Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

On February 3, 2019 at 7:02 AM, Madmike90 said:

If we are thinking super cheap then Tyler Eifert on a 1 year vet min deal would make a ton of sense...clearly very talented when healthy he would be a perfect fit for that flex role...just need to hope the change of scenery could see a change in luck when it comes to injury. 

@WindyCityHmmm. 

Jordan Reed in Wash may get cut.  He hasnt been able to stay healthy, team may be tanking for QB and his guarantee ended in 2018.  

After/if getting cut he may sign a one year cheapish prove it deal on a contending team looking for a bigger payout in 2020 showing he can stay healthy.  

I like that gamble more than Eifert gamble.  Eifert has a bad back. Once your back is bad nothing works right ever again.  Worst injury you can have. 

Not sure if I am in favor of this.  Or if its affordable.  Just a thought. 

3 minutes ago, Bearsfancro said:

Hunt

Uzomah

Suggs

Retain Amos and Callahan..

I think it should be doable with our cap space...

Sign several vets for depth

Draft OL, CB, OLB, RB, WR

Undrafted: K, P...

That would be interesting.  I would be shocked if Suggs didnt retire a Raven at this point. 

Like Hunt and Uzomah.

39 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Do teams normally wait until the deadline before tagging players? Would stink to miss out of other options to wait for Gould and then he gets tagged, assuming Bears want him back

The tag deadline is in February, FA doesnt start until March 1, no risk of losing out anybody bc of waiting for tags.

Hub Arkush

From The Score [Bernstien and McKnight]

“THERE’S A GROWING SENSE THAT THE BEARS WILL BE BIG-TIME PLAYERS IN THE SAFETY MARKET IF AMOS’ ASKING PRICE DOESN’T COME DOWN…

…THE FEELING IS WHY PAY AMOS TOP SAFETY MONEY WHEN THEY COULD PAY A FEW MILLION MORE PER YEAR FOR A TOP-END SAFETY.”

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would not be surprised if they let Amos walk if his demands are in the 10/year range.

I would be surprised if they sign a big name safety.

The one that Hub mentions specifically is Tyrann Mathieu.

I thought about Mathieu.  That would give Bears 2 back end playmakers and if he could stay healthy through out season a possible historic defense.   Mathieu is also a prolific blitzer.  A healthy Earl Thomas at top of his game would be same, better even coverage wise.  But who knows with that guy and who knows with his injury.   

It would be a huge go for it in 2019 gamble as it would really mess with your cap.  

Not sure Mathieu is willing to sign a one year deal again.  I would say probably not.  Same with Thomas, though he may not have a choice given his age and injury.

I don't listen to him much, but Hub seems to me wrong as much or more than he is right.  Not saying he isn't a knowledgable guy, but he says a lot of speculative stuff with absolute confidence.  

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I would not be surprised if they let Amos walk if his demands are in the 10/year range.

Mathieu is a playmaker and a guy I've thought of too.  He's another guy whose had some injury issues in his past but seems to have overcome them.

Mathieu got $7 mil on a one year deal from Houston and I don't know that I see him getting a whole lot more than that on a longer term deal.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Mathieu is far from the best safety available...Landon Collins would be an insanely good signing.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Landon Collins would be an insanely good signing.

Also worth pointing out that this is a crowded SS free agency, and the Bears are likely a VERY attractive landing spot for any "ring chasers".... both factors could drive down costs a bit on grabbing a guy like Collins, or even just resigning Amos.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Mathieu is my top defensive FA target right now over Amos and Callahan, largely because he can play both safety and slot at a high level. Adding Mathieu allows us to essentially replace the strengths in Amos’ and Callahan’s games with one FA which gives us more flexibility in the draft in terms of finding the best DB to add in the middle rounds rather than needing a specific skill set. Also, replacing 2 starters with 1 FA further opens up the possibility of a 2020 comp pick. 

Archived