Do we really need a receiver? And if so what skillset do we need?

brownie man

Do we really need to place WR as a priority?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. What type of skillset should we target?

• Deep Threat stretch the defense
    • Quick and agile type that can create seperation
    • 6'3 or Taller possession type

We can stand to improve at every position except QB, RB, FS and SS.  You can't just say we need to take a WR because it could use improving. There are so many other factors and it wouldn't even boil down to straight BPA. You have to ask how much does it improve the overall team? Maybe D.K. Metcalf, Christian Wilkins, Jerry Tillery and Brian Burns are all on the board and D.K Metcalf is the highest rated player(Just throwing numbers 6.7)  but he is barely rated high than Wilkins(6.6), Tillery(6.6) and Burns(6.5) but with Landry, Calloway, Higgins and Perriman already on the team does Metcalf increase the overall value of the team more than a Wilkins, Tillery or Burns knowing that we have Ogbah, Smith, Coley, Zettel and Price playing in those starting roles? Absolutely not. Scratch Metcalf and then look at DE vs DT and again similar grades but Ogbah and Smith are clearly better than Coley and Price, so again scratch Burns. Now you decide what style DT you like between two similarly graded players. 

Now if we get to 17 and Metcalf is a 7.4 to Wilkins, Tillery and Burns around a 6.5 grade then you pull the trigger on Metcalf and look to other ways(trade, trade up in draft, who might be there in 2nd) to upgrade the area of weakness.

I am all for BPA and against filling needs to fill needs but it is much more complicated than simply BPA and its much more complicated than well WR can be improved and this guy is really good so we are taking a WR.

53 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

You can be content with an average WR group if you so choose.

Personally, I am always looking for ways to improve in every facet.

Certainly there's no denying that there is room for improvement with these receivers. Match em up with any above average group in the NFL. IMO, the only reason they even warrant being in the same sentence with them is primarily because of Baker and Kitchens. If anything, these receivers held them back. 

Yes, we saw improvement. Yes, there's reason to believe the progress will continue. 

But, no, we cannot say unequivocally that this Wide Receiver position is set.

"Superfluous fundamentalism," said the sensationalist of Saskatchewan...

...And they were all left dumbfounded..."The hell he talkin' bout?"

Well obviously we all want improvement. It's just that resources may be better spent in other areas. I'd imagine that we'll draft a receiver (mid-late, bigger needs). Once we're paying Baker then no way will it be a good idea to pay multiple high priced receivers. Look for good value in FA and mid-late draft. Baker'll take care of the rest.

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

You can be content with an average WR group if you so choose.

Personally, I am always looking for ways to improve in every facet.

Certainly there's no denying that there is room for improvement with these receivers. Match em up with any above average group in the NFL. IMO, the only reason they even warrant being in the same sentence with them is primarily because of Baker and Kitchens. If anything, these receivers held them back. 

Yes, we saw improvement. Yes, there's reason to believe the progress will continue. 

But, no, we cannot say unequivocally that this Wide Receiver position is set.

"Superfluous fundamentalism," said the sensationalist of Saskatchewan...

...And they were all left dumbfounded..."The hell he talkin' bout?"

This is exactly how I feel.  All it takes is one of our receivers getting injured before the sky falls in here.  We might as well be better than last year, eh. 

Also, side note, but I believe the conversation about Corbett being o-line overkill is akin to the wide receiver conversation being had right now; if any starter on the offensive line got injured and we didn't have Corbett--this is of course assuming that he will play up to at least close to his draft slot--I could see the panic setting in quickly among fans.

For that reason, I hope we add at least a WR and TE this off-season.

*edit: By the way, Hakeem Butler has a little Megatron in him.*

29 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

We can stand to improve at every position except QB, RB, FS and SS.  You can't just say we need to take a WR because it could use improving. There are so many other factors and it wouldn't even boil down to straight BPA. You have to ask how much does it improve the overall team? Maybe D.K. Metcalf, Christian Wilkins, Jerry Tillery and Brian Burns are all on the board and D.K Metcalf is the highest rated player(Just throwing numbers 6.7)  but he is barely rated high than Wilkins(6.6), Tillery(6.6) and Burns(6.5) but with Landry, Calloway, Higgins and Perriman already on the team does Metcalf increase the overall value of the team more than a Wilkins, Tillery or Burns knowing that we have Ogbah, Smith, Coley, Zettel and Price playing in those starting roles? Absolutely not. Scratch Metcalf and then look at DE vs DT and again similar grades but Ogbah and Smith are clearly better than Coley and Price, so again scratch Burns. Now you decide what style DT you like between two similarly graded players. 

Now if we get to 17 and Metcalf is a 7.4 to Wilkins, Tillery and Burns around a 6.5 grade then you pull the trigger on Metcalf and look to other ways(trade, trade up in draft, who might be there in 2nd) to upgrade the area of weakness.

I am all for BPA and against filling needs to fill needs but it is much more complicated than simply BPA and its much more complicated than well WR can be improved and this guy is really good so we are taking a WR.

To specify, one area that I'd love to see is a big target who can excel with contested catches. Ideally, around 6'3" with enough athleticism to attract Dorsey. I think a guy who can make the 50-50 balls seem more like 75-25 balls could have a monumental impact on this offense. We've seen Njoku do it a few times, Perriman managed to pull it off once. 

Gimme a guy who I can feel confident about making those plays any time the ball is in the air. I think that's the biggest dimension this offense is lacking. 

