks (on a cheap, rookie deal) and I think he's going to get the job with Stewart being cut.

I think of all of these candidates, Leary is the only one who would consider a paycut. The rest of the guys, in my opinion, would back themselves on the open market and let's face it - this Broncos team doesn't have much to offer other than money right now.

WR DeSean Jackson saves us $10M. We should've traded him at the deadline, since there are rumors we had multiple offers and turned them all down.

DE Vinny Curry saves us $8M.

DE William Gholston saves us $3.75M.

P Bryan Anger saves us $3M.

OL Evan Smith saves us $2M.

None have any dead money. Would put us at ~$39M in cap space.

Not a cut, but there are plenty of rumors and cryptic messages from Gerald McCoy that he's likely to be traded. He's making $13 and we can cut/trade him with no penalty.

TE Cameron Brate is another option for trade that would save us $7M. There are rumblings that he can be had as well. Again, with zero dead money.

So there's a chance that we can go from ~$12M in cap space to ~$59M really quickly.

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hmm. I'd probably be all over this, given the dire need at the position...

There is also some speculation, that the front office would consider trading him to a contender. As a 1-year option his salary isn't that hefty. With Baltimore though, he has had injuries and suspension the last couple of years, so we have basically payed him top CB money for 10 games of good play. We also have some young talent at the position and a veteran in Carr who is always healthy and very consistent.

The Jaguars have a bunch that are likely.

• Malik Jackson
  • Jermey Parnell
  • Carlos Hyde
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Marcel Dareus

Listed in order of likelihood imo. Parnell and Hyde aren’t going to offer much for anyone that signs them. I think only one of Jackson and Dareus gets cut, and think it’s 90% likely that it’s Jackson, but I guess it’s possible it goes the other way, and maybe even more possible they go full stupid and cut both.

It’s also possible A.J. Bouye gets let go as a cap casualty, but I think that’s more likely to happen after next season than now. 

58 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Not a cut, but there are plenty of rumors and cryptic messages from Gerald McCoy that he's likely to be traded. He's making $13 and we can cut/trade him with no penalty.

TE Cameron Brate is another option for trade that would save us $7M. There are rumblings that he can be had as well. Again, with zero dead money.

Pats will take both for a 2nd.

19 minutes ago, pwny said:

It’s also possible A.J. Bouye gets let go as a cap casualty, but I think that’s more likely to happen after next season than now. 

Oh, this would make me happy. Bring him back if he is...

Archived