Pre-Super Bowl Mock

warfelg

So I slow move some of my mocks, because I like to really have some research done.  We're past the senior bowl now, so got a little more info to go off of.  So I mentioned in another thread, that we need to make a splash, so I think this is very splash worthy.

TRADES:

~ Antonio Brown and 3rd to Oakland Raiders for 1-24, 3-66, 2020 2nd (Bears Pick)

~1-20 and 2020 3rd to Washington Redskins for 1-15

~3-66 to Atlanta Falcons for 3-79 and 2020 6th

DRAFT:

1-15: De'Andre Baker CB Georgia - Here's a great cornerback at this pick.  I personally think he's the best CB in this class, and being able to get him at 15 because of all the teams that will be picking edge guys and QB's, will be a steal.

1-20: Montez Sweat DE/OLB Mississippi State - There's a clear a certain reason I like this guy: We are playing more 2-4-5 than ever before.  One of our OLB's have got to be more DE like than OLB like, and be able to set and hold an edge.  Sweat is a guy to do that as well as pin the ears back and get to the QB.

2-52: Germaine Pratt LB NC State:  Pratt is a former safety that converted to LB for NC State.  His speed and coverage ability from the LB spot is absolutely stunning.  Against the run, he will tend to get lost in the shuffle.  Here's the guy I prefer at ILB and a guy that we can wait to get.

3-79: Edwin Alexander NT LSU - Edwin is a BIG boy and knows how to EAT up blockers.  In the 3rd, what he allows us to do is use Hargrave as a DE/DT sub guy as opposed to putting it on him to play NT down to down.  We can also roll out some different 2-4-5 sub groups with Alexander out there.

4-105: Devin Sills V WR West Virginia - I am high on this guy for us.  Doesn't have elite speed, but he's an amazing long strider who can get yards.  Add on that he's a good route runner, strong hands, and has great body control.  I think at this point of the draft he's a steal for us.

6-194: Kahale Warring TE San Diego State - Good athlete, good size.  More a pass catcher than a blocker, but willing.  Really raw, only started playing football 5 years ago.

7-221: Jordan Scarlett RB Florida - Caught up in the same scheme as Antonio Callaway, Scarlett was suspended all of 2017.  But he came back stronger and hungrier without losing his edge.  More of a speed guy than a power guy, Scarlett is a great player to partner with Conner.

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will disagree on Sweat.  He has zero lateral movement.  He is a pure 4-3 DE

I'm actually fine with this. Let him play a more traditional 4-3 strongside role for a year or two. He can rotate with Bud on obvious passing situations. I like Sweat because he's big and strong. 

I'm not considering the AB part because I'm naively confident he will be back but overall I'd take it. You plugged a lot of holes with seemingly quality players. If I could tweak it a little....I like Baker, Sweat I'm not a fan of. He seems like a major project. Love Pratt but as you noted, he would need to be paired with a Run Thumper. Give we Saunders of Western Illinois over Edwin. Dude is humongous and crazy agile. I know we've seen plenty of "Jumping out of a pool" videos but watching a 320lb man do backflips is crazy. I don't know anything about Sills but he sounds fine. At TE I like Sternberger out of Texas A&M. He reminds of Vance McDonald but is a better blocker. I really like Ozigbo out of Nebraska but he may be more of the same of Connor/Samuels. A nice COP RB would be better. 

More than fine with Baker in 1st.

Still think they won’t go all defense with the 1st 3-4 picks...they’ll take an offensive player by end of day 2 especially if they trade AB and get a high pick back.

The reason I'm ok with Sweat when some of you isn't comes down to the fact that we play a 2-4-5 often.  Sweat gives the ability to still have size and strength on the field to play more traditional end styles when we are in this look.

I foolheartedly think that we can get more for AB, but I am willing to eval based on what is here. If we end up with this haul for AB, I'd rather keep him.  I like the aggressiveness of the trading and, as you say, the splash moves, but leaving this mock 2020 draft with three less picks is not at all pleasing, to me.  However...

LOVE BAKER!!!  He is not what we normally draft, and that is fine with me.  A shorter, hungrier, chip on the shoulder guy.  I'd love him at any point, AND it addresses our biggest need.

