Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

So we signed another kicker...Chris Blewitt...with a name like that and the Chicago media the headlines write themselves 😂 we need a quality rookie in here.

If this guy isn’t #69 at least for the preseason then that’s an all-time equipment guy fail. 

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

And another safety hits the open market with the Broncos releasing Darian Stewart.

Stewart is a guy I think makes a ton of sense for us. He’s probably about the 10th best safety on the market right now so his price should be reasonable. He’d be a plug-and-play starter who’s only 30 so could potentially be more than a 1 year fix, and he brings the same physicality to the position Amos does with a bit more playmaking ability. Signing him also doesn’t hurt you in the comp pick formula. I think we need to be discussing the importance of that more too, especially since we once again don’t have a 1st rounder next year. 

The problem with Stewart is we'd be going down a Quinton Demps kinda road again.  Signing him cheap to provide vet depth and competition may work for a year but were talking about a guy whose entering his 10th year whom Denver let go in cap move even though he still had $2.8 mil of dead cap.

He'd be cheaper than Amos but not necessarily better than Amos in this defense.  If so why wouldn't Fangio have kept him rather release him to free up some cap he may want to use to pursue Amos?  Amos isn't likely to cost the Broncos any less and probably more.  Stewart isn't an upgrade.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Stewart is a guy I think makes a ton of sense for us. He’s probably about the 10th best safety on the market right now so his price should be reasonable. He’d be a plug-and-play starter who’s only 30 so could potentially be more than a 1 year fix, and he brings the same physicality to the position Amos does with a bit more playmaking ability. Signing him also doesn’t hurt you in the comp pick formula. I think we need to be discussing the importance of that more too, especially since we once again don’t have a 1st rounder next year. 

I'd rather grab Adrian Phillips out of SD, he's cheaper and has more range, but doesn't have the same name recognition as some of the other top safeties in FA, so hopefully he flies under the radar

14 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I'll add that the prevalence of smaller LBs (many of whom are converted college DBs) and the use of 5 DBs as a base package has made the responsibilities of all back 7 players much more fluid. We're no longer in an era where you need traditional box safeties. Teams are deploying a back 7 with varied skills and assigning coverage responsibilities based on each player's skillset.

We're seeing the athletic characteristics for each back 7 position become much less varied. Because of this, the talent pool is growing and coordinators are deploying players as more of a unit where individual limitations aren't as important. The Patriots are very good at this and have done it for years with secondary players who don't always fit traditional archetypes.

This is why a guy like Ha Ha interests me  ..  is from the division and shouldn't command a large cap #

One guy I would love to pick up for the right price is Jamie Collins...I would rotate him and Floyd at OLB...dude can do a bit of everything and I reckon he has been miscast for much of his career inside...he has the ability to rush the passer and cover TEs down the field...ideal for Pagano's "do the dirty work" OLB across from Mack.

I have no problem with us adding an OLB/Edge guy in FA.  In fact I'd say we almost have to.  Irving and Fitts haven't shown enough to think either is a solution as far as that 3rd edge rusher.  I gotta think that Pace and Pagano have a few names in mind.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Friday

-Michael Bennett likely to be released

-Marcus Gilbert being shopped by the Steelers

I would have no interest in either of these guys for different reasons but if it takes money away from other teams so we can get after other guys then all the better.

Mike Garafolo

Verified account

@MikeGarafolo
Following Following @MikeGarafolo
More
Tracking Adrian Peterson’s situation, if he doesn’t stay in Washington, I would mark the #Bears as a potential team to watch. Depending on what happens with Jordan Howard and the RB market, of course. Brad Childress is close with Matt Nagy. A thought for down the line, anyway...

If you did not want Hunt, I do not want to hear one word out of you about adding Peterson being a good idea or something the Bears should explore.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Very interested.

Not sure any team in the NFL is going to have two starting safeties the way this is going 😂...Jackson is an interesting one for the right money...he was always massively overpaid but as the 3rd man on that DL he would be a quality add...history with Rodgers too.

Archived