Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Also this isn't true anymore...guys come back from injuries that 10 years ago were career ending...if one thing in sport never stops evolving it's how they treat guys who are injured.

The writings been on the wall for him for a while now, even before the significant injury(ies). While I do agree significant injuries are a lot more manageable these days, I don’t think the guy has time or youth on his side to be anywhere near what he was in his prime. 

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We have to get away from thinking we have a #1 or #2 or whatever...that is not how this scheme works...it's all about matchups...some weeks a guy like Thomas wouldn't see the field cause using Gabriel or Cohen's short area quickness would work better...some weeks it's about dominating smaller CBs physically...the Chiefs do it very well...the Pats have been masters of it for years.

Robinson’s getting paid way too much to be anything but the 1. Can’t keep giving the guy $10m a season for 700 yard seasons lol

3 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Robinson’s getting paid way too much to be anything but the 1. Can’t keep giving the guy $10m a season for 700 yard seasons lol

Actually you can bc his value isnt solely in leading the team in rec or TDs.  Plus he was just a year removed from the acl tear.  Its typically the 2nd year back you see a player return to full strength.  The offense wont ever be dependent on Robinson being the guy.  It's always going to be about matchups and scheme.

15 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Actually you can bc his value isnt solely in leading the team in rec or TDs.  Plus he was just a year removed from the acl tear.  Its typically the 2nd year back you see a player return to full strength.  The offense wont ever be dependent on Robinson being the guy.  It's always going to be about matchups and scheme.

cTnR5CV.png

42 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Trubisky made his numbers much worse. Trubisky had a 75% accurate targets rate to everyone who caught passes and a 58% for Robinson.

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Can we really say that is on Trubisky tho?

I think a lot of inaccurate targets has to go on the QB.

He missed Robinson a lot deep with uncatchable passes. I am not sure who that is on. They were not even close to on the same page early in the season.

Most of the time it seemed like when he was throwing it Robinson's way it was going out of bounds. Mitch needs to know that Robinson can go up and get the ball. Even throwing it short might not be the worst thing. Normally causes a PI call or he will actually fight for it and catch it. 

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He missed Robinson a lot deep with uncatchable passes. I am not sure who that is on. They were not even close to on the same page early in the season.

I could understand if his accuracy was erratic with everyone but being significantly better with everyone but Robinson makes me think blame lies at the feet of both.

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I could understand if his accuracy was erratic with everyone but being significantly better with everyone but Robinson makes me think blame lies at the feet of both.

Or the degree of difficulty of throws to Robinson was higher. I have a hard time blaming Robinson because a drop or play by a defender is not counted negatively in a catchable target.

The Miller and Gabriel numbers are inflated by screens and short passes.

57 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the 2 of them not practicing together until the last week of camp probably wasnt good, and then add in that Robinson didnt see a snap of preseason.  It's hard to manufacture chemistry.  Robinson also draws cb1 most of the time and the offense is predicated on throwing to the open man.  It's on both to be better next year and I believe they will

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I think the 2 of them not practicing together until the last week of camp probably wasnt good, and then add in that Robinson didnt see a snap of preseason.  It's hard to manufacture chemistry.  Robinson also draws cb1 most of the time and the offense is predicated on throwing to the open man.  It's on both to be better next year and I believe they will

I think Robinson may shock some people next year.  He is not particularly well thought of right now nationally.  Kind of a blah player because he hasn't put up big numbers in a long time.

I think people forget how good he is at his best, that he missed a lot of practice with injury last year and how young he still is.

Ramon Foster would be a great replacement if Long is released. I really like Chris Conley to take over for Bellamy and draft WR somewhere. Suggs/Wake/Matthews I really like the idea of a former pro bowl aging vet to be that 3rd guy. I still think one of Amos or Callahan is resigned leaving one fairly large hole surely to be addressed in the draft. 

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think they have the big guys covered with Robinson and the continued flashes of Wims.

If they want a big WR I would prefer one that can flat out run by guys. That is the best way to get DBs not to press. 

Chris Conley from KC has been mentioned as a possible FA pickup.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chrisconley/2552652/profile

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Chris-Conley-Bears-free-agency-fit-2019-129020493/

The young wideout opened the 2017 season as a starter opposite of Tyreek Hill but saw action in just five games that season. He suffered an Achilles injury that October and missed the rest of the season. He ended the year with just 11 receptions for 175 yards. He returned this past season to appear in all 16 games with 13 starts. He ended the season with 32 catches for 334 yards and scored five touchdowns.

Conley would be able to bring another element of speed to Chicago's offense. During the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine, he ran an impressive 4.35-second 40-yard dash. He also proved to be among the strongest wideouts in that draft by doing 18 reps on the bench press. The wide receiver position is not of the utmost need for the Bears, yet a team should never turn away from an opportunity to get better.

Knox believes Conley could sign a one-year deal and that could be a possibility if the market is not very strong for his services.  Adding Conley to the mix would only help to push the other options at the position and give quarterback Mitch Trubisky yet another target in the passing game. 

Archived