Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

So with a day off I figured I would really dive into the FA market and look for the guys I would love to see on this team at positions of need…

RB

Mark Ingram…my top choice of we are going to spend a bit of money and get a veteran back…Ingram still bring speed and power even though he is approaching 30 years old he has been in the Saints running back by committee having a career high in carries of only 230…he has averaged only 165 carries a season over his 8 year career so wear and tear shouldn’t be a big issue (for comparison Jordan Howard has averaged 259 carries per season over 3 years)…Ingram is also a big time threat in the passing game with natural hands and an ability to excel on screens.

Tevin Coleman…possibly out of the price range given his age and a risk given his injury history but man oh man is he tailor made for this scheme…one word describes Coleman…Explosive…dude can take it to the house on any touch and his versatility as a runner and pass catcher again makes a ton of sense for him to be a target if we move on from Howard.

Corey Grant…Grant is my under the radar pickup…any time he has been given a proper chance by the Jags he has produced…the sample size is small but in two seasons where he has had 30 carries or more he has averaged 6.6 yards per…he has shown good hands when given the change too…Grant will probably never be a 1000 yard rusher but as a piece of the puzzle he would be excellent…outstanding special teamer as well.

WR

Demaryius Thomas…hey Bay Bay…want another ring? Thomas still has something left in the tank at 31 years old and on a one-year team friendly deal where he has an outstanding supporting cast he could come up big when it really matters…again adds size and physicality on the outside when times get hard and no one is getting open.

Chris Conley…This one make too much sense for us not to be interested…with White going and just Robinson and Wims on the roster as bigger WRs why not go and get a guy who understands the scheme and clearly has a skill set that Nagy rates…Conley and Wims would give be a lot of confidence as depth and role players on this team when the smaller guys are struggling to get off the LOS like they did against the Eagles.

J.J Nelson…from the completely other school of thought Nelson would be a cheap backup as a guy who can take the top off a defence…he fell off a cliff last year in AZ but before that he was averaging 18.5 YPC with 10 TDs on 74 catches…nothing but a role player but an effective one if used correctly.

TE

C.J Uzomah…if we are looking for a TE with the size of an inline blocker and the speed of a flex then Uzomah is the guy…a physical freak who was finally used in Cincinnati last season he would be an excellent addition to Burton and Shaheen and could finally give Nagy something more Kelce like.

Interior OL

A.J Cann…if we are going to move on from Kyle Long which IMO is a real possibility, we need to replace him with at least a solid option…Cann is very experienced starter who would bring a real powerful edge to our run game.

Justin McCray…If we keep Long we could still use quality depth as he could easily get injured again…I am a fan of McCray…I think with the Packers asking him to play OT put him in a tough position but inside he could use his pass pro skills far more effectively…if we are in a pinch though we could also ask him to play tackle.

OLB

Too many names here to break down but any time we could add more pass rush we should jump all over it…and this list doesn’t even include all the very top guys…

Dante Fowler

Shane Ray

Shaq Barnett

Markus Golden

Terrell Suggs

Alex Okafor

Bruce Irvin

Brandon Copeland

Anthony Chickillo

Connor Barwin

CB

Justin Verrett…health is a major concern but Verrett is an outstanding CB who would be a fantastic replacement at CB if Callahan isn’t resigned…excellent coverage and ball hawking skills…hopefully a change of scenery and a move to NB would help him stay healthy on a short-term contract.

P.J Williams…Williams has never lived up to the hype he created in college but in terms of skill sets he has everything required to excel in this scheme…with Amukamara being gone after this year finding a young talented replacement on the cheap makes a ton of sense.

S

London Collins…I know he would be big money…but damn what a dream team of a safety combination he would be with Jackson…if we can create the money and continue to add major talents like Collins if Amos goes it’s a statement of intent.

Clayton Geathers…if Pagano wants to get some of his guys in the building and is looking for a Bernard Pollard then he brings the guy he drafted in Indy in Geathers…not a big-time playmaker but very strong and physical from the SS position and would be a cheaper option than a lot of others.