I see what you are doing with Sweat.  I think the issue that most people are having is that it is a scheme change for us.  Meaning, we are doing less of "OUR" traditional Defense and more of the future of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 stuff.  Sweat does not fit our mold of a OLB/Edge, but if we look at it from the POV of what we need to do, he is.  If we look at him as a designated pass rusher, he is what he is, and he is good.

Pratt is good... he is a better Fort, to put it simply.  Would be the coverage backer in Base, and the 'dimebacker' on passing downs.  Can get hammered in run, but is what we are looking for when we talk Deone Buchannon and types like that.

Now, here... we are NOT going to go with another D pick.  Colbert and Tomlin would not dream of it.  BUT, it is your mock... but I do not like the idea or pick of Alexander here.  Maybe if we are thinking a 3-3-5 deal with him at the Nose, but otherwise, unless he is 2 gapping, he is a waste of a pick.  I don't see the reason to more Hargrave at all.  I mean, he is a different nose, but unless he is logging DE snaps, I'd use him up at nose.  I'd rather take either a more DE-type body here (Isaiah Buggs, Jonathan Ledbetter), or another CB.  Knowing the FO, it is a WR though.

Now, in the back half, I feel good about SIlls.  I think he is a sleeper pick for us as he is at the Senior Bowl, we talked with him, he is a local kid, and he fits what we need.  I'd almost bet money that he ends up a Steeler.

Don't know Warring but you make him sound good.  I'll give him a look.

Hate Scarlett.  Maybe I hate all Gators, but I also don't like his play style.  I see the need of more of a gimmick/change of pace guy.

Sweat seems like he needs a lot of work whatever scheme he's running. Poor hand usage and relying on length and burst will only get him so far. The physical traits are there but he needs to be coached up. We haven't had a lot of luck there as of late. Maybe Butler could work some magic. I've mostly seen him as a 1st Rdr so getting him in the 2nd makes the pick more palatable. I just don't think he will be much of a contributor early on. 

*When I turn on tape to watch Sweat, I see Sophomore Willy Gay Jr. #6 (I don't think any relation) flashing. 

22 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Sweat seems like he needs a lot of work whatever scheme he's running. Poor hand usage and relying on length and burst will only get him so far. The physical traits are there but he needs to be coached up. We haven't had a lot of luck there as of late. Maybe Butler could work some magic. I've mostly seen him as a 1st Rdr so getting him in the 2nd makes the pick more palatable. I just don't think he will be much of a contributor early on. 

*When I turn on tape to watch Sweat, I see Sophomore Willy Gay Jr. #6 (I don't think any relation) flashing. 

When i watch Sweat I see a quick twitch DaShawn Hand.  He has no bend

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

When i watch Sweat I see a quick twitch DaShawn Hand.  He has no bend

Agreed. But given his length I'd think you could get him to improve on that. Or maybe that's one of those "You got it or don't" type of things. Again, not a bad player but I see him as closer to a project then a high rep guy. Fantastic measurables tho. 

If we pass on Sweat, he’s gonna be a guy by the end of his rookie deal that we say “damn can’t believe we passed on him”.

Who cares if you don’t think he can play OLB or drop. We played 2-4-5 more than 3-4 and rushed the 2 DL and 2 OLB more than anything. And this was our most effective defense. Sweat can get at the QB far better than Dupree, has a better bend than Dupree, uses his hands more effectively. Yes he’s a bit of a project, so is every DE/OLB in the late 1st. In the end he produces and production is what we need. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, warfelg said:

If we pass on Sweat, he’s gonna be a guy by the end of his rookie deal that we say “damn can’t believe we passed on him”.

Who cares if you don’t think he can play OLB or drop. We played 2-4-5 more than 3-4 and rushed the 2 DL and 2 OLB more than anything. And this was our most effective defense. Sweat can get at the QB far better than Dupree, has a better bend than Dupree, uses his hands more effectively. Yes he’s a bit of a project, so is every DE/OLB in the late 1st. In the end he produces and production is what we need. 

I agree with the sentiment we are going to play with 2-4-5 more (or 4-2-5, whichever, it's practically the same) that being said, I'd think getting a free agent defensive end/pass rusher makes more sense than drafting ANOTHER one. It's like drafting cornerbacks and none of them succeed, so you do it again. Defeat the purpose of the draft. Sweat is a really good player, but his ceiling isn't where Darius Leonard is (senior players who can continue to grow). 

Archived