Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

4 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

I wasn't a Henry fan. I felt he was a poor man Fournette but people focused on his positives and Fournettes negatives. I get it because when they "faced off" Henry had the far better game. That game also really put Eddie Jacksons physicalty on the map for me. That game also showed me what I love about Fournette, he never gave up. He's was breaking multiple tackles in the backfield and still getting tackled for loss. He's was pass protecting still with effort. A lot of guys quit on that when their not having good games. Like Anthony Miller Fournette has big strong hands and is a natural hands catcher. They're both guys that "pluck it out of the air".  A change of scenery could do both guys well. I think our O can make Fournette an elite runner. Howard has shown he can run without a passing attack. 

FWIW Fournette has yet to eclipse 4.0 ypc yet in 2 NFL seasons and hasn’t played a full season since 2015. The upside remains without question but at least as yet there’s also a lot of unrealized potential. This year is gonna be really big for him. 

I'm having a tough time predicting much about FA until I know how Pace will decide regarding Amos and Callahan.

My current inclination is to think that Amos will sign elsewhere and that it's 60/40 or maybe a little better we can keep Callahan as I still feel he would be the tougher of the two to replace.  But it's tricky and it could go the opposite or we could lose both.

So IMHO initially who we target in FA will depend on that and also whose out there.  It's likely some of these guys who we could target will be retained by their current teams leaving the pickings much slimmer.  That said my guess is we'll look to fill at least one of those spots in FA.

Other than possibly spending big on Robbie Gould to bring him back I think the rest will be lower level guys coming off rookie deals and quite possibly 2nd and 3rd level vets for depth and competition after the 1st wave of signings is through.  We have to add to the roster and we don't have a whole lot cap room to do it with unless Pace and Laine decide to do some restructuring of high cap contracts.

But......with Pace we never really know do we?  Letting Amos go only to maneuver a way to sign Landon Collins if NYG allows him to hit FA would not exactly shock me.  He always seems to be good for at least one surprise per offseason and it's unlikely to come during the draft.

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW Fournette has yet to eclipse 4.0 ypc yet in 2 NFL seasons and hasn’t played a full season since 2015. The upside remains without question but at least as yet there’s also a lot of unrealized potential. This year is gonna be really big for him. 

He's also had no help. Ever. 

Running game is like 75% oline and 25% back.  Generally speaking. 

25% is not nothing. 25% matters.  But I'm always more concenred with front 5 and 6th guy blocking in box. There are very few run plays with only 5 box players blocking.  6th guy in scheme matters.  WRs matter in blocking too.

They asked Gabriel to block a lot last year for some reason and he couldn't do it.  Gabriel was great in downfield receiving game, but he isnt a guy you want blocking on sweeps, OZ or screens.  If memory serves I wasn't real impressed with him catching screens or running fly sweeps either, but I'm not remembering that particular part of his game great right now. Maybe he was.  I'd have to go back and look. I havent rewatched any games.

He was liability in the blocking sense. I remember that.  Miller's shoulder kept him from being better there too I think.  Getting Wims more involved I think would give you some more packages and options. Big body with large catch radius where MT can drive a football.  MT seems, at this point, to better at making those throws than the downfield over the shoulder throws.  Hopefully he can block too.

7 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

He's also had no help. Ever. 

Neither did Jordan Howard in 2017, and I’m certainly not saying Howard is a more talented player. Supporting cast doesn’t have anything to do with his durability issues. Fournette’s underachievement to date is not entirely on him, but he doesn’t just get a pass either. 

Is there an example of such a highly touted RB prospect who’s underachieved to these levels without MAJOR injury his first 2 seasons who has then gone on to have a great career? 

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 6:56 PM, beardown3231 said:

Clinton Dix is a FS. The Bears are losing Amos, not Jackson.

Ansah is going to get a pretty big contract, imo, so that's a no.

I wouldn't be upset with Roby and Gostkowski.

Honey Badger is far and away my top choice ..  Dix interests me because he is athletic enough to play multiple positions, esp in  read and react passing situations, and is from the division, and should come pretty dam cheap after his forgettable Skins stint

Ansah, also from division and there alot of FA edge options that are far more durable ..  count on missing at least 4 games with Ansah ..  I think he could go sneaky cheap but thos could just be the BYU homer in me ha !

A rotation of Mack/Floyd/Ansah would be AWESOME  !!

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Neither did Jordan Howard in 2017, and I’m certainly not saying Howard is a more talented player. Supporting cast doesn’t have anything to do with his durability issues. Fournette’s underachievement to date is not entirely on him, but he doesn’t just get a pass either. 

Is there an example of such a highly touted RB prospect who’s underachieved to these levels without MAJOR injury his first 2 seasons who has then gone on to have a great career? 

You wanna add anymore to narrow down that even more for me haha. Ricky Williams and Todd Gurley maybe. 

6 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

You wanna add anymore to narrow down that even more for me haha. Ricky Williams and Todd Gurley maybe. 

My point was that nearly all of the highly touted RBs who started off bad stayed bad. Gurley was a pro bowler as a rookie so he doesn’t really fit. Williams fits, but he may be the only one. Certainly one of a very short list. 

Also, I forget just how crazy weird Ricky Williams’ career was. 

On 2/19/2019 at 1:43 AM, AZBearsFan said:

My point was that nearly all of the highly touted RBs who started off bad stayed bad. Gurley was a pro bowler as a rookie so he doesn’t really fit. Williams fits, but he may be the only one. Certainly one of a very short list. 

Also, I forget just how crazy weird Ricky Williams’ career was. 

I agree. Looking up the stats it was hard to find those two. I don't really think Fournette has been bad. Numbers can lie. Fournette carried that offense the only times they've been good. 

Fournette is a guy I just still couldn't pass up.  If he played 16 games on our team, with our scheme, I think he can be special. 

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

I agree. Looking up the stats it was hard to find those two. I don't really think Fournette has been bad. Numbers can lie. Fournette carried that offense the only times they've been good. 

Fournette is a guy I just still couldn't pass up.  If he played 16 games on our team, with our scheme, I think he can be special. 

Sorry Fournette is a guy that is easily to pass on, he has a poor attitude and hasn’t produced at a position that historically is easy to produce in as a rookie and he is also going to cost as much or more than Howard or a rookie.  He can stay in Jacksonville. 

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Sorry Fournette is a guy that is easily to pass on, he has a poor attitude and hasn’t produced at a position that historically is easy to produce in as a rookie and he is also going to cost as much or more than Howard or a rookie.  He can stay in Jacksonville. 

He also makes more money than I want to pay a RB, especially because Cohen is going to make real money from us.

I would like a RB making a nice 600K.

38 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Amos said on XM Radio this morning that the Bears are going back and forth with him. Guess we'll see if there able to get something done. He talked about joining the Broncos too. 

I am sure they will be going back and forth right to the point when someone offers him 8-season.

Archived