K

Basically anyone but Parkey…Gould would of course be awesome…if not given me Dawson or Bryant for the year.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

So with a day off I figured I would really dive into the FA market and look for the guys I would love to see on this team at positions of need…

Cool.  Working, but procrastinating like usual.

RB

Mark Ingram…my top choice of we are going to spend a bit of money and get a veteran back…Ingram still bring speed and power even though he is approaching 30 years old he has been in the Saints running back by committee having a career high in carries of only 230…he has averaged only 165 carries a season over his 8 year career so wear and tear shouldn’t be a big issue (for comparison Jordan Howard has averaged 259 carries per season over 3 years)…Ingram is also a big time threat in the passing game with natural hands and an ability to excel on screens.

Tevin Coleman…possibly out of the price range given his age and a risk given his injury history but man oh man is he tailor made for this scheme…one word describes Coleman…Explosive…dude can take it to the house on any touch and his versatility as a runner and pass catcher again makes a ton of sense for him to be a target if we move on from Howard.

Corey Grant…Grant is my under the radar pickup…any time he has been given a proper chance by the Jags he has produced…the sample size is small but in two seasons where he has had 30 carries or more he has averaged 6.6 yards per…he has shown good hands when given the change too…Grant will probably never be a 1000 yard rusher but as a piece of the puzzle he would be excellent…outstanding special teamer as well.

I think it was Hunt or bust in FA for me.  Just go with a rookie and Howard and Cohen.  One more cheap player that can help with ST.

WR

Demaryius Thomas…hey Bay Bay…want another ring? Thomas still has something left in the tank at 31 years old and on a one-year team friendly deal where he has an outstanding supporting cast he could come up big when it really matters…again adds size and physicality on the outside when times get hard and no one is getting open.

Chris Conley…This one make too much sense for us not to be interested…with White going and just Robinson and Wims on the roster as bigger WRs why not go and get a guy who understands the scheme and clearly has a skill set that Nagy rates…Conley and Wims would give be a lot of confidence as depth and role players on this team when the smaller guys are struggling to get off the LOS like they did against the Eagles.

J.J Nelson…from the completely other school of thought Nelson would be a cheap backup as a guy who can take the top off a defence…he fell off a cliff last year in AZ but before that he was averaging 18.5 YPC with 10 TDs on 74 catches…nothing but a role player but an effective one if used correctly.

I like our WRs as is.

TE

C.J Uzomah…if we are looking for a TE with the size of an inline blocker and the speed of a flex then Uzomah is the guy…a physical freak who was finally used in Cincinnati last season he would be an excellent addition to Burton and Shaheen and could finally give Nagy something more Kelce like.

I think this would be a great fit for our team.

Interior OL

A.J Cann…if we are going to move on from Kyle Long which IMO is a real possibility, we need to replace him with at least a solid option…Cann is very experienced starter who would bring a real powerful edge to our run game.

Justin McCray…If we keep Long we could still use quality depth as he could easily get injured again…I am a fan of McCray…I think with the Packers asking him to play OT put him in a tough position but inside he could use his pass pro skills far more effectively…if we are in a pinch though we could also ask him to play tackle.

I'm guessing they keep Long.  I think Witzmann played well after a rocky start.  I'd like to bring him back.  

OLB

Too many names here to break down but any time we could add more pass rush we should jump all over it…and this list doesn’t even include all the very top guys…

Dante Fowler

Shane Ray

Shaq Barnett

Markus Golden

Terrell Suggs

Alex Okafor

Bruce Irvin

Brandon Copeland

Anthony Chickillo

Connor Barwin

I think you need one more OLB for depth purposes.  Fowler played well enough in playoffs that he will be cost prohibitive.  Not sure how much other guys will cost.  Maybe resign Irving and use an aging Clay Matthews or Suggs in spot duty.  Although both are such team fixtures that it's hard to see them leaving their respective teams.  If Jerry Rice can play for other teams so can those guys.    Everyone is like Matthews sucked, but he played decent to good in spots I saw.  He didn't get much help and was victim of some bad roughing calls.  He was around the ball a lot and hustled.  He played better than an albeit injured Floyd did in first half of the year.  

