Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is that Callahan does not play 80% of snaps.

He has struggled to stay healthy to the point where I don’t think he has played close to 80% of the games he could have.

I have started to lean Amos, because on Sunday I know exactly where he is going to be.

Callahan may simply be too slight for rigors of NFL play his position demands. 

NFL skill players are big.  Each tackle takes a toll on tackler too. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is that Callahan does not play 80% of snaps.

He has struggled to stay healthy to the point where I don’t think he has played close to 80% of the games he could have.

I have started to lean Amos, because on Sunday I know exactly where he is going to be.

80% when he was healthy.  Sorry, didn't define that well.  What he was saying is we were in a sub package with a Slot CB 80% of the time.

I favored an offer that was based on how much less availability Callahan has had when compared to Young but some feel teams with huge cap reserves will ignore that because they have money to spend.

If all we'd need to guarantee Callahan is $14 mil over his first two years and we can structure the deal to keep his cap costs down especially in 2019 and 2020 then $7 mil aav for two years isn't going overboard IMHO.  You back end the deal and add per game roster bonuses to beef up the total dollars but the real objective is these next two years while we find his replacement.  If he keeps getting hurt he won't last longer than that anyway.

But, that said it's also possible we could land Amos with a similar offer.  I could live with either option but we should get one or the other if not both.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Callahan may simply be too slight for rigors of NFL play his position demands. 

NFL skill players are big.  Each tackle takes a toll on tackler too. 

He's in the ball park with other slot guys as far as his size goes.  Most go 190-200lbs.  But it's also possible that much like other positions like RB and SS those positions may have shorter "life expectancy". 

Tayvon Young is entering his 3rd year and may be in his prime whereas Callahan is entering his 5th year and may be leaving his.  But then you look at Chris Harris whose in his 9th   I guess that for Pace to determine.  If the price is too high and the risk to great he'll probably pass.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

He's in the ball park with other slot guys as far as his size goes.  Most go 190-200lbs.  But it's also possible that much like other positions like RB and SS those positions may have shorter "life expectancy". 

Tayvon Young is entering his 3rd year and may be in his prime whereas Callahan is entering his 5th year and may be leaving his.  But then you look at Chris Harris whose in his 9th   I guess that for Pace to determine.  If the price is too high and the risk to great he'll probably pass.

Yeah there will probably be quite a few incentives in any deal Bryce takes. 

It's interesting that Greg Gabriel seemed like he was complaining earlier about what the Bears would do/can't do if they sign both. They would have to sign bargain bin players. But what's wrong with that? I mean I doubt we keep more than 1 of these guys. But I'm assuming if we do work out a deal with both players it'll be beneficial to both sides. Most definitely our cap. 

21 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Yeah there will probably be quite a few incentives in any deal Bryce takes. 

It's interesting that Greg Gabriel seemed like he was complaining earlier about what the Bears would do/can't do if they sign both. They would have to sign bargain bin players. But what's wrong with that? I mean I doubt we keep more than 1 of these guys. But I'm assuming if we do work out a deal with both players it'll be beneficial to both sides. Most definitely our cap. 

Not sure I get his issues with that either.

IF, big IF, we did sign both all 22 starters return so any vet FA signed will more than likely be a backup and/or rotation guy who wouldn't be getting even close to starters money.  I'm thinkin' guys at vet minimums or $1-$2 mil one year prove it deals.  We've gotten good mileage out of quite a few of that type.

37 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Justin Houston released by Chiefs, worth a flyer? He is a shell of his former self but maybe worth a rotational spot if the price is right? An incentive laden contract?

Someone will pay him...pass rushers are always difficult to find and he will be overpaid due to it  

16 hours ago, malagabears said:

Justin Houston released by Chiefs, worth a flyer? He is a shell of his former self but maybe worth a rotational spot if the price is right? An incentive laden contract?

Be great but probably unaffordable.  Like Madmike said he's still only 30 years old and still running up sack so he's gonna get paid more than we could spend on him.   If he doesn't get signed right out of the gate there always a chance but I wouldn't count on it.  Love to have him though.

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to start wondering with safety cuts seemingly down to money if we are going to see a continuation of last offseason market with none of these safeties getting paid big bucks. 

Certainly possible now. Reid was smart to take the money Carolina was offering him. 

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Someone will pay him...pass rushers are always difficult to find and he will be overpaid due to it  

Yep. Lynch did Jack squat for a good while and still got paid by us. Houston is aging but still a quality passrusher, likely looking at $7 mil per year minimum. 

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Be great but probably unaffordable.  Like Madmike said he's still only 30 years old and still running up sack so he's gonna get paid more than we could spend on him.   If he doesn't get signed right out of the gate there always a chance but I wouldn't count on it.  Love to have him though.

He’s also gonna want to go somewhere to start. We are looking for a 3rd edge rusher, so that place wouldn’t be Chicago. 

Archived