I think another speedster is an option, but between Callaway and Perriman, I'm not sure that can bring as much. I could still see it happening if the value is right, as every receiver in this draft is unique to our guys in one way or another.

EDIT - For the record, I don't see a receiver being taken in round 1 under any circumstances.

It'd be nice if a guy was one of those playmakers.

I'd like to wait until round 3 where I believe there will be some value having fallen.  Whoever is available of DK Metcalf, Kelvin Harmon, N'Keal Harry, Marquise Brown, Hakeem Butler, Deebo Samuel, David Sills V, AJ Brown and Andy Isabella would be who I'd grab there.  On day three, I'd look at guys like Stanley Morgan Jr., Olamide Zaccheus (who I'd almost grab in round 3, but I think we could wait), Emmanuel Hall, Jaylen Smith, Demarkus Lodge, Tyrie Cleveland, Hunter Renfrow, Parris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Riley Ridley.

29 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It'd be nice if a guy was one of those playmakers.

I'd like to wait until round 3 where I believe there will be some value having fallen.  Whoever is available of DK Metcalf, Kelvin Harmon, N'Keal Harry, Marquise Brown, Hakeem Butler, Deebo Samuel, David Sills V, AJ Brown and Andy Isabella would be who I'd grab there.  On day three, I'd look at guys like Stanley Morgan Jr., Olamide Zaccheus (who I'd almost grab in round 3, but I think we could wait), Emmanuel Hall, Jaylen Smith, Demarkus Lodge, Tyrie Cleveland, Hunter Renfrow, Parris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Riley Ridley.

N'Keal Harry - Arizona State
D.K. Metcalf - Mississippi State
Marquise Brown - Oklahoma
Antonie Wesley - Texas Tech
Hakeem Butler - Iowa State
J.J. Arcega Whiteside - Stanford
Emmanuel Hall - Missouri
Jalen Hurd - Baylor
A.J. Brown - Mississippi 
Lil'Jordan Humphrey - Texas
Deebo Samuels - South Carolina
Parris Campbell - Ohio State
Preston Williams - Colorado State
Emmanuel Butler - Northern Arizona
Alex Wesley - Northern Colorado 
Andy Isabella - Massachusetts
Stanley Morgan - Nebraska
Riley Ridley - Georgia
Jamarious Way -  Southern Alabama
Penny Hart - Georgia State
Gary Jennings - West Virginia
Jaylen Smith - Louisville
Hunter Renfrow - Clemson

DeMarkus Lodge - Mississippi
Ryan Davis - Auburn
Keesean Johnson - Fresno State
David Sills - West Viginia
Anthony Johnson - Buffalo 
Olamide Zaccheaus - Virginia
Tyre Brady - Marshall
Cody Thompson - Toledo
Anthony Ratliff-Williams - North Carolina
Travis Fulgham - Old Dominion
Jon'Vea Johnson - Toledo
Xavier Ubosi- UAB
Greg Dorth - Wake Forest
Jakobi Meyers - North Carolina State
John Ursua - Hawaii
Dionte Johnson - Toledo
James Gardner - Miami(Oh)
Darius Slayton - Auburn
Dillon Mitchell - Oregon
Mecole Hardman Jr. - Georgia
Dredrick Snelson - UCF
Jalen Guyton - North Texas
Miles Boykin - Notre Dame
Keelan Doss - UC Davis
Terry McLaurin - Ohio State

That is 50 guys who have a legit chance of being drafted. I don't think any of them are elite WRs I think there are a lot of 3rd round talents and a boat load of 4th/5th round type guys but there are certainly a huge pool of draftable WRs this year and like you I believe we can afford to wait until at least the 3rd. Over the last 10 years there is an average of 31.4 WRs draft per year and the most ever way 37 in 2003. If we can draft the 25th and 35th best in this bunch I think its a great toss at the dart board.

***Before anyone flips out, those are NOT rankings of any kind. It is just a list and its mostly in the order as I was learning/reading/watching these guys. NOT RANKINGS***

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

This is exactly how I feel.  All it takes is one of our receivers getting injured before the sky falls in here.  We might as well be better than last year, eh. 

Also, side note, but I believe the conversation about Corbett being o-line overkill is akin to the wide receiver conversation being had right now; if any starter on the offensive line got injured and we didn't have Corbett--this is of course assuming that he will play up to at least close to his draft slot--I could see the panic setting in quickly among fans.

For that reason, I hope we add at least a WR and TE this off-season.

*edit: By the way, Hakeem Butler has a little Megatron in him.*

Cool. Let's get at least a little bit of Megatron

The WR's I like most so far, are not in order, just who I'd like to see what they do at the combine

N'keal Harry

Hakeem Butler 

A.J Brown

Lil'Jordan Humphrey 

Parris Campbell

Riley Ridley

Terry McLaurin

Cody Thompson 

I really like Humphrey a lot from what I've seen so far and I think he might be a steal in the 4th and I also like Terry McLaurin, that kid is a burner and has better then average hands. 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, brownie man said:

Callaway- Young and fast but 4.4 fast not 4.3 fast is he really a true deep threat?

He most certainly IS a deep threat. He's roasted several very good players deep this season. A few missed throws took massive long TD's off the board. And one was a penalty, IIRC.

We don't NEED a WR. I'd LIKE to add another big physical WR that can dominate in the red zone. Whether that be a TE or a WR, doesn't matter. Some receiving presence that can pull down contested balls and moss smaller corners.

Archived