CB

Justin Verrett…health is a major concern but Verrett is an outstanding CB who would be a fantastic replacement at CB if Callahan isn’t resigned…excellent coverage and ball hawking skills…hopefully a change of scenery and a move to NB would help him stay healthy on a short-term contract.

P.J Williams…Williams has never lived up to the hype he created in college but in terms of skill sets he has everything required to excel in this scheme…with Amukamara being gone after this year finding a young talented replacement on the cheap makes a ton of sense.

Jason Verrett was a first round pick and pro bowler when healthy.  He might sign a 1 year prove he can stay healthy deal looking for big money in 2020, but I can't think it would be for less than 7 or 8 million with incentives.   I think Bears are going to have to wait out the big deals, there are a lot of teams with money to spend, and see what is left over and pick from that at CB.  Bears just aren't going to be big players in FA.   They may even be looking for depth at CB after cuts.

S

London Collins…I know he would be big money…but damn what a dream team of a safety combination he would be with Jackson…if we can create the money and continue to add major talents like Collins if Amos goes it’s a statement of intent.

No way, no how IMO.  Fun to dream though.  

Clayton Geathers…if Pagano wants to get some of his guys in the building and is looking for a Bernard Pollard then he brings the guy he drafted in Indy in Geathers…not a big-time playmaker but very strong and physical from the SS position and would be a cheaper option than a lot of others.

Maybe.   Thinking Pace is more of a mind that Bush is 1st for now and a rookie will compete.  

K

Basically anyone but Parkey…Gould would of course be awesome…if not given me Dawson or Bryant for the year.

I am of mind of just getting someone who can blast it through end zone on kickoffs and just going for 2 on extra points and going for it on every 4th and short not deep in your own terriorty.  Only kick field goals from 35 and in.  Then kicker doesn't matter much and I think over course of a game you will score more points.   But I am crazy like that.  

On 2/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, WindyCity said:

Joe Flacco traded to Denver.

Elway is such a clown.

A desperate one too.

My guess is he'll depend on the defense again to carry the water but at least with Flacco he has a guy who can hit some big plays.

17 hours ago, Tyty said:

Demaryius Thomas doesn’t have anything left in the tank lol. He had an abysmal year and then reinjured his Achilles. That’s all she wrote on him. 

Even at that he would still offer us something...no one is expecting the blazing fast young version but you are still getting a 6-3" 230lbs receiver who offers a big physical target when guys can't off the LOS which was a major issue against Philly.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Even at that he would still offer us something...no one is expecting the blazing fast young version but you are still getting a 6-3" 230lbs receiver who offers a big physical target when guys can't off the LOS which was a major issue against Philly.

Don’t think you understand Achilles injuries. That’s a death sentence especially in your 30s

i am interested in how you would use him though. Who would you supplant or would you have him as a 4? Cause Miller deserves playing time, Robinson is getting $$ and Gabriel seems to be to most consistent. So are you going to put an old vet at 4 when that could go to an equally capable younger guy?

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think they have the big guys covered with Robinson and the continued flashes of Wims.

If they want a big WR I would prefer one that can flat out run by guys. That is the best way to get DBs not to press. 

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

Don’t think you understand Achilles injuries. That’s a death sentence especially in your 30s

i am interested in how you would use him though. Who would you supplant or would you have him as a 4? Cause Miller deserves playing time, Robinson is getting $$ and Gabriel seems to be to most consistent. So are you going to put an old vet at 4 when that could go to an equally capable younger guy?

I agree. I am not sure we ever see Demaryus Thomas again, at least not as a viable NFL WR.

17 minutes ago, Tyty said:

We have to get away from thinking we have a #1 or #2 or whatever...that is not how this scheme works...it's all about matchups...some weeks a guy like Thomas wouldn't see the field cause using Gabriel or Cohen's short area quickness would work better...some weeks it's about dominating smaller CBs physically...the Chiefs do it very well...the Pats have been masters of it for years.

20 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Also this isn't true anymore...guys come back from injuries that 10 years ago were career ending...if one thing in sport never stops evolving it's how they treat guys who are injured.

Archived