2019 Schedule Discussion

brooks1957

Since this is a very snowy Saturday morning, and I am bored - I thought I would break the boredom by playing Nostradamus with the Browns' 2019 schedule. I know that the official schedule release won't be until the week before the draft, so I thought this might be fun to do now. That way, we can look back in April and see how far off I was (likely) - or in January to see how erroneous my projections were (almost a certainty - LOL).

Remember, folks, this is just a wild stab at what MIGHT be - anyone else is welcome to follow suit.

Here is what is known to this point about our schedule:

Home Opponents:

AFC North

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Cincinnati

AFC East

Bills

Dolphins

AFC South

Titans

NFC West

Seahawks

Rams

Road Opponents:

AFC North

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Cincinnati

AFC East

Patriots

Jets

AFC West

Broncos

NFC West

Cardinals

49ers

So here we go with the meat and potatoes of my boredom:

Week 1

BUFFALO

Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield hold the shootout that the NFL is hoping for when this game hit the schedule. Browns prove they are just a bit more of a complete team and hold off the Bills 28-21.

1-0-0

Week 2

at Denver

The memory of the Browns effectively ended their season last year in week 15 is still fresh in the Broncos' mind. This will be the national TV GOTW at 4:25 - and the Broncos  avenge last year's loss with a final TD drive that nets them a 21-17 victory.

1-1-0

Week 3

TENNESSEE

The Browns return home and play a solid all around game - and spoil Titans' HC Mike Vrabel's return to his NE Ohio roots (Walsh Jesuit). In a no frills contest, the Browns grind out a well earned 23-19 victory.

2-1-0

Week 4

at New York Jets

This game will be eerily similar to last year's game in Cleveland. The Jets have their way with the Browns in the first half, and dominate them 17-7 at recess. But Baker figures it out at halftime. He puts an immediate third quarter TD on the board. The defense is pumped by this and give the offense a short field for their next TD, and Ward seals it with a pick six. 28-17.

3-1-0

Week 5

LOS ANGELES RAMS (Monday Night)

The Browns are full of confidence, back home to host our first Monday Night game in forever, the crowd is pumped - until the game starts. These are the Los Angeles Rams. Jared Goff and their high flying offense show the Browns how far they still have to go. Rams dominate 35-17. And it could have been worse. Ouch.

3-2-0

Week 6

at Pittsburgh

Divisional play starts. The Browns come into this game knowing that if they ever want to be considered legitimate - this is the game they MUST win. In a typical AFC North slugfest, Baker picks himself up off the grass one last time in the fourth quarter, drives his team down, and new kicker Matt Gay boots it between the pipes as the gun goes off for a 23-20 win.

4-2-0

Week 7

CINCINNATI

The Bengals come to town with a new coach and a team in transition. The home team takes full advantage - and removes all doubt early. Bengals are never in this one as the Browns cruise to a 37-17 victory, and look forward to the upcoming bye.

5-2-0

Week 8

BYE

Time to rest up

5-2-0

Week 9

at Ravens

The Browns know they let one slip through their hands last year in Week 17 last year on this very soil. Baker wills his team, in this Sunday Night GOTW, to a 26-13 lead - then hold off Lamar and the Ravens in the fourth quarter for a 26-20 win.

6-2-0

Week 10

SEATTLE

The Browns are guilty of feeling too good about themselves after consecutive divisional victories, and the inevitable hangover from the shorter week. In a surprising low scoring game, the Seahawks eke out a 17-13 victory.

6-3-0

Week 11

at New England

Love them or hate them (I choose the latter), the Patriots are still a force to be reckoned with. Especially in Foxboro. Tom Brady has forgotten more about that offense than any of us could hope to learn. In a remarkably dull game, the Patriots dominate the Browns. Baker gets a late TD to make the score much closer than the game was - 28-17.

6-4-0

Week 12

BALTIMORE

Divisional play returns, but for the first time this year - the Browns are facing real adversity. The Ravens are fighting for a playoff spot themselves. in a game that is as physical as you would expect from an AFC North slugfest, the Ravens put the Browns season on the ropes with a 24-21 haymaker.

