Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Mathieu tweeted the other day, something to the effect of "bet on myself and it paid off, stay tuned" so odds are he's referring to an imminent longer term deal in Houston

Very possibly. But could also mean he knows he’s gonna get paid somewhere in another 6 weeks. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mathieu is my top defensive FA target right now over Amos and Callahan, largely because he can play both safety and slot at a high level. Adding Mathieu allows us to essentially replace the strengths in Amos’ and Callahan’s games with one FA which gives us more flexibility in the draft in terms of finding the best DB to add in the middle rounds rather than needing a specific skill set. Also, replacing 2 starters with 1 FA further opens up the possibility of a 2020 comp pick. 

That was somewhat my thinking as well.  Mathieu has that positional versatility and he's a tough guy to beat up on in either spot.

On 2/8/2019 at 3:30 AM, soulman said:

That was somewhat my thinking as well.  Mathieu has that positional versatility and he's a tough guy to beat up on in either spot.

Love Mathieu.  He's a better version of Callahan and can play between safety/CB in a pinch.

39 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Love Mathieu.  He's a better version of Callahan and can play between safety/CB in a pinch.

He offers a ton of versatility since he can play CB or S. Allows you to really go after the best one you can find in the draft. I personally want a CB to compete with Toliver next year for the number 2 spot but can plug into NB for now. 

Get our passrush with Jackson and Honey Badger both back there? Hell yes. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Eric Reid just got a $7.33/year extension over 3 years from Carolina.

That could give us a rough idea of how Pace may value Amos and from Amos's perspective it's more than likely a bottom he'll look to negotiate upward from.  And I would not be at all surprised to see Denver take a swing at him or for Amos to accept.  Fangio and Donatell have helped make him as valuable as he's become.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is worse news for the Bears.

Pretty much means Amos is gone if that is what guys are getting before the market even opens.

I really liked Reid as a fallback option for us in case things didn't work out with Amos.  

The fact that Reid played 3 games less that Amos did this past season and he earned that much already probably means bye bye Amos.

27 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I really liked Reid as a fallback option for us in case things didn't work out with Amos.  

The fact that Reid played 3 games less that Amos did this past season and he earned that much already probably means bye bye Amos.

Yep he's gone. I think they should focus on getting Bryce back right now. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is worse news for the Bears.

Pretty much means Amos is gone if that is what guys are getting before the market even opens.

I’m still of the mind that Amos plays the most replaceable position in our defense, especially next to Jackson. Bush didn’t look out of place stepping in for Jackson, and his skill set is a more natural fit for what Amos does anyway. 

I’m personally looking really hard at Deone Bucannon to fill that Amos role. He played a very similar SS role in AZ under Bowles and then Boettcher from 14-17 to what I expect under Pagano. Here’s how his production there matches up with Amos:

Amos 15-18: 60 games (56 starts), 269 tackles, 3 INT, 3 FF, 3 FR, 2 sacks, 13 TFL, 2 QB hits 

Bucannon 14-17: 57 games (50 starts), 366 tackles, 2 INT, 6 FF, 4 FR, 6 sacks, 26 TFL, 12 QB hits

I’m expecting Bucannon’s market to be much more in our ballpark. 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Missed opportunity. 

I am sure the Dorsey connection and Cleveland is his home town helped.

Too bad.

Cleveland?  

Didnt seem a need for them.  I hope he at least cost them some money. If they signed him for a song I am going to be pissed.

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m still of the mind that Amos plays the most replaceable position in our defense, especially next to Jackson. Bush didn’t look out of place stepping in for Jackson, and his skill set is a more natural fit for what Amos does anyway. 

I’m personally looking really hard at Deone Bucannon to fill that Amos role. He played a very similar SS role in AZ under Bowles and then Boettcher from 14-17 to what I expect under Pagano. Here’s how his production there matches up with Amos:

Amos 15-18: 60 games (56 starts), 269 tackles, 3 INT, 3 FF, 3 FR, 2 sacks, 13 TFL, 2 QB hits 

Bucannon 14-17: 57 games (50 starts), 366 tackles, 2 INT, 6 FF, 4 FR, 6 sacks, 26 TFL, 12 QB hits

I’m expecting Bucannon’s market to be much more in our ballpark. 

I don't have a problem with Bush replacing him. 

Archived