Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Yep. Lynch did Jack squat for a good while and still got paid by us. Houston is aging but still a quality passrusher, likely looking at $7 mil per year minimum. 

Oh, I think he’s going to get a whole lot more than that. He just turned 30 in January, has had 9.0 and 9.5 sacks (in 12 games) the last 2 years, and is healthy hitting FA. It would surprise me if Houston’s contract wasn’t twice your projection, especially with Clowney, Ford, Clark and Lawrence all getting tagged. Houston will likely be the best available edge player in a market completely flooded with cap space. Also. Brandon Graham just got 3/$40M, and Houston is younger, is coming off a better year and has a better overall resume. Graham has 1 year out of 9 with more than 6.5 sacks. He’s basically Alex Brown. 

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to start wondering with safety cuts seemingly down to money if we are going to see a continuation of last offseason market with none of these safeties getting paid big bucks. 

That I would think would work in our favor and give us leverage with Amos. Not that I have anything against Amos trying to get his payday.

It's easy to see why teams are getting away from paying safeties...

1. Conversions...the rules in the NFL basically mean that most safeties are now just bigger CBs...which makes it far easier to take a bigger or slower college CB and make them a safety.

2. Scheme fit...Safety IMO is the position on defence that requires the right scheme fit...we have seen guys look great in one defence then utterly disappear when asked to do something different.  

3. Consistency...how many safeties have had a big season then done nothing the next? It's such a difficult position to find real consistency outside of the very top guys...also when was the last time you seen a safety sign a huge contract in FA and go on to excel? Very rare. 

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to start wondering with safety cuts seemingly down to money if we are going to see a continuation of last offseason market with none of these safeties getting paid big bucks. 

I would venture Collins will if only because he stands out in the crowd with the rest being part of a group where you might see little difference from one to another.

Biggs commented on this in his mailbag and says in his opinion the Bears will not spend big on the SS position knowing they need to extend both Whitehair and Jackson soon.

He also believes Amos will decide to test the market first before being willing to accept any offer the Bears may make.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s also gonna want to go somewhere to start. We are looking for a 3rd edge rusher, so that place wouldn’t be Chicago. 

Yeah, I'd agree that he may still be looking for a starters deal if he can get it and our budget is far below that,

I can see Pace waiting out the first wave of signings to see whose left after demand and asking prices have softened.  Bringing Lynch back is also an option.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

So we signed another kicker...Chris Blewitt...with a name like that and the Chicago media the headlines write themselves 😂 we need a quality rookie in here.

John Doinker expected to compete in camp as well. 

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It's easy to see why teams are getting away from paying safeties...

1. Conversions...the rules in the NFL basically mean that most safeties are now just bigger CBs...which makes it far easier to take a bigger or slower college CB and make them a safety.

2. Scheme fit...Safety IMO is the position on defence that requires the right scheme fit...we have seen guys look great in one defence then utterly disappear when asked to do something different.  

3. Consistency...how many safeties have had a big season then done nothing the next? It's such a difficult position to find real consistency outside of the very top guys...also when was the last time you seen a safety sign a huge contract in FA and go on to excel? Very rare. 

I'll add that the prevalence of smaller LBs (many of whom are converted college DBs) and the use of 5 DBs as a base package has made the responsibilities of all back 7 players much more fluid. We're no longer in an era where you need traditional box safeties. Teams are deploying a back 7 with varied skills and assigning coverage responsibilities based on each player's skillset.

We're seeing the athletic characteristics for each back 7 position become much less varied. Because of this, the talent pool is growing and coordinators are deploying players as more of a unit where individual limitations aren't as important. The Patriots are very good at this and have done it for years with secondary players who don't always fit traditional archetypes.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

So we signed another kicker...Chris Blewitt...with a name like that and the Chicago media the headlines write themselves 😂 we need a quality rookie in here.

Yeah, I thought that even deserved it own thread.

I mean it takes brass balls after Parkey to sign a PK with a name like Blewitt.  :P

16 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I'll add that the prevalence of smaller LBs (many of whom are converted college DBs) and the use of 5 DBs as a base package has made the responsibilities of all back 7 players much more fluid. We're no longer in an era where you need traditional box safeties. Teams are deploying a back 7 with varied skills and assigning coverage responsibilities based on each player's skillset.

We're seeing the athletic characteristics for each back 7 position become much less varied. Because of this, the talent pool is growing and coordinators are deploying players as more of a unit where individual limitations aren't as important. The Patriots are very good at this and have done it for years with secondary players who don't always fit traditional archetypes.

Good point.  Josh Woods whom we have on our PS was a Safety at Maryland but even at 207lbs the Bears list him as an ILB.

Archived