6-5-0

Week 13

at Arizona

No sugarcoating it now - this is a must win game. This will be the third game of the day on Thanksgiving. So, it is a west coast trip on a short week............. But the gift is we are playing the Cardinals. In the opening act of Mayfield vs. Rosen, the Browns release three weeks of frustration on the Cardinals - play their best game of the season, and rout the Birds 45-20. Season officially back on track.

7-5-0

Week 14

at Cincinnati

For far too many years, the Browns were in the Bengals current predicament. Fresh off a "mini bye" the Browns are refreshed and come out with both barrels blazing. They also stomp on the throat of our in state rivals and dump the kitties with a convincing 28-7 rout.

8-5-0

Week 15

MIAMI

An unexpected bonus in the schedule. A team from the sweltering south must travel north of the Mason Dixon Line to deal with the outdoor elements of the Great Lakes in November. The home team will not ask twice about this bonus - however, this game is much closer than anticipated. In the end, the Browns are victorious 17-15.

9-5-0

Week 16

at San Francisco

The Browns final road trip of the regular season is a long one - to the West Coast to face the 49ers on a Saturday Night national TV GOTW. This game is hyped, but the Browns cannot do what they need to - win and clinch a playoff spot. Jimmy G has the Niners humming, and they prevail 26-23.

9-6-0

Week 17

PITTSBURGH

So here we are. Both teams hate each other. Both teams need a win to make the playoffs. The snow flurries are in the air, the ground is hard - it will be a typical AFC North knucklebuster for the division title. Both teams trade haymakers. With just over two minutes to go in the game, the Browns hols a 20-19 lead. They have the ball facing a critical 3rd and 4 on their own 39 yard line. The play has worked all day, so it's Chubb off right tackle. But TJ Watt comes out of nowhere and stuffs Chubb. The Browns punt. The Steelers take possession on their 10 with 1:54 remaining and no time outs left. In what possibly is his last game at First Energy Stadium, Roethlisberger prepares the dagger one last time for the Browns. The Browns play incredible defense on the drive and yet the Steelers seem to wiggle off the hook...........

0:23 to go - 4th and 5 at midfield - Ben with the shotgun snap - he looks and floats one..... pass is tipped and COMPLETED... Peppers makes a game saving tackle at the 22. Steelers frantically rush to the line and get the snap spiked - with just 4 ticks left in the season for someone. The Steelers will line up for a season extending FG of 39 yards. Their kicker is perfect on the season from 40 yards and closer. The teams line up, the snap is back ball is down....................

And there is a flash from around the corner! Denzel Ward uses the last drop of energy he has on this day to clear the corner and go full horizontal......... He feels something hit his fingers as his speeding body crashes to the semifrozen turf. He is able to turn his head just far enough to see that what hit his fingers was the ball, and it has been redirected to just outside the right upright.

Ward never remembered getting mobbed by his teammates in the next 5 seconds - but the bottom line was.............

THE BROWNS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

10-6-0

Unrealistic

Too many losses

Too few wins

Too many close game

Not enough blow out wins

14-2 or better is more realistic

At least 4 wins by 40 is all but certain 2 of those(against Cincinnati might even hit 50).

We will clinch before week 17 and Pittsburgh will be eliminated by week 13.

Some fans haven't caught up with Dorsey, Freddie and Baker yet. *Shakes Head*

3 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

I'm predicting 12-4 with loses to NE, LAR, and splitting Pit and Balt. We win the AFC North and get a 1st round bye in the playoffs. We make it to the AFC Championship game and lose to KC. Then in the 2020 season we win the SB. 

Well when you put it that way it sounds simple.

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I completely understand why you’d want this.

And I hope like hell we don’t.

We’re we just there in 2017? And lost a home game?

Nobody wants to start pregaming at 5am.

It would have to be a road game as the home teams have been announced.

Archived