Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

On 1/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, dll2000 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Fitts takes a step next season.  OLB depth may already be on the team.

Fitts would be the logical guy to replace Lynch.

Windy mentioned Shane Ray who hasn't done much lately here in Denver.  I'd just keep Irving and hope he can ascend.

Another possibility is Markus Golden from AZ.  Maybe a younger Sam Acho type.  Had 12.5 sacks as a role player in 2016 but not much since.

38 minutes ago, G08 said:

I want Hunt so so so badly, @dll2000

Howard missed so many freaking holes this season, you add a legit running game to this offense and I promise you MT10 sets more franchise records next season (God-willing he stays healthy).

Yes, you still need Howard to play through suspension.  So trading him would premature.  

It would be ideal if Howard plays really well and then has some trade value however minimal when Hunt is available.

I don't know that Howard missed a ton of holes.  That may be the case I don't have enough plays closely watched to say.

Last night I watched about 8 MT deep throws and wrote in another thread how he can improve there.  We left a lot of big plays on table either through MT and/or receiver or formation penalties.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I want Uzomah and Hunt in FA.  That is my main wish list.  

I would be happy with a FA class of Massie (check), Uzomah, Hunt, Guard, Kicker.

Resign our RFA's.

Draft a safety, OT and CB.  

Lose Callahan and Amos.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes, you still need Howard to play through suspension.  So trading him would premature.  

It would be ideal if Howard plays really well and then has some trade value however minimal when Hunt is available.

I don't know that Howard missed a ton of holes.  That may be the case I don't have enough plays closely watched to say.

Last night I watched about 8 MT deep throws and wrote in another thread how he can improve there.  We left a lot of big plays on table either through MT and/or receiver or formation penalties.

He definitely missed a number fo them, but from what I sw our OL just can't generate any push against bigger/stronger DL.  They are athletic, but we only have probably 2 guys that ATM really can fit a powerblocking scheme. 2006 had a stronger grou but nowhere near the same level of athletes, they would have been just as bad a mismatch IMO in a zone scheme as we are in a power scheme.

The re-signing of Massie makes me REALLY hope that HH is adjusting the scheme to fit the players this year, as last year was a pretty significant failure in the run blocking department.

I know everyone wants a Robbie Gould reunion, and I’m in that group, but SF just rolled over $35M in cap space to 2019, were expected to contend for a playoff spot before the Garoppolo injury and are now adding a top 2 pick to the mix. I can’t see them letting Gould leave even if they have to tag him to keep him. 

56 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I know everyone wants a Robbie Gould reunion, and I’m in that group, but SF just rolled over $35M in cap space to 2019, were expected to contend for a playoff spot before the Garoppolo injury and are now adding a top 2 pick to the mix. I can’t see them letting Gould leave even if they have to tag him to keep him. 

They will have to tag him.

He wants to come back for family reasons and that will trump money.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I tend to agree with you. 

If he hits FA it'll be interesting to see how Pace responds.  With so many failures since releasing Robbie his need to fix the problem for good has come and I don't see the kid we just signed to a futures contract as being that guy.

If SF does tag him than we should be looking at others like Gostkowski or anyone who can kick accurately when it's less than 60 degrees outside.  Seven missed FGs = 3 more TD scores and three is also the number of games Parkey's misses cost us.

If we had a WR or TE who had dropped 3 sure TD catches in the end zone we'd be replacing him and in fact we did after Bellamy only dropped one.

Assume Robbie would have hit 28 of those 30 attempts in the regular season.  That's 84 points.....14 TDs.  I'd be happy to pay top dollar for scoring like that 'cause we're paying others far more for far less scoring.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t disagree, but what’s to stop them? They don’t have any other FA of note, have already paid their QB and have a ton of cap room. If they think they’re a playoff contender this year (and with Garoppolo back, the #2 pick coming and I’m assuming a pretty good FA haul forthcoming I’m sure they do) then they’d be incredibly dumb not to bring him back on a tag if that’s what it takes.  

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree, but what’s to stop them? They don’t have any other FA of note, have already paid their QB and have a ton of cap room. If they think they’re a playoff contender this year (and with Garoppolo back, the #2 pick coming and I’m assuming a pretty good FA haul forthcoming I’m sure they do) then they’d be incredibly dumb not to bring him back on a tag if that’s what it takes.  

They 100% could tag him.

But he is running a full on media campaign to get back to Chicago, which I understand considering his family is here.

The 49ers may tag him. Then the conversation ends.

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They 100% could tag him.

But he is running a full on media campaign to get back to Chicago, which I understand considering his family is here.

The 49ers may tag him. Then the conversation ends.

Other than his family being here I think he can also see this will be his best chance at a ring before his career ends.

I think there is little chance Gould comes to Chicago to play for peanuts and a ring like many seem to be envisioning or wishing for.

He would probably play for a discount, but not a giant one.    Bears either pay him substantially what he would get elsewhere, which I highly doubt given cap situation (see @WindyCity), or he doesn't come.

Bears are going cheap at kicker and hoping to get lucky.  

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think there is little chance Gould comes to Chicago to play for peanuts and a ring like many seem to be envisioning or wishing for.

He would probably play for a discount, but not a giant one.    Bears either pay him substantially what he would get elsewhere, which I highly doubt given cap situation (see @WindyCity), or he doesn't come.

Bears are going cheap at kicker and hoping to get lucky.  

I think that you underestimate the drive of small children and family. I do not think he play for "peanuts" but I do think that he will be very motivated to come home. He has said it on multiple radio shows.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think that you underestimate the drive of small children and family. I do not think he play for "peanuts" but I do think that he will be very motivated to come home. He has said it on multiple radio shows.

We'll see.  I would love to be wrong.  

On 30/01/2019 at 3:30 AM, WindyCity said:

I am not sure if it is free agency or the draft we need a legit backup for Burton.

Football outsiders has him ranked #1 in terms of TE route participation.

When he is out, that is a massive hole.

If we are thinking super cheap then Tyler Eifert on a 1 year vet min deal would make a ton of sense...clearly very talented when healthy he would be a perfect fit for that flex role...just need to hope the change of scenery could see a change in luck when it comes to injury. 

Archived