Do we really need a receiver? And if so what skillset do we need?

brownie man

Do we really need to place WR as a priority?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. What type of skillset should we target?

• Deep Threat stretch the defense
    • Quick and agile type that can create seperation
    • 6'3 or Taller possession type

Ever since someone on here posted a video of Northern Arizona WR Emmanuel Butler, I've been enamored with the idea of taking a chance on him late. He seems to excel at making contested catches, granted against weak competition. Considering he's slated to go real late or undrafted, I love the thought of using one of our late rounders to see if those traits translate. Would give us some more size for redzone opportunities as well. Combined with Baker's willingness to give our receivers a chance to go get the football, the combination could be  (probably wouldn't, but could be) dangerous.

Also, won't we have Derrick Willies back in camp too?

Calloway, Landry, Perriman, Higgins and Willies. Looks scary on paper, though Baker made it work to finish the year out.

I think draft someone in the mid rounds with good hands? Or grab someone later. Worry more about TE and the front seven.

33 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Worry more about TE and the front seven.

Agree.

Don't understand a significant part of the forum's fixation w/WR.

NE pretty much has shown the world that you do not need to have a super WR to win.

Once you have the QB and some skilled players you just need better coaching (ownership?) and a team that plays on the same page.

24 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Agree.

Don't understand a significant part of the forum's fixation w/WR.

NE pretty much has shown the world that you do not need to have a super WR to win.

Once you have the QB and some skilled players you just need better coaching (ownership?) and a team that plays on the same page.

Rams don't really have an elite WR either. Brandin Cooks is a fringe 1/2 type with deep speed. Then you have the other two teams who lost New Orleans has Michael Thomas and then a bunch of hot garbage. Kansas City has Tyreek Hill and they at least have Travis Kelce to help but the rest of the WRs are JAGS including Watkins who has been on 3 teams without hardly making a ripple let alone big waves.

You don't need to be 5-6 guy deep like many on here believe and you don't need an elite 1 like so many on here believe. If you have 3 or 4 guy who can play well then you will be set. I really like Landry, Calloway and Higgins. Perriman is just icing on the cake plus we have Njoku who seems to be a jump ball/contested catch extraordinaire and Duke Johnson. I think we need to upgrade on Darren Fells and Seth DeValve and the weapons for Baker Mayfield are in a damn fine place.

You can be content with an average WR group if you so choose.

Personally, I am always looking for ways to improve in every facet.

Certainly there's no denying that there is room for improvement with these receivers. Match em up with any above average group in the NFL. IMO, the only reason they even warrant being in the same sentence with them is primarily because of Baker and Kitchens. If anything, these receivers held them back. 

Yes, we saw improvement. Yes, there's reason to believe the progress will continue. 

But, no, we cannot say unequivocally that this Wide Receiver position is set.

"Superfluous fundamentalism," said the sensationalist of Saskatchewan...

...And they were all left dumbfounded..."The hell he talkin' bout?"

29 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

You can be content with an average WR group if you so choose.

Personally, I am always looking for ways to improve in every facet.

Certainly there's no denying that there is room for improvement with these receivers. Match em up with any above average group in the NFL. IMO, the only reason they even warrant being in the same sentence with them is primarily because of Baker and Kitchens. If anything, these receivers held them back. 

Yes, we saw improvement. Yes, there's reason to believe the progress will continue. 

But, no, we cannot say unequivocally that this Wide Receiver position is set.

"Superfluous fundamentalism," said the sensationalist of Saskatchewan...

...And they were all left dumbfounded..."The hell he talkin' bout?"

In my very own opinion, any position can be improved on. 

Archived