Do we really need a receiver? And if so what skillset do we need?

brownie man

Do we really need to place WR as a priority?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. What type of skillset should we target?

• Deep Threat stretch the defense
    • Quick and agile type that can create seperation
    • 6'3 or Taller possession type

Y’all acting like we don’t need a receiver because FA Breshad Perriman didn’t drop every other pass and Higgins looked competent are killing me.

I’m not saying it’s a dire need, but we definitely could use an upgrade (or at least competition) for guys like Ratley and Willies.

I feel we have a bunch of guys who are really good in some areas and deficient in others. I'd love to see am all around wr. A true no 1 would be amazing but a player on the level of courtland sutton or calvin ridley could really excel with baker and the other players we have. Perhaps an undersized player like a hilton or another callaway may be there in round 2 or 3 as well. 

Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Are TEs Better Than WRs in 2019 Draft?

Where can I find a good wide receiver for my favorite team?

"Oof. The 2020 draft, probably," he said.

And that's how most NFL evaluators feel about the upcoming class of wide receivers.

There are names that you will recognize. D.K. Metcalf (Ole Miss) and N'Keal Harry (Arizona State) have already announced they will enter the upcoming draft. Marquise Brown (Oklahoma) and A.J. Brown (Ole Miss) are expected by evaluators to do the same once their seasons end. Even adding in the two Browns, NC State's Kelvin Harmon and a Texas Longhorn Lil'Jordan Humphrey; the belief is that this wide receiver class is a bad one.

Teams looking for help in the passing game may turn their attention from wide receivers to tight ends in this year's draft.

While no wide receiver carries a top-20 grade on my draft board, Iowa's Noah Fant sits in the top 15 with Alabama's Irv Smith Jr., Iowa's T.J. Hockenson and Stanford's Kaden Smith all also projected as top-40 players. There isn't a game-changing athlete like O.J. Howard in this group—none of these players will ever line up consistently outside the hashes—but there is a unique collection of talented pass-catchers with versatility to dominate up the seams and sometimes in the slot.

Given the dominance of Zach Ertz—who is on pace to shatter the NFL's single-season tight end reception record—as well as the successes of Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce and others—it makes sense that offensive coordinators needing more pass-catchers would look to this year's tight end class.

"When it's all said and done, in the next four years, I'll bet you this tight end class is better than the receivers," said one area scout. I'd follow that bet.

I disagree with that characterization of the WR class. There is no slam dunk, top 15 type, I get that. But I think that's disguising the crazy depth in the 15-60 range. This is a BAD year to need a true, top 10 in the league type WR. It's not a bad year to need a #2 type with a specific skill set (size, speed, quickness, etc.).

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Y’all acting like we don’t need a receiver because FA Breshad Perriman didn’t drop every other pass and Higgins looked competent are killing me.

I’m not saying it’s a dire need, but we definitely could use an upgrade (or at least competition) for guys like Ratley and Willies.

Exactly, the Browns currently have 3 legit WRs. Jarvis Calloway and Higgins. Everyone else shouldn’t be counted on or truly have a roster space locked up. 

I don’t want to see them reach for a WR in the draft but I wouldn’t be upset if they drafted one. I would be fine signing a guy or two or trading for one. 

This group can be improved but I just wouldn’t go crazy, unless they trade for a go and the price isn’t too much

12 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I disagree with that characterization of the WR class. There is no slam dunk, top 15 type, I get that. But I think that's disguising the crazy depth in the 15-60 range. This is a BAD year to need a true, top 10 in the league type WR. It's not a bad year to need a #2 type with a specific skill set (size, speed, quickness, etc.).

Totally agree. This class does have the big sexy name of a WR1. There is no Jones, Green, Watkins, or any guy like that but if you want to a legit #2-3-4 type WR, you can. I think a WR or two could turn into a legit #1 if they get into the right situations but there isn’t a bonafide stud in this class

Archived