Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I would like everyone’s best under the radar cheap signing option at the following  positions,

SS - Tre Boston > Vaccaro,

NB - Roby (he is a NB to me, not a boundary defender) > Ward

OLB - Za'Darius Smith > Terrelle Suggs >  Wake > Shane Ray

DL - Danny Shelton (everyone seems to forget about him), > Henry Anderson (damn solid vs the run and probably the most unknown) > Michael Pierce > Peko (massive two gapping NT)

OG -  Jake Fisher (I want him to kick inside) > Jordan Mills (should have always been an OG, he isn't a tackle-level athlete IMO),

RB - Hunt > Jalen Richard > Ty Montgomery > Adrian Peterson

Note - I have no clue about their demand, and I'm not doing much real research.

Boston did great on a one year deal, I don't think the safety market is going to bounce back a ton this year.

Roby had a really down year, but has enough good tape to warrant a NB role.

Smith gets pressure on the QB, but doesn't seem to get recognition. I bet he gets paid pretty well though, maybe $8 mil per. So I will roll with Suggs or Wake. One will give a discount while still being able to turn up a passrush as a reserve.

Both poor tackles, but may be decent OGs.

Hunt is a top player, Richard and Montgomery are probably the best receiving threats, AP ran well last year and has experience in a power blocking scheme (plus gets to run vs the Vikes twice)

On 1/29/2019 at 9:30 PM, WindyCity said:

I am not sure if it is free agency or the draft we need a legit backup for Burton.

Football outsiders has him ranked #1 in terms of TE route participation.

When he is out, that is a massive hole.

Yeah, I had high hopes for Shaheen but he's a lumbering dope who's always hurt. Next year is a massive season for him.

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, I had high hopes for Shaheen but he's a lumbering dope who's always hurt. Next year is a massive season for him.

I'd like to see him cut weight to 255 lbs or so and work on his agility/flexibility. Dude looks so effin' stiff at times on the field.

It's supposed to be a pretty solid draft for TEs, from what I've read.  Then again the way this is all currently shaping up, we are going to need to replace a starter at Nickel, SS, or Both already.... Almost assuredly going to have to look heavily at getting a RB or two so we never have to see Mizzell mentioned again, and quite possibly looking to get a receiver so that we can save cap space next year, while also being in the market for longer term answers on outside Corner (prince), RG (Long), OLB (which we might need to replace Floyd rather than pay him, in addition to depth guys), and RT (Massie)... Oh... and a new kicker and punter.

That's a whole mess of work to do with precious little cap and draft picks. 

I'm gonna take this in a slightly different direction for myself if that's OK.  These would be my priorities.

1) PK:  Provided SF doesn't tag him I would move heaven and earth twice to bring Robbie Gould back to finish his career as a Bear.

2) NB: Personally I believe we can keep Callahan at our price by letting Amos go.  I think Amos will command a top ten contract in excess of $30 mil  and $8 mil APY whereas whereas I believe due to his injuries Callahan can be had for less and with per game roster bonuses to help lower his 2019 cap. IMHO he has a unique skill set for a Slot CB, is a bigger playmaker than Amos, and would be harder to replace than a good but not great SS.

3) SS: To replace Amos I'd take a run at Tyran Mathieu hoping I could get him for a more cap friendly deal than the 1 year $7 mil deal he got in Houston. I see him as a better playmaker than Amos and also good in the box and near the LOS.  Here we also have a kid with an injury history but he's only 26 and has started all 16 games his last two years.  Like Callahan we can lower his 2019 cap cost with a bigger signing bonus and future roster bonuses.

4) DL:  Keep RRH around at all costs.  He's a poor man's Julius Peppers whose still upping his game and tough to stop as a pass rusher.

5) RB: If Jordan Howard is truly an "odd man out" in Nagy's offense especially with his bump to $2 mil in 2019 now would be the time to shop him for a day two pick.  I would think a late 3rd or an early 4th might get it done.  Undoubtedly Pace will draft a RB in the middle round and/or look to sign Kareem Hunt provided he comes through his NFL investigation unscathed or not too badly sanctioned with a suspension.

This is where I'm at right now and of course it could all change in a NY minute once we get closer to FA and we see what Pace's thinking is following the Combine.  I'm sure Pace will be looking for some younger vet bargains who can be had cheap by picking over lower level UFA and those released by their teams for cap reasons.  But for me the above are my focus as far a keeping this ball rolling.

9 hours ago, Epyon said:

It's supposed to be a pretty solid draft for TEs, from what I've read.  Then again the way this is all currently shaping up, we are going to need to replace a starter at Nickel, SS, or Both already.... Almost assuredly going to have to look heavily at getting a RB or two so we never have to see Mizzell mentioned again, and quite possibly looking to get a receiver so that we can save cap space next year, while also being in the market for longer term answers on outside Corner (prince), RG (Long), OLB (which we might need to replace Floyd rather than pay him, in addition to depth guys), and RT (Massie)... Oh... and a new kicker and punter.

That's a whole mess of work to do with precious little cap and draft picks. 

I've watched a handful of mid round TEs. Decent to good receivers, but they can't block to save their lives.  

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

9 hours ago, G08 said:

I'd like to see him cut weight to 255 lbs or so and work on his agility/flexibility. Dude looks so effin' stiff at times on the field.

I think he looked good in camp.  He never came back in season the same. Denver practices showed what Bears had planned and he was a central part of it.  Denver writers went nuts about Bears TE's and how Denver D couldn't deal with them.

GO8 makes a good point.  Cutting some weight and getting flexible should help him stay healthy.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:30 PM, WindyCity said:

I am not sure if it is free agency or the draft we need a legit backup for Burton.

Football outsiders has him ranked #1 in terms of TE route participation.

When he is out, that is a massive hole.

Love the potential of Zach Gentry at the next level. A really good kid too, he dated my little sister in HS. 